Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

1 members and 2,830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question

Thanks

Quick question

Hi there, I really don't like the fact my first post on the forum is me asking for help, but I have to do it. I'm "new" to keeping reptiles in the sense I've had my corn snake for a year and my female BP for around a month.

The Ball Python (Kez) hatched on the 9th of July, 2012 and was eating fine. She came to me and has had one feed, a couple of days after I got her here and she settled in. She weighs 143g and is being kept in a 9L RUB. The second time I tried to feed she had literally just went into blue so I thought "I'll try get her to eat and see if shes a blue-eater or not". Proved to be a mistake as since then shes not taken a feed. She struck out for the mouse but missed it and hit the tub that shes in. Now, could her non-eating behaviour be down to this hit? How would I resolve this? I've offered her 6 feeds, all heat up with hairdryer/sitting on a plate over boiling water, tried to get her to strike off my hand (breeders reccomendation) and all to no avail.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

BPnet Veteran Exotic Ectotherms's Avatar
    Thanks
    First of all....... Second....how often are you offering her food? You should only offer it every 5-7 days, even if she is refusing. Offering more than that can stress her out. Are you offering a fresh mouse every time or freezing and re-thawing mice? Also, please describe how your tub is set up and what the temps and humidity is. A lot of food refusals are due to some type of environmental stress.
    1.0 Mojave 100% Het VPI Axanthic "Pleepleus"
    1.2 Albino Common Snapping Turtles "Beavis, Patty & Selma"

Thanks

Re: Quick question

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Ecthotherms View Post
    First of all....... Second....how often are you offering her food? You should only offer it every 5-7 days, even if she is refusing. Offering more than that can stress her out. Are you offering a fresh mouse every time or freezing and re-thawing mice? Also, please describe how your tub is set up and what the temps and humidity is. A lot of food refusals are due to some type of environmental stress.

Thanks
    -Well I was offering her every 4-5 days. I last offered her yesterday and decided I would cut down on handling and offer her a feed on saturday/sunday.
    -Yes, it's a fresh mouse everytime, I've never re-thawed food for my snakes, I don't do it with myself so why should I do it with the snakes just to save a little bit of money.
    -Its a 9L plastic RUB, locked on top, medium cave and a small water dish, aspen bedding and temps are around 90 on the warm side and around 76-80 depending on the time of day on the cooler side. Humidity is around 50%.
    The tub is clear so I'm kinda swaying towards that could be the/part of the reason. But how much of the tub should be covered?

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    At this point you shouldn't be handling at all until the snake starts eating again. Your snake is extremely underweight for its age.

Is the heat pad you are using to heat the tub with being regulated by a thermostat and monitored with a probed thermometer?

You might have to try feeding live. What size mice are you offering to this snake? How big are they in comparison to the snake?
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: Quick question

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    At this point you shouldn't be handling at all until the snake starts eating again. Your snake is extremely underweight for its age.

Is the heat pad you are using to heat the tub with being regulated by a thermostat and monitored with a probed thermometer?

You might have to try feeding live. What size mice are you offering to this snake? How big are they in comparison to the snake?

I am using a Pulse Proportional Habistat heat mat and an IR thermometer. I was thinking that I may have to go down that route. I'm offering medium mice which measure about 2-3inches head-butt and are as thick/a little thicker than the snake itself.

Could the hitting the tub be anything to do with it?

Thanks
    I seriously doubt it.

Are the hides that you are using tight fitting for the snake?

like so?

~Aaron

Thanks
    No, it's not as tight as that although she does touch the sides of the hide. Should I put in a smaller hide?

Thanks
    I would try that, and absolutely no handling unless it is truly necessary. Just leave the snake alone for a week then try feeding a live mouse that is the correct size.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    So you would recommend feeding live? Aswell as the hide adjustment.

Thanks
    Don't handle your snake at all. Leave her alone for a week. Only reach in to clean. Then you can offer food. Make sure the mouse is heated up to 100 degrees F. You can measure with a temp gun. An 110 on the face is good. Usually mine is ok with 100
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast