Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,156

2 members and 3,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

2 in 1 Home Made Gutload

Found a video on youtube that had this awesome gut load recipe, and it's been working beautifully for my last shipment of crickets! It's also easy because we have so many fruits, veggies, and greens around the house for our iguana that this ends up being cheaper than any commercial gut load and water crystal combo I can buy. I imagine on a larger scale it would be more expensive, but I only worry about a thousand crickets at a time.

Used:
    1 collard leaf
    4-6 leaves off of our endive
    1/2 a banana
    about 1/4 an apple
    1/4 a green pepper
    1/2 chopped carrot
    1/4 an orange
    1/4 cup of oats
    an eyeballed teaspoon of Repashy Super Veggie

Washed all plant matter, diced up solids for the bullet blender, and then just shoved all of it in. I'm guessing when I say 1/4 cup of oats because I just added them on top of the plant matter until the blender cup was almost full and then added a little bit of water so it would combine a little easier. The Repashy was a last minute add on, and it might be safer to add more, but since I was using the little blender I didn't want to overdo it.

Blended everything into a very fine green liquid. My mixes turned out to be pretty smoothie like.

Poured it all into ice cube trays, and voila!

I ended up having to make 2 batches due to the size of the bullet blender, but it worked out that I could fill an ice cube tray with each cup. After letting them freeze until I came home from work the next day I spread them on a cookie sheet to freeze for another day. They're all neatly stored in a baggie next to the rats now

I just pop one into the cricket tub and it's gone in 2-3 days. I change it about as often as I would change water gel, and I like having fresh veggie matter available at all times. I'm still using a dish of dry Fluker's gut load in combination with the plant cubes so it doesn't go to waste, but as soon as I run out I don't think I'll be buying any more of it.

Next time I think I'll do a couple different batches so I can alternate different plant cubes for variety. I figure any veggie matter that you'd feed to your herps is fair game. Kicks up the nutrition content as well

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentine Pirate For This Useful Post:

TeguSteve (01-08-2013)