I'm so sorry for your lost. That must of been painful for your family.

Overall, I agree with the others, and it sounds like you had a "backyard" breeder (who else would give away a puppy at that age?). Or was he a pet store puppy? Either way, I'd check local laws and contact the breeder - I find that the best route of catching a hiding breeder is by:
1. Call nonstop at different hours, days and from different phone numbers in a kind spirit but slightly scolding - in a gentle way.
2. Give a warning in the message and increase it with duration.
3. Send an official letterhead stating that you will report the breeder to whatever organization it is involved with whether it be the government, breed association, etc.
4. Track them down in person.

Works for me

He was really young to be sold out to a new home. I mean, the youngest I see is 6 weeks, but that is only in situations where the dog is for special performance homes, and they want to start training early.

To be honest with you, he looks kind of off for a labrador puppy to me, even though he is cute as can be! He looks a little apple headed - like a chihuahua (which often can be seen suffering from brain issues, such as the one he has).

If it makes you feel any better, I really relate to your pain. I have fought with breeders for years over puppies I would buy, show or co-own, when I showed and trained dogs professionally in conformation. I have gotten a puppy who was allergic to meat and then have the breeder disappear (even though she was no common backyard breeder - Eukanuba/Westminster winning lines with top rankings for most of her dogs).

I now only adopt and I get better performance champions out of it than the overpopulation of breeders and their poor puppies that end up as victims.

Sorry for the long post, I'm a little tired and when I'm tired, I end up rambling