Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,415

1 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Shipping live animals over seas

So I am taking off to Scotland here soon to spend some time with friends. During my stay my brother, who has never owned snakes, will be taking care of my two ball pythons. I may be pursuing a graduate program opportunity in Ireland for about a year. Since I have a person I trust to babysit my snakes during my leave I am not worried to leave them for a few months, however I am hesitant to leave them for longer than a year. I understand that travel for these animals can be so stressful it turns fatal, but I am curious about the process of shipping snakes from the US to the UK. I most likely will not bring my snakes over to the UK unless I end up building a permanent life overseas. I would still like to know my options and am wondering about holding periods if there are any. Any information will be helpful.
    Last edited by Ophidia; 11-29-2012 at 03:17 AM.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Achilles
    0.1 Spider Ball Python- Indiga
    0.1 Western Hognose- Freyja
    0.1 Very fluffy flame point Siamese cat

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    From what I understand its expensive. I was looking into importing some animals from the states to Germany. All the people I spoke with last time I was there said it is not really worth it. Check with some of the major breeders, I know some do it. From what I have heard though is expect 5k plus. There are a lot of great breeders in the UK i would say your best bet would be to get new snakes if you move there.

0.1 Albino
    0.2 Classic
    0.1 Het. Red Axanthic
    0.1 Mojave h. Ghost
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Spider h. Ghost
    1.0 Black Pastel
    1.0 Blue Eye Leucistic h. Ghost
    1.0 Lesser
    1.0 Pastel h. Ghost

0.1 Morelia bredli
    0.0.1 Varanus acanthurus (Silly)
    0.1 Brachypelma auratum
    0.1 Scottisch Fold (Tipsy)
    0.1 Abyssinian (Prim)

http://www.facebook.com/AAExoten

Thanks
    It won't be $5k for one or two animals, but there are significant costs involved, both coming and going, and you are looking at $1000+ for the shipping and paperwork.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

Ophidia (11-30-2012)

Registered User Reptile Express's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Shipping live animals over seas

You'd need to comply with US and UK wildlife laws and this is costly.

You will need to apply for and obtain a CITES permit ($100USD). This is currently taking 2 months for permit to be issued. Make sure you fill out one for 'pets', and not the commercial form.

You will need to book an inspection by a federal wildlife agent, and this runs up to $331USD for a CITES II (ie ball pythons) export ($95 less if done at a designated port).
    You will need to fill out a 3-177 declartion form (this price is included in the $331).

If the inspection is done at a Non-Designated port then an 'Exception to Designated Port Permit' will more than likely be required. (Contact your US Fish and Wildlife office for details). I know for commercial exports it's definitely needed (which is what we service), but not sure if it's required for exporting pets.

For export of pets, a US Fish and Wildlife Import/Export license generally isn't required. I would confirm with that office again though. It all depends on which agent inspects your shipment..

On the UK side you will require a CITES import permit, as well as providing health certificates that you got from the U.S., and more than likely vet clearance fees once animals are in the UK, import clearance fees etc. The original U.S. CITES export permit and 3-177 declaration (both stamped 'CLEARED') form must accompany the shipment.

Price can easily reach $1500USD with paperwork, inspections and freight charges.

Hope this helps,
    -Sam Fard
    Last edited by Reptile Express; 12-13-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Reptile Express
    USA/CANADA Importing/Exporting NOW AVAILABLE!
    Join us on Facebook!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile Express For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-13-2012)