Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,357

1 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Encouraging females; Novice and open to tips.

hello everyone,

I'm new here and to mice breeding. I currently have a 1:2- the male a "fancy" from Petco, one brown female another "fancy" from a different Petco the other a white feeder from my local store. As soon as I introduced them the male tried to force things but things have calmed down since. I put them in only on Friday (the brown female Saturday); I'm patient and know it takes time, but my only frustration is that I hear lots of squeaking but no plugs (I check in the morning and in the night before bed) The white female was in estrous Fri/Sat and it looks like the brown female is already proestrous. Seems like the females are refusing the male but I'm not sure why. I noticed my male has some bulges on his side- is this normal? I heard that if a female believes something is wrong with the male she will refuse him. But he's very healthy otherwise, active, great coat.

I am keeping them in clear plastic shoe storage container that I put lots of holes into. I know most use a 10gal tank, but I heard they do better for mating in smaller quarters and I'm tight on space- I live in a studio. They seem completely fine with the amount of space though, they spend most of the time cuddling or exploring the things I place in there for them. Aspen bedding, a small hide that they all sleep in, water bowl (until I get a water bottle very soon, it took me a while to figure out how to rig the bottle onto the container but I change the water l2x a day at the minimum, usually 3x or whenever it gets messy to keep it clean) and PLENTY of food. They get along very well, sleep together and do not fight. I try to keep them stimulated, they love the little toilet paper rolls and I placed some toilet paper in there and they started nesting with it. Trying to keep them on a 12 light/ 12 dark cycle.

I know it is very early to be concerned being that it's only been 4 days but my main concern was with those bulges on the male.

Just looking for some feedback and if anyone can give some advice or tips from previous experiences.

Thanks

Thanks
    How old are the mice? Some mice breeders don't start breeding till 3-4 months (not feeder mice but pet mice, I don't know if it's different for feeders). Anyways here's a link of breeding mice
    http://www.fancymice.info/breedingprocess.htm
    Last edited by barbie.dragon; 11-26-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

3. The Following User Says Thank You to barbie.dragon For This Useful Post:

Roscoe (11-26-2012)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    At least in regards to rats (I suspect mice are similar), the females will sometimes clean the plug out very quickly. Not seeing a plug doesn't necessarily mean successful mating hasn't occurred, so all you can do is wait and see what happens next. If the females go back into heat you'll know they weren't successful.

What do you mean by bulges? Do you have a photo?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sorraia For This Useful Post:

Roscoe (11-26-2012)

Thanks
    We will need photos of the male's bulges. I'm sure that isn't affecting the matings though. Yes it is way too soon to know if anything is happening or not. I don't look for plugs and I don't think that is a dependable way to know if they've mated unless you actually see the plug. I'm saying that just because you don't see plugs, that doesn't mean there wasn't any action. Just curious, what are you feeding them?
    Corns:
    0.0.1 Normal; 0.1.0 Amel Motley
    1.0.0 Butter Motley; 0.1.0 Charcoal

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew21 For This Useful Post:

Roscoe (11-26-2012)

Thanks
    I'll try to take and attach a picture of the bulges. I think he might just be a bit chubby.

I believe the white "feeder" female might be young- I have no idea how to tell the age of the mice, but I am pretty positive that the "fancy" mice are mature enough to breed, my guess is over 8 weeks at the minimum. The male is large and healthy, and the brown female is smaller but seems mature. Part of the reason why I got the brown one was in concern that the white one isn't old enough, but I doubt she's less than 5 weeks, it was a precaution.

I am currently feeding them typical pet store bought "mouse" food with seeds and such. I felt that the blocks were over priced at Petco and don't have the space or need to order the 50lb bags I saw online. I try to pick out the corn and sunflower seeds once in a while (I feed them twice a day to keep the food fresh) and I'll supplement some all natural peanut butter (that I eat myself, no sugars, corn syrups just peanuts in the ingredients), apples or plain unroasted peanuts/almonds once in a while in the event that the females get pregnant/are early pregnant to provide the fats and proteins. I gave one of the females a tiny shred of plain turkey once and she loved it.

I kept an eye out for a plug just in case but gave up with the aspen bedding, it's hard to see and I have it pretty thick so they can burrow. I'll keep it in mind that it happens.

Should I invest in a third female and try to find an older one? I don't want to stress a situation, especially because they're in pretty close-quarters already.

Thanks
    I'd leave them be. If they are young, it'll just take a longer time to get babies. If you add another female, they will probably fight. Also, if I were you, I'd raise up some from the first litter and use those to replace the ones you have now.
    Corns:
    0.0.1 Normal; 0.1.0 Amel Motley
    1.0.0 Butter Motley; 0.1.0 Charcoal

Thanks
    If I have a rat, mouse, or asf that has any bulges i just feed him off. They tend to not breed as well or not at all when they are deformed or have some kind of bulge also this will accure with females as well. but sometimes they will still breed.
    .1 Corn Snake
    .1 Spider
    .1 Normal
    1. Pastel
    1.Albino