Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

1 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    I have the proper temp gradient in my tank. However, I was wondering what the temps on the two hide boxes should be. Plz help.

Thanks,
    Kane

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kane! Welcome to the forums!

What are you using to measure your temps, and where in the tank is/are the thermometer(s) located?

You want the inside of the warm hide to be between 90-95F, but not more than 95. The cool hide should be 78-85F. Basically, your hide temps should, ideally, match your temperature gradient.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome.

Originally, I was using the Eco-Terra in tank thermometers (the dials, not the mood-ring type.) My gradient has always been fine in all my setups. I just bought a probe thermometer/hydrogometer so I could check temps other places. To my surprize I found that one of the two hides had a temp of 108. I guess part of it was over the heating pad. I've rearranged my tank so one hide is all the way on the cool side and the other is in the middle. I'd just like an estimate of what their temps should be.

I've also ordered a temp gun from pro-exotics so I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Temps

Yes, those little analog dials are typically inaccurate...and even if they are measuring correctly, they can't really give you the temps you need to know, like the inside of a hide or the surface of the substrate. That's why I really like the digital thermometers with probes. You can tuck a probe into a hide and get a good idea of what is really going on in there. Good thing you caught that high temperature!

Sounds like you've got things under control. I guess sometimes in order to get the INSIDE of the warm hide to be the proper temperature, it may not be exactly on the warm side of the tank. Anyhow...aim for the temps I mentioned above, wherever the hides end up being located. Good luck!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Mine (thanks to my big apple herp thermostat) stick almost exactly at 93 hot 79 cool.
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org