Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

1 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Question for gun enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    haha, this situation gets brought up in the CHL class in Texas. There was a court case that actually says YES it is completely your right to stop with lethal force someone running away with your property OR your neighbors. However, the ethical delima becomes was that $300 in jewelry WORTH taking another humans life in that moment?? The answer should always be no - no matter the level of scum a person may be, there life is worth more than a $300 box of jewlery. Where you draw the line is up to you. And believe me, it's a line you must draw and stick to. Having a plan on when it's going to be ok and when its not is a big part of the challenge.

As Brandi did say though - no disrespect mean. Just driving home a very important point!
    I'm really glad you fully explained where you were going with that! Ha HA! I was like, "What? This guy thinks it's ok to shoot a dude over some jewelry or a VCR?!"

You are from Texas, so there's no telling what you would think is acceptable means to stop someone from taking your crap. You Texans be Crazy! I'd starve to death before I'd run the risk of being caught stealing a carrot out of your garden
    Adversity does not build character, it reveals it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Yep. Texas is very pro gun and property protection. We even have legal justification to shoot someone who is merely on your property after dark!
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks
    I live in a very rough area of Belfast in Northern Ireland! It's not legal to own a gun here unless you have a gun license, something which is very difficult to obtain, and only under very specific circumstances. Some of the areas that I pass through are very high crime areas where violent crime is frequent, and at no point in my life have I ever felt it necessary to have a gun! For me, any Joe Bloggs even owning a gun is a very alien concept, never mind carrying a gun concealed on your person in public! I suppose I just find the concept very hard to understand! I enjoy shooting, and when I'm in holiday in thailand I go to a range as much as I can but for me guns are something used by police, the military and 'bad guys'! I don't mean my views to offend just thought I'd give some input of a non US sort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    That's just it - bad guys will always have guns. Citizens without protection are left as easy targets for these individuals. In Europe you guys have more knife injuries due to assault than in the US. It's not about carrying a gun to be a bad mamba jamba its about self defense and protecting your right to live.

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-19-2012)

Thanks
    Like everyone said go to range or gun store but at a gun story you can only see how it feels in your hand which is important but you need to feel how you like the trigger pull and recoil. I personally love my glock 22. I didn't like glocks until I shot one and I was sold. I also have a 1911 which I like but prefer the glock over it still except stock glock mag release and slide release there too short Imo. Glock amazingly easy to strip and clean

Thanks
    Love my p99, but am looking to get the pps from walther. A friend of mine has one in .40 and I love how thin it is. You can honestly not even tell he is carrying at all. These are my preferences though, and honestly the final decision is up to you. As mentioned before your best bet is going to ranges and gun stores to put your hands on as many guns as possible to find what best suits you.
    Mini monitors, other select herps, and aquatics.

Thanks
    I'm all for finding something that feels comfortable, but my Glock 22 didn't feel very good in my hands but now I shoot more accurate with it than anything else, but that's because I've shot 1,000's of rounds through it. I REALLY like the Smith & Wesson Shield. They have it in a 9mm and .40. I have a 9mm on order but its so backed up I dunno when I'll get it. They are pretty affordable being about $400. Kimbers are absutely amazing guns but you won't get one under $1,000.
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I'd recommend an H&K MP 5 or UMP in .45 ACP or an HK 91 on a shoulder sling, lmao! Kidding, just kidding. As has been said, shoot anything and everything you possibly can before you make your decision. There is no "magic" caliber. When it comes down to it, a bullet is essentially a missile designed to penetrate, much like a knife, if you think about it. People die from gunshot wounds in one of two ways, generally speaking: either there is a massive disruption to the central nervous system (head shot, spine shot, etc.) that causes instant incapacitation or they bleed out and this causes their body to shut down from lack of oxygen, primarily through a lack of blood to transport oxygen to the brain and other vital organs. With those two factors in mind, I personally carry the largest possible caliber I can shoot accurately to place as many large holes as possible in the person threatening me or my loved ones with serious bodily injury or imminent death. And I practice, a lot, as you will lose the ability to think rationally and accurately when/if a situation occurs and will be relying on muscle memory when the proverbial hits the fan. Shooting accurately and gunfighting in particular is a perishable skill. As far as brands, you really can't go wrong with Glock, Sig Sauer, Heckler and Koch, Smith and Wesson (M&P line), Colt, Springfield XD's, Kimber, some Rugers are decent and I'm sure there are others that are proven weapons that I'm forgetting. Spend some money on whatever you get and don't be fooled into thinking cheap is necessarily a good thing, at least as far as guns go. For all the time you spend researching and picking one to carry, spend twice that time at the range practicing dynamic drills (moving while shooting, doing pushups to get your heart rate/respirations up to simulate an adrenaline dump, etc.) as well as punching holes in cardboard. Practice clearing jams/malfunctions. Have a friend load your magazines out of your line of sight and load a few spent shell casings in each to teach you how to clear a failure to fire or failure to eject. Then start learning the laws and legal requirements in your state for what justifies deadly force. A gun isn't a toy or an accessory or "swag"; it's an enormous responsibility that has life or death consequences if you don't respect it. I'm not trying to talk down to you, just saying know the law and your rights and you'll be fine. Another thing to keep in mind is how you plan to carry it. If you carry it on a holster on your belt, be aware of it "printing" through your clothing, either with an inside the waistband holster or an outside the waistband holster. You might have to buy jeans a size larger to allow for the gun or wear slightly baggier clothing, depending on how you choose to carry it. They cost a little more but night sights might be something you consider adding or buying already installed on whatever you get. Good luck and I hope you never have cause to use it but glad you're taking the time to do things responsibly and exercising your rights in the process. Take care!
    Last edited by youbeyouibei; 12-19-2012 at 05:24 AM.
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/ for when the time comes and you do make a choice, I'd hikely rec. these guys! Their holsters are top of the line quality, easy to use, and just great all around! They help keep you from printing but give you quick access with little hassle :-)

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    I like the kel tecs I have the P-3AT and have carried both as a concealed carry and was my secondary LDE and day off carry when I was a state trooper. They are comfortable to carry, the pull is smooth with no bulky parts. For Home defense I love the KSG and the 12 round capacity http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/shotguns/ksg/
    Last edited by iCandiBallPythons; 12-19-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast