Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,353

0 members and 3,353 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    playing with a cat doesn't even require work. get a little lazer light and you can have a cat exausted in 10 minutes just moving your hand around. if your sister is to lazy to do that drop her off at the shelter and keep the cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: rant about my sister's stupid cat

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine Pirate View Post
    Good luck Some people just aren't suited to owning pets (Or sometimes just a particular type of animal). Doesn't mean she'll never be suited to it! Or that she won't change her tune later! But it doesn't make it any less disappointing when things aren't going well for the animal
    I am holding out hope that she will take responsibility for the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by barbie.dragon View Post
    Make her pick up the cat, take it to your car, hold the cat while you're driving there. Explain the cat will probably spend the rest of its life in a small cage with no one to love it and it is her fault. And have her hand over the cat to the shelter and take a tour of the shelter. I sounds incredibly harsh but pets especially cats live terrible and sad lives in the shelter. And because like you said she's not a kitten, she will probably never get adopted. Good luck. And you're not doing the wrong thing by putting the cat in the shelter so don't worry about it. The cat's fate is entirely in your sister's hands. And maybe you can show her how fun it is to play with the cat. Most people don't realize exercising a cat is quite fun.
    I like that plan, I just hope she doesn't hate me for it. I have volunteered at a shelter before and I know those cats don't live happy lives. Their cages are usually barely big enough for them to move around in. I feel responsible for this cat though because I told my sister she could keep it when we found it and because I feel responsible for everything that lives with me (including my sister). I hate to see an animal suffer and this cat will not do well if locked in a shelter cage for long. She loves to be with people and play.

I do agree that exercising a cat is fun. I have played with this cat before and I find it hilarious when she has to stop and pant for a few minutes before she will chase the toy again. I just don't have time during the week to play with her, my dog and reptiles are my priority when I get home from work.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dillan2020 View Post
    playing with a cat doesn't even require work. get a little lazer light and you can have a cat exausted in 10 minutes just moving your hand around. if your sister is to lazy to do that drop her off at the shelter and keep the cat.
    I don't get why my sister refuses to play with the cat. She spends so much time sitting on my couch watching TV anyways. You don't have to be involved in the play to tire the cat out, just move the toy while you are watching TV.

I would do it, but I don't usually sit down to watch TV and I really feel that she needs to be responsible for her pet.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Poor little kitty

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrDooLittle View Post
    Poor little kitty

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree, but I don't know what else to do. The more I think about the more this seems like a case of neglect and boarder line abuse. This isn't much different than the rescue ball pythons we see. This animal is not having it's care requirements met and the owner refuses to do it. In this case the best thing for the animal is to find it a new home.

If my sister was willing to make an effort to take care of her pet then I wouldn't consider surrendering it, but she won't. As I have said before my priorities are not to this cat, my animals have to come first. While I may have been financially responsible for this cat (buying cat food, toys and paying vet bills), she is not my pet and I don't have the time to meet her needs that my sister should be fulfilling.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    I am happy to report that after tormenting my sister (and to some degree the cat) we were able to reach a compromise and the cat is still with us.

I did end up driving my sister and the cat to the humane society and when we got there, I asked her if she was sure this was what she wanted to do. She said of course not and then we actually talked and worked out a deal. We are going to convert our laundry room into a kitty play house and when no one is home she will be in there. My sister also agreed to play with the cat daily. The beardie and kenyan sand boa cages will be moved into my bedroom (not sure where they are going to fit just yet >_<) and we will let her use the snake racks as perches. I'm not worried about her opening tubs because one rack as a sheet tied to the front of it and the tubs on the other one are hard to pull out.

My sister doesn't know it yet, but she will be buying the cat more scratching posts once she starts getting regular paychecks. I am going to be picking up a laser pointer either today or tomorrow and another toy with a feather. She's pretty much completely destroyed the feather on the one that we do have but it's funny to see the flips she will do when you play with her.

This is going to sound really backwards (trust me I still can't wrap my head around it), but while we were at the humane society (with our current cat secured in the car) we looked around and decided to get her a kitty playmate. We are hoping having a kitty playmate will give her someone to play with while we aren't there. This could totally blow up in our faces and instead of solving one problem create another, but I am hopeful. The cat we agreed on is an orange and white male. He didn't come home with us last night because he still needs to be neutered, but he's right around the same age as my sister's cat and is also a stray. We will be taking her cat in to get spayed tomorrow and hopefully the new cat will be joining our family this weekend.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinra For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (11-28-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Haha! Pet addiction isn't limited to BPs! That's great that you two have worked out a plan. Best of luck to all of you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Squirt gun? Nah, garden hose!
    1.0 Cat "Squirrel"
    1.0 66% Poss Het Clown "Lou-cifer"

Thanks

You're a good sister for taking care ofyour sister AND her cat. Good luck with the new arrangement...I really hope it works..........and get more litter pans (litter pan per cat PLUS one) and keep them in different locations in the house if you can, and have your sister clean them daily.
    1.0 yellowbelly '11 "Rocco"
    1.0 spider het ghost '12 "Cliff"
    0.1 superpastel '12 "Adelle"
    0.0.1 blue tongued skink "Reggie"
    15 African cichlids
    0.1 french bulldog "Stella"
    1.0 pug "Norman"
    0.2 domestic shorthair cats "cookie dough" and "Shadow"
    60 + bonsai

Thanks
    Congratulations on your new cat! When my SO and I were looking for a cat we ended up adopting two, as well. They don't seem to get into anymore trouble between the two of them that one would by itself. Even if they did it'd be worth it to me to know a single cat isn't lonely all day while I'm at work.

My cats love watching (and sitting on) the reptile tanks. I put a towel over the ball python's tank so he doesn't get freaked out by them during the day, but he doesn't seem to mind their presence when I'm feeding him. With two cats and my SO and i watching him eat, it's become a family affair!

The cats' favorite perch is our blue tongue skinks old tank, right next to the heat lamp. The BTS is super curious and would come out and sniff at them. They never seemed overly interested or aggressive with each other, so I let them sit up there. The tank was always double-checked for security, of course.

Good luck with your new little friend!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast