Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

4 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Yay, glad Lola is home safe and sound!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yay! Good to hear it went well.

I didn't include pull the stitches out because many vets don't use them externally anymore. They use the stitches that degrade over time for the internal suture and surgical glue to seal the incision. So no stitches or staples to deal with!

As to the benefits of spaying and neutering...not only does it help cut down on the number of pets without homes or that end up on the street, it also helps keep your pets alive and healthy longer. As already mentioned, spaying helps eliminate the possibility of mammary cancer in females. In males there is also greater benefit than "keeping your male from running off to meet the ladies all the time". It also keeps male dogs from getting prostate cancer and having other issues with their prostate which can make it neigh impossible for them to defecate properly.

Just in case you were wondering.

- Nakita

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (12-03-2012)

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Lola Gets spayed today!

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess90 View Post
    Yay! Good to hear it went well.

I didn't include pull the stitches out because many vets don't use them externally anymore. They use the stitches that degrade over time for the internal suture and surgical glue to seal the incision. So no stitches or staples to deal with!

As to the benefits of spaying and neutering...not only does it help cut down on the number of pets without homes or that end up on the street, it also helps keep your pets alive and healthy longer. As already mentioned, spaying helps eliminate the possibility of mammary cancer in females. In males there is also greater benefit than "keeping your male from running off to meet the ladies all the time". It also keeps male dogs from getting prostate cancer and having other issues with their prostate which can make it neigh impossible for them to defecate properly.

Just in case you were wondering.
    Bolded part : My mother (who is a nurse) and I just got a look at the stitches and this is what she got. Its so clean and perfect too. My mom said that its some of the best work she has seen.

After surgery they also did Laser Pain Therapy.

I love how smart you are Nakita
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum Constrictors For This Useful Post:

WarriorPrincess90 (12-03-2012)

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptiliachnids View Post
    Bolded part : My mother (who is a nurse) and I just got a look at the stitches and this is what she got. Its so clean and perfect too. My mom said that its some of the best work she has seen.

After surgery they also did Laser Pain Therapy.

I love how smart you are Nakita
    Aww thanks! lol.

And laser pain therapy! That's a fancy vet you've got there Joey.

- Nakita

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

Quantum Constrictors (12-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Nice Joey!
    Congrats on the successful procedure.
    Glad to hear Lola is doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by gsarchie View Post
    I would feel horrible because of what is actually happening. I personally don't support spaying and neutering pets, and it is becuase I believe that doing so has no benefit to the animal if housed properly and only benefits the owner. Un-necessary procedure IMO. I know that male dogs that are neutered live longer because they will escape and go chasing ladies but if you as an owner maintain the fence in the yard properly that can't happen, can it? Not telling you that you're a bad person, just why I personally would feel horrible about it.
    I'm with WarriorPrincess. She got it down. The pros of spaying/neutering far outweigh leaving an animal intact. Unless you intend your pet to breed, there is no reason to keep it intact.

Same and additional info as Nakita.

Spaying a female will prevent mammary cancer and uterine infections. Neutering a male will prevent prostate and testicular cancer. Not to mention no surprise unwated litters, which does help the overpopulation of homeless animals.

Spaying and neutering will also prevent unwated behaviors such as marking and vocalization. Intact males will scent mark everything. Being indoors may or may not prevent that. When that intact male catches a wiff of another intact male, he will go nuts and try to re-scent everything he already scented in the first place.
    Female cats will vocalize very loudly and pee everywhere to attract males.

Males will also have a lower chance of trying to escape the yard to find a female. And aggression fueled by testosterone can be negated.

And have you experience a female dog in heat?
    Not pretty. It is very messy. Say goodbye to white carpets, because it's going to rain red. You can try using a diaper pad, but good luck trying to keep that on.

All in on. Spay and Neuter. More pros than cons.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Quantum Constrictors (12-03-2012),WarriorPrincess90 (12-03-2012)

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    Oh I love how smart you are too Nikki! LOL

And yes they are soo fancy LOL. I think they are a wee bit over priced but I also havent really looked around because I have gone to them so many times before and know that they are they best in the city I live in. I would much rather pay more for amazing quality then to pay less and end up paying more for shoddy work.

All in all. The spay(includes the laser therapy), micro-chip,e-collar and a lyme booster shot it cost me $340. I am more then happy with paying that much for the quality I got from this vet.
    Last edited by Quantum Constrictors; 12-03-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum Constrictors For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (12-03-2012)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12