Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

1 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Red face A few questions from a noob

1. I've been hearing (from local owners) that I can start holding my bp right away and its fine. I haven't taken them up on their advice because I was told otherwise here...but was wondering- exactly why do I have to wait after 4 feedings before holding? I've been asked this question, and dont really know what Im talking about soo yea lol. Figured its something I should know.

2. When my bp gets older...will I HAVE to breed? I came across an add of someone selling their albino BP because they didnt have a female to "pair" them with. I still have a while before mine gets big enough, Im sure but was curious about that.

3. If I get my BP sexed, should I wait until after the 4 feedings before doing it?

4. I was told they get fed only 1/week but I've been reading that babies should get fed 2/week. Should I start feeding 2/week as well?

That's it so far XD Thanks in advanced for the help!

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luvepriscilla View Post
    1. I've been hearing (from local owners) that I can start holding my bp right away and its fine. I haven't taken them up on their advice because I was told otherwise here...but was wondering- exactly why do I have to wait after 4 feedings before holding? I've been asked this question, and dont really know what Im talking about soo yea lol. Figured its something I should know.

2. When my bp gets older...will I HAVE to breed? I came across an add of someone selling their albino BP because they didnt have a female to "pair" them with. I still have a while before mine gets big enough, Im sure but was curious about that.

3. If I get my BP sexed, should I wait until after the 4 feedings before doing it?

4. I was told they get fed only 1/week but I've been reading that babies should get fed 2/week. Should I start feeding 2/week as well?

That's it so far XD Thanks in advanced for the help!
    1. Most people suggest they need a week to settle in because of transitioning to a new environment and most bp's wont eat of stressed.when I purchase a new hatchling,I have them shipped on mondays for tues delivery (which is my feeding day for most). I offer food and if it accepts,I will handle it within a couple of days after the meal but keeping the time to a minimum. If it doesnt eat then I leave it alone until it does.
    2. No,you do not have to breed them.It is purely a choice.
    3. I would have the animal sexed by the person selling it. Even if it were just a pet,I would want to know ahead what I am buying. They can be sexed anytime.
    4. Hatchlings are fed every 4-5 days until they are around 500 grams. Then once per week is fine for a pet juvie to adult.This is what works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by iCandiBallPythons; 11-28-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

Re: A few questions from a noob

I waited 3 days to hold mine....the 3 days was so he could adjust to a new owner, new home etc

You dont have to do anything with your pet you dont want to....no one is going to force you to breed

My BP was sexed by the breeder within a week or so of hatching he told me when I was asking some questions before buying my little guy..I dont know why 4 feedings is any sort of schedule?

Continue to feed your snake on whatever schedule he was fed on before you got him...I spoke to my BPs breeder at length about his eating habits and schedule....I have mine on a every 5 days schedule....when he gets a bit bigger (hes only 3.5 months and abotu 215 grams) ill switch him to every 7 or 8 days or so...or adjust the feeding schedule as needed....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I usually wait till after 24 hours after I fed them their first meal. I just picked up a desert enchi yesterday. She is due to eat fri so ill wait till Saturday or Sunday to handle her if she eats.

No you don't need to breed them.

Just make sure who ever is sexing the snake knows what they are doing. I have read its possible to cause injury if not done properly.

All of our younger snakes under 500 grams are on a 5 day feeding schedule.
    1.0 Bee-Baby Bee
    1.0 Pied-White Night
    0.1 White Diamond/BEL-Luci
    1.0 Het Russo-Linus
    0.1 Gargoyle-Sienna
    0.1 Pewter het pied-Valentina
    0.1 Champagne Cinnamon Het Albino-unnamed still
    0.1 Pastel Calico-Calli

2.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    I have another question.

I fed her today for the first time and she took it (whoop!) buuut I'm not sure if I fed her enough. She ate one hopper (which is about the size of her belly width) and I tried feeding her another hopper but she went into her house when I offered it to her. I don't want her to under-eat ;p

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Good job getting her to take. She will be just fine with that, don't over offer.

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    She will be fine. Offer again in about 4 or 5 days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    Sounds like your off to a good start.
    Skagit Reptiles

Thanks
    Ahh niice. Thanks for the help! I'm glad that I seem to be doing something right... I think just getting everything set up is sort of over-whelming..now to start actually enjoying my new buddy (no worries, I know I have to wait another 2 days before handling).
    Also wanted to ask- should I be feeding hoppers or should I give a bigger-sized rat?

Pics below:

*lol, maybe I shouldn't have included the dead rat in the pic.. ;p

Thanks
    Nice lil snake you got, I can't tell with the pic if hoppers are big enough if she's still a young snake I'd guess hoppers are big enough for her mine ate hopper rat sized mice for a few months then he ate two at a go till I got him on rats.
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast