Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,209

0 members and 2,209 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Is my tank too big?

I have my 82 gram BP in a 20L, and now I'm thinking it may be too big for him. I've had him for about three weeks now, and I have no idea on an age (or sex.. we have too many female animals in this house). He has hiding spots, but is still showing a lot of stress. He'd rather strike then ball up, and it makes it hard to get him used to handling, considering I look like a giant meal to him. He's a good eater.

Could I move everything closer to his hiding spot so he doesn't get as stressed? His water bowl is on one side of the tank and his hidey spot is on the other. He shed December 23rd-24th.

0.0.1 Normal (Ares), 0.2 Afrian Pygmy Hedgehog (Amelia & Aly), 0.1 Pomeranian (Adrian)

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes a 20L is too big for that little guy!

I didnt realize you had him in such a big tank.

What you can do is either :

A : Buy a smaller tank
    B: Buy a tub to keep him in till he grows large enough for the tank
    C: Buy a rack because you know you want more already
    D : Section of the tank with a sturdy piece of cardboard or wood

The aggression is defiantly due to stress. But you also have to remember that such a young snake will look at you like you are something thats going to try to kill it. One he reaches about 150g is when I see a turn around in attitude.

Now if I remember your hiding spots are one of those ceramic stumps and a half log right? Because those really dont offer the kind of hiding spots a snake needs. Since you have a tank and its for display I would recommend these hides :

http://northerngecko.net/decorations...rra-caves.html

2 of them one at each end of the tank.

Thats about all I can recommend.

What are your temps at and how are you heating him?
    Last edited by Quantum Constrictors; 12-29-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum Constrictors For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-29-2012)

Thanks

Question I have a related question--

I just moved my guy out of a 20-gal into a 40 because he was starting to get a bit cramped. He's got a basking lamp and a heating pad on one side, his water and hide on the other plus an ambient tropical lamp. He's been hesitant to explore, but when he does he tends to do a lot of face-rubbing against the edges of his tank. Is he stressed out? Will it calm down as the new tank starts to smell like him again? I think he's getting close to a shed, but nowhere near ready to lose the skin (his last shed was about a month ago). He hasn't been fed yet this week either, so I don't think it's jaw replacement. He's never been aggressive or defiant, he just seems... concerned.