Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,072

0 members and 1,072 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

Which Blue Tongue?

So I'm pretty sure our next scaley addition will be a BTS. My youngest daughter wants a lizard for a pet, and I am really excited to get a BTS. I know she's young and will probably lose interest, so I figured we should get a lizard that I want. . With her young age, I will be doing most of the care etc.

Anyways! I have found CB northerns for sale, and two irian jayas. I wanted to get a young one, to grow up with us. I can't decide which to choose! My biggest concern is temperament.

Any thoughts/input?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Personally, I am partial to northerns. From what I have heard, they tend to be slightly more docile, and a bit larger. I just absolutely love the colors of them! Still, you can't go wrong either way, just make sure to post lots and lots of pics of your new baby!

Also, just in case you haven't seen it, be sure to check out this caresheet http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm
    By far the the most complete care guide of any reptile I have ever seen

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brobertson For This Useful Post:

RoseyReps (12-08-2012)

Thanks

Re: Which Blue Tongue?

Quote Originally Posted by brobertson View Post
    Personally, I am partial to northerns. From what I have heard, they tend to be slightly more docile, and a bit larger. I just absolutely love the colors of them! Still, you can't go wrong either way, just make sure to post lots and lots of pics of your new baby!

Also, just in case you haven't seen it, be sure to check out this caresheet http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm
    By far the the most complete care guide of any reptile I have ever seen
    Thanks! I will post tons of pics for sure
    I have that site on my favorites and have read through it at least 4 times now. It is one of the most detailed caresheets I've ever seen! Love it!

I've heard IJs are more docile, and then northerns are...so I'm a bit confused there. I think it is more of a CBB vs wc/cb. I tend to like the northern color more, but I did see an IJ that was pretty awesome. Bright orange/red with black stripes. Stood out among his siblings a good bit.

How long do you think a 40g breeder would last either of them? I plan on getting a larger enclosure, but the 40g breeder is what I have to work with currently.

Thanks
    i have an IJ and he is my buddy! i love him its the first reptile that i can hang out with like a dog

Ryan Hatmaker - Hatmaker Reptiles-

Colubrids and Sand Boas

"Once you get your first snake, you've sold your soul to reptiles. You can try to leave or run away... but they will find you."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ridinandreptiles For This Useful Post:

RoseyReps (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseyReps View Post
    Thanks! I will post tons of pics for sure
    I have that site on my favorites and have read through it at least 4 times now. It is one of the most detailed caresheets I've ever seen! Love it!

I've heard IJs are more docile, and then northerns are...so I'm a bit confused there. I think it is more of a CBB vs wc/cb. I tend to like the northern color more, but I did see an IJ that was pretty awesome. Bright orange/red with black stripes. Stood out among his siblings a good bit.

How long do you think a 40g breeder would last either of them? I plan on getting a larger enclosure, but the 40g breeder is what I have to work with currently.
    I'd say that you could get away with about a year (depending on growth rate) in the 40, and then transition to a bigger cage like a 4 by 18 or a 4 by 2. For an intelligent lizard like a BTS, try to give them as much space as you can for their adult enclosure. From what I have heard, although they seem lazy, they utilize every inch of their enclosures.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to brobertson For This Useful Post:

RoseyReps (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Sounds good! We were thinking of getting a 4x2 from dragons4you because they come with incandescent and florescent fixtures built in. But that won't be for probably 6 months or so.

Thanks for all the info guys

Thanks

Re: Which Blue Tongue?

We've had a northern BTS since July, purchased at a week of age. I'd recommend one whole heartedly. She's (we think she's a she, but who knows) fun to watch in her custom 4' by 2' enclosure...she definately utilizes the entire space, climbing onto her hides, or burrowing into the cypress mulch. She'll eat almost anything we're eating , and we'll hand feed her fruits, veggies, etc, as well as the occassional bite of canned cat food...last week she gobbled down a F/T mouse that had broken in half in the freezer. She's quadrupled in size since we've had her. I'll be building her an outdoor enclosure in a few months to let her summer outside...they really can't get enough sun.
    1.0 yellowbelly '11 "Rocco"
    1.0 spider het ghost '12 "Cliff"
    0.1 superpastel '12 "Adelle"
    0.0.1 blue tongued skink "Reggie"
    15 African cichlids
    0.1 french bulldog "Stella"
    1.0 pug "Norman"
    0.2 domestic shorthair cats "cookie dough" and "Shadow"
    60 + bonsai

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dav4 For This Useful Post:

RoseyReps (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    We decided to go with the Northern! Will update with pics after we pay / get permission from the breeder