Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

4 members and 3,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: Piggeh or Bunneh

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guinea Pig

3 37.50%
  • Rabbit

5 62.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    None of the above.
    Ferrets.

But IF I had to choose, the rabbit. We had a lionhead rabbit who thought it was a dog and hung out with the shepherd at all times. And he always ran back to his cage to poop in the litter box when he was free roam.
    G-pigs are so boring and really noisy. Not so bright...

Whoever said rabbits are for eating, Guinea pigs are for eating too. Delicious little buggers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 12-19-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Need more famous guinea pigs?
    How about wonder pets
    http://www.nickjr.com/wonder-pets/

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Guinea pig or Rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    None of the above.
    Ferrets.

But IF I had to choose, the rabbit. We had a lionhead rabbit who thought it was a dog and hung out with the shepherd at all times. And he always ran back to his cage to poop in the litter box when he was free roam.
    G-pigs are so boring and really noisy. Not so bright...

Whoever said rabbits are for eating, Guinea pigs are for eating too. Delicious little buggers.

I would absolutely LOVE having a ferret like you dont even know Nikki!!!

I have been crazy for them.

But I cant convince my mom to ever let me have one
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Yea nikki has a point. My neighbors are ecuadorian and they eat guinea pigs lol.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Skinny pig.
    Changed my mind.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    My neighbors are ecuadorian and they eat guinea pigs lol.
    Guinea pig is good!

Anyway, I'd skip right past both and head right towards a chinchilla. A little more difficult starting off, but they are fun animals.

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    Guinea pig is good!

Anyway, I'd skip right past both and head right towards a chinchilla. A little more difficult starting off, but they are fun animals.
    Damn I have wanted one of those too!

For the past 10 years I have wanted a ferret.

Nikki is making me lean towards one now lol.

And if my mom doesnt like it well. As my good friend Mike Lopez says "ask for forgiveness not permission" .... In other words... Get one and dont tell her until I have it home in my bedroom. LOL My moms a pretty laid back women who loves animals so I know a ferret would grow on her.
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'd go with a rabbit, but it's mostly because GPs are too noisy for me. Rabbits tend to be a little bit smellier, especially if you have a male, but you can litter train them so they don't go all over the place like GPs. Bunnies are usually bigger also, easier to cuddle with.

I wouldn't get a ferret. They stink! Even if you clean up their poo/pee as soon as they do it and bath them daily (which you wouldn't want to actually do), they still stink. I lived with a couple girls in college that had two, and even though they took excellent care of them, they were just too smelly for me.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Chinchilla's are cool. We had a pair along time ago. Funny watching them take dust baths.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sita View Post

I wouldn't get a ferret. They stink! Even if you clean up their poo/pee as soon as they do it and bath them daily (which you wouldn't want to actually do), they still stink. I lived with a couple girls in college that had two, and even though they took excellent care of them, they were just too smelly for me.
    Ferret odor can be controlled. They have a unique scent. But most offensive smelling ferrets are icky because of a poor diet, unclean bedding, or too many baths.

Lots of commercial kibble diet contains vegetative matter and fiber. Some even contain fish. Ferrets are obligate carnivores. They cannot digest plant material or carbohydrates, which also promotes their odor and disease (insulinoma). Fish will increase their odor as well. A poor quality diet will also make huge stool since the ferret cannot absorb any of the carbs and plant fiber. So a lot of waste. 90% of ferrets in the North America are bred by the commercial breeders, Marshall Farms. They start all their kits on their own personal diet, which is very unhealthy (and fishy). The Many pet owners never switch foods because it negates the health guarantee on the animal. And sometimes the animal imprints on food and never wants to eat anything else...

A ferret fed on whole prey will have very little odor. They will also have a huge decrease in stool size. As obligate carnivores, they absorb all of the meat and organs. Basically the only thing that comes out is fur.

My youngest ferret was fed Marshalls food. The kibble itself smelled awful and it definitely made the ferret stink. I switched him to a quality high protein diet/whole prey and the odor and waste decreased immensely. I sleep feet away from my ferret cage and can't smell them. In contrast, I've been to apartments where I could smell the ferrets before even entering due to poor diet and bedding that hasn't been washed in a while.

And personally as someone who has handled hundreds of ferrets, I really believe their bedding and litter smell more than the animals themselves. It's important to wash all bedding and dump litter weekly or less. The oils from the ferrets get trapped in the bedding without frequent washed and can build up.

Also you wouldn't want to bathe a ferret daily. Or even monthly and yearly unless the ferret gets poop on them or something. Baths will make a ferret smell more. They are self groomers like cats. Bathing a ferret will strip them of their oils. They have oil glands all over their bodies to keep their fur in good condition. (They don't feel oily though.)
    Striping the oils will make the oil glands go into overdrive to try to replenish itself. The only time I bathe a ferret is when I bring them home for the first time and when they get poo on their fur, which is rare. Some of my ferrets have gone years without a bath. They simply don't need it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Quantum Constrictors (01-02-2013)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast