Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,446

4 members and 3,442 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Ethical Dilemna?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I saw this issue sorta briefly mentioned in the thread about a good starter handgun.

(Youre carrying a gun in this hypothetical situation). If you came home and saw someone walking out the back door with your jewelry box is it worth it to shoot the person and take a human life over $300 worth of jewelry?

My initial reaction to reading that was absolutely yes, id have zero problem doing it. In fact if i saw someone (a person i didnt immediately recognize) walking out my back door with any of my stuff id have no problem shooting them. It would have to look like an obvious robbery though. Now i personally dont have any guns. I've put some serious thought into getting one eventually but at the moment the most dangerous gun i own is a pellet gun lol. Do you guys think that my opinion would change after i got a handgun? Am i a bad person for reading that and having that kind of reaction? I'd just like to hear what people think on the subject. I feel like my initial reaction sorta makes me sound like a trigger happy psycho lol. If youre comfortable saying so, let us know if you have a gun. If you have any stories similar to the hypothetical scenario go ahead and share them if you like.
    There is no right or wrong answer to your question, really. You're going to be judged on the totality of the circumstances, the laws in effect in the state/area in which you live and any number of other factors, including case law for similar situations, mitigating and extenuating circumstances, etc. If I were confronted with that situation, as a 200+ pound individual trained and proficient in the use of various empty hand martial arts techniques as well as being armed, no, I would not take that shot. If a 90 pound female carrying a child were confronted with that situation with the "robber" being a 275 pound Patriots offensive line looking fella, that would dramatically change the perceived level of threat and the circumstances in that case. Much like a boxer or prize fighter being held to a higher standard given their training and experience if they get into a physical altercation with someone. The burden and onus of the situation is on you; know the law, know your rights and make dang sure of things before you pull the trigger. Once it's sent, no calling it back. If the situation dictates it, by all means defend yourself or those around you if it's warranted. As soon as the aggressive action(s) on the part of the individual(s) committing the offenses ceases, YOU then become the aggressor and you better make sure of what you're doing if that's the case. Again, heat of the moment, moment of passion, etc. Like I said, there is no right or wrong answer and it's largely going to be a case-by-case basis for the situation you mentioned. Food for thought if you ever decide to upgrade your Red Ryder, lol!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks

Thats really, really creepy lol.
    x2, Would've freaked me the hell out, that's for sure

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    We are a Castle Doctrine state. The week after it went into effect there were 5 justified shootings, since crime in our city dropped by 30% and is still falling. There something in the mind that says "be aware if you kick this door in there is a good chance the redneck on the other side just might teach you to play a harp."
    I really wish this were the reality where I live. Crime is rising, especially with AB109 early releases, and now talk about abandoning warrants on those criminals who are fleeing... There's almost no penalty now, no incentive to change their dirty deeds, and since the prisons are full, no way to hold them.... Of course maybe that could work to the benefit of the rest of us too...

Quote Originally Posted by OsirisRa32 View Post
    I was always told growing up its better to shoot to kill than shoot to wound in cases of self defense basically due to our law suit loving society and a dead man can't sue...though some would argue his/her estate could....
    The family members would file a "wrongful death" lawsuit, or at least here they would. And sadly there's a reasonable chance they would win. Real life case: Burglar robs a 90 year old man at gunpoint, the victim shoots the burglar, burglar attempts to shoot him in the head then flees when he realizes he's out of bullets. Burglar charged with attempted murder, burglary, and firearm offense by a felon, counter-sues the victim for causing great bodily harm, financial damage, and dissolution of his marriage. That's why you shoot to kill and not just injure.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2040468.html

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsoldier001 View Post
    What happens if it wasn't jewelry that was being taken. But your kids or your snakes? Would you automatically pull the trigger with no hesitation? I am just curious when its something real and not materialistic.
    Animals are considered property by law, so no, couldn't shoot the thief in that circumstance. If someone were attempting to kidnap my child or other human relatives, I WOULD take some sort of action, but I probably would NOT shoot the perpetrator in that circumstance, because I would not want to risk shooting my loved one. Close contact, movement, and struggle... I am NOT a good enough shot to be comfortable with that situation. Exact action depends on the situation: is there a knife or other weapon being used? How close am I to the kidnapper? Immediate threat of death or injury? etc etc.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks

Thats really, really creepy lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentine Pirate View Post
    x2, Would've freaked me the hell out, that's for sure
    And that is why we live in the middle of Amish country Ohio. Not too many panty raids here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AK907 View Post
    And that is why we live in the middle of Amish country Ohio. Not too many panty raids here.
    According to discovery channel the Amish mafia is a real danger in those areas tho hahahaha if the Amish mafia is a real thing I will pee myself cuz the show is cheesy
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Ax Men > Amish Mafia
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    My house is guarded by a Rot, a German Shepard, and a ankle bitter. If those don't deter a criminal we have 2 side handle batons and a revolver loaded with hollow points. However, I would not shoot someone stealing stuff, that is why I have big dogs and batons. The gun is for self defense or defense of others, but if I pull that I aim to kill not wound and I won't hesitate, especially if any of my family is present. As mentioned you do need to know your local laws as well, they have to inside your house, facing you and you have to fear for your life or the life of another to pull a gun, a gun is lethal force, even shooting to wound is likely to kill so if you need a less then lethal option pick something else. In the instance mentioned, I would not use the gun unless the person came after me.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sama View Post
    My house is guarded by a Rot, a German Shepard, and a ankle bitter. If those don't deter a criminal we have 2 side handle batons and a revolver loaded with hollow points. However, I would not shoot someone stealing stuff, that is why I have big dogs and batons. The gun is for self defense or defense of others, but if I pull that I aim to kill not wound and I won't hesitate, especially if any of my family is present. As mentioned you do need to know your local laws as well, they have to inside your house, facing you and you have to fear for your life or the life of another to pull a gun, a gun is lethal force, even shooting to wound is likely to kill so if you need a less then lethal option pick something else. In the instance mentioned, I would not use the gun unless the person came after me.
    Yea but someone else had already mentioned in the thread that if someone breaks in and gets bit by your dog you could be held liable lol. Idk what the laws are where they live or where you live though.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    If they bite yes, but if they look in the window and see 2 big dogs or if they approach the door the dogs freak out any time someone gets on the porch, hence deterant. If they actually enter the house and get bit, I will fight for my dogs with everything I have.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sama For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (12-22-2012)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sama View Post
    If they bite yes, but if they look in the window and see 2 big dogs or if they approach the door the dogs freak out any time someone gets on the porch, hence deterant. If they actually enter the house and get bit, I will fight for my dogs with everything I have.
    And HOPEFULLY the burglars will be smart enough to move on to another house!

I have 2 dogs, primary job is pet and companion, 2nd job is deterrent. These dogs are highly unlikely to bite anyone unless cornered, but they sure will raise hell barking. I have to tell you about my dad's dog though. He's a border collie/lab mix (best we can figure anyways). He DOES bark, even barks at me when I come over to visit and he knows me! Then one day my dad's house got broken into. They hopped the wall that surrounds his back fence, popped the screen out of the kitchen window and climbed in, whole time the dog was in the house. They then put his dog in the garage, stole part of his coin collection, 2 laptops, and left through a bedroom window. Some guard dog...
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast