Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

1 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine

Thanks

Quarantine

So I will be getting my spider ball for Christmas and am wondering about quarantine. My father owns the pet store that I am getting the snake from. I know that there are no mites. Can I bypass a full quarantine and just wash my hands before handling my other snake? Any other thoughts?

0.0.1 Colombian Rainbow Boa (Houdini)
    0.1 Leatherback Beardie
    Balls:
    1.0 Spider ........................ 1.0 Lesser Woma
    0.1 Lesser ........................ 0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Russo Leucistic
    0.1 Super Blast Yellowbelly
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.1 Cinnamon
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Pied
    0.1 Het Pied

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Mites aren't the only concern when it comes to QT. There are a number of things that don't show up immediately (which is why we QT new reptiles for at least 90 days).

Proper QT isn't that hard just keep the new snake separate from your established snakes, and only interact with the new snake or your established snake(s) per day. Do this for 90 days. If you suspect that anything is wrong at any point in those 90 days reset the countdown.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: Quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Mites aren't the only concern when it comes to QT. There are a number of things that don't show up immediately (which is why we QT new reptiles for at least 90 days).

Proper QT isn't that hard just keep the new snake separate from your established snakes, and only interact with the new snake or your established snake(s) per day. Do this for 90 days. If you suspect that anything is wrong at any point in those 90 days reset the countdown.
    This.

I would still quarantine your snake. ALL new additions need to be kept seperate. because of their slow metabolism, it may take weeks for an infection to start showing itself on a snake. If you have them all together, then you've exposed all your other animals to the same sickness.

Congrats on your new baby! My mother got me a male corn snake (for one of my females) for Christmas and I'm purchasing myself a 2000g female normal ball python! New additions are wonderful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I might add that having at the very least a fecal exam be done. (I had 9 rats tested from 3 suppliers and 2 or the 9 had parasites) freezing is not often long enough or cold enough to be certain of 100% kill of all possible parasitic vectors.

I would give serious thought to having a blood screen also done. This can establish a base line of there is some health issues down the road but also will point out many internal organ issues.

I might consider an IBD test. IBD is the one of the most scary things a snake can have. It is very rare in pythons. There is so little known about it that makes it scary. The incubation period is unknown it could be quite long however Dr Jacobson DMV said there is no evidence it kills quickly and could be carried for long periods of time. The vector of transmission is unknown, The speed of death is unknown and the treatment is also unknown. There is a test however for it this can be done by Dr. Jacobson at the university of Florida.

90 days I would consider to be a minimum.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I might add that having at the very least a fecal exam be done. (I had 9 rats tested from 3 suppliers and 2 or the 9 had parasites) freezing is not often long enough or cold enough to be certain of 100% kill of all possible parasitic vectors.

I would give serious thought to having a blood screen also done. This can establish a base line of there is some health issues down the road but also will point out many internal organ issues.

I might consider an IBD test. IBD is the one of the most scary things a snake can have. It is very rare in pythons. There is so little known about it that makes it scary. The incubation period is unknown it could be quite long however Dr Jacobson DMV said there is no evidence it kills quickly and could be carried for long periods of time. The vector of transmission is unknown, The speed of death is unknown and the treatment is also unknown. There is a test however for it this can be done by Dr. Jacobson at the university of Florida.

90 days I would consider to be a minimum.
    I don't have the money for any of that. I'm just a college student. If any illness were to crop up I would have no problem paying for tests but I just don't have the cash to do preventative tests. I'm very aware of IBD and will take precautions to prevent to spread of it if my snake has it. On a side note if a mod could combine this thread and my other one that would be great. I'm still getting used to tapatalk.

0.1 Leatherback Beardie
    Balls:
    1.0 Russo Leucistic
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.1 Cinnamon
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Pied
    0.1 Het Pied

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    As far as I know, a fecal isn't expensive...

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
    As far as I know, a fecal isn't expensive...
    How much are we talking about? I can't afford much.

0.1 Leatherback Beardie
    Balls:
    1.0 Russo Leucistic
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.1 Cinnamon
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Pied
    0.1 Het Pied

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    I quarantine new arrivals for 12 months. That's right, a full year. The longest incubation period I have heard of for a virus in a ball python is 10 months. I'm not into taking risks. 90 days is not long enough.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I quarantine new arrivals for 12 months. That's right, a full year. The longest incubation period I have heard of for a virus in a ball python is 10 months. I'm not into taking risks. 90 days is not long enough.
    Ok...first of all many of the viruses that we all seem to be freaked out about move more quickly in pythons than boas. Secondly if a python has IBD anyways the ONLY thing to do is put it down. There are no treatments, no cures, and very little preventative measures that can be taken. I would love the source you have for a virus that incubates for 10 months in snakes.

Thirdly while IBD does show an increased incidence rate in captive bred snakes versus wild caught ones...the overall prevalence rates of IBD are incredibly low. Getting your snake from a well know and reputable breeder is a large and positive measure one can take. Also a breeder who is honest about whether or not they have ever had any IBD cases....no being the operative answer to that question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pennstater6 View Post
    I don't have the money for any of that. I'm just a college student. If any illness were to crop up I would have no problem paying for tests but I just don't have the cash to do preventative tests. I'm very aware of IBD and will take precautions to prevent to spread of it if my snake has it. On a side note if a mod could combine this thread and my other one that would be great. I'm still getting used to tapatalk.
    If your snake has it the ONLY THING TO DO IS PUT IT DOWN. It is untreatable and 100% fatal in pythons. The modes of transmission are unknown so there is very little you can do to prevent it once a snake tests positive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast