Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 928

0 members and 928 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,121
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Collections..coins?

Hey does anyone collect coins? I like collecting things that the value grows an I've been looking into coins. I have a few but there nothing to big dealish just silver but I'm trying to find good info on it and a good place to start when I get my loan and tax money. I collected cards when I was younger but finding I have thousands and many are worthless and even the good ones noone is buying as of now. An what are some other things people collect that they use as investments (not herps tho I know some have them as investments)
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks

Re: Collections..coins?

Baseball cards are one of the roughest investments...the late 80's and 90's killed the market with extreme overproduction. Anything I have pre-1985ish is still low, but I can cash them in at a high return on original cost. Anything later, I'm lucky to break even.

I have a ton of tribal art/artifacts from Mexico, Papua New Guinea, and Irian Jaya. Considering that I bought all of it firsthand from the producers of it, I can easily sell it for tons more than original cost...but I would then have to factor in the travel expenses and personal memories involved with the items, so it would be hard for me to part with them.

I also have a very modest coin collection, both US and from other countries I've been to...actual value is about 1.5x's of what I originally put out. Now isn't a good time to invest in silver because the price of silver is so high.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    I have a couple of safes full of coins. I used to collect them when I was young.
    I think it's hard to collect anything in hopes it goes up in value now days. Everyone has the same idea.

With my luck, I'm sure I would be better off using them as face value :p

Thanks
    Ya far as silver i have like sixty old half dollars that are the silver kind (my rents have those locked up still in their security box cuz of how I was when I was 18-21) and a little Troy oz of silver just trying to figure out where I can expand cuz investments are important lol an like you said cards are down hill an since I was born in 88 most mine are 80s an up
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks

Forgot to mention, but I also dabble in scrap metal...it's a lot of hard work, but for the most part it's free. If you have room on your property to store stuff without making it look like a junkyard, a truck, and don't mind getting your hands dirty, it's a pretty solid hobby that won't make you tons of money, but will keep a little cash in your pockets.

Thanks
    My hippy cousin does scrapping (he's my dads cousin an is 58) but he used to own a hundred acre junkyard so most his scrapping has been cleaning up the junkyard an he made a killin doing that lol
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I collected coins for awhile but i dont really anymore. I really have no idea what any of its worth. Its not even that many, maybe like 2 cigar boxes full. Next time im driving through NJ ill have to stop in and have you check them out for me Rob! Rob id be interested to hear more about how you do the scrapping. Do you just like pickup people old appliances theyre getting rid of and stuff and take it to the scrap yard?

I have a lot of football cards. Not too much old stuff. Most of my good stuff is modern auto/#'d/jersey cards.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    I had a coin collection, but sold them to pay rent a little over a year ago. I still have a ton of old pennies (I have a weird fascination with old pennies idk), but they really aren't worth too much more than face value.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Rob id be interested to hear more about how you do the scrapping. Do you just like pickup people old appliances theyre getting rid of and stuff and take it to the scrap yard?
    That's part of it Mike...I look out for local community clean out days, drive around to see what people are putting curbside, knock on their door(during daytime hours only of course) and ask if they mind me taking some things...refrigerators, washing machines and dryers are nice pick ups, as well as any electrical wiring/cords. I also get a lot of stuff from my job...aluminum cans, old golf clubs, broken appliances, etc... I have a good sized piece of property with a rather large storage buiding/workshop, so I store stuff in or behind it until I have enough to bring up to the scrapyard, which is usually about once a month, occasionally twice. I've also come across some trashed vehicles and heavy machinery that I've had delivered or towed to my house and call the scrapyard to come pick it up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    That's part of it Mike...I look out for local community clean out days, drive around to see what people are putting curbside, knock on their door(during daytime hours only of course) and ask if they mind me taking some things...refrigerators, washing machines and dryers are nice pick ups, as well as any electrical wiring/cords. I also get a lot of stuff from my job...aluminum cans, old golf clubs, broken appliances, etc... I have a good sized piece of property with a rather large storage buiding/workshop, so I store stuff in or behind it until I have enough to bring up to the scrapyard, which is usually about once a month, occasionally twice. I've also come across some trashed vehicles and heavy machinery that I've had delivered or towed to my house and call the scrapyard to come pick it up.
    Neat. I could see myself doing something like that to make some extra cash.

Just need to get a house with a garage and a pickup truck first lol...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast