Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,340

3 members and 3,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Pleading for help - trying to save Charlie's life!

Hey everyone,
    I am really reaching out here - I am trying to get a dog home from Afghanistan but this is a very expensive thing to get done. The following is from my facebook page:

"I am going to try to get a dog sent home from Afghanistan to keep him from getting put down. We have had to kill numerous dogs out here, as many of them are feral and they can carry a large number of diseases that can seriously compromise
    the health of soldiers. That said, this particualr dog, Charlie, has been around since he was only 6 weeks old and is very loved by the soldiers here. To save him from being destroyed we gave him to an Afghan NCO at a checkpoint to get him off the FOB, however on a recent mission he started following the trucks to our objective and then ran all the way back to the FOB from the objective with the trucks. Now that he is back I am afraid that the new unit here will put him down once we leave. I have contacted "The Puppy Rescue Mission" and am going to go through the process to get him sent home, but I have to raise about $4000-$5000 to get this done. The Pupppy Resuce Mission will raise some but the faster I can get it raised the faster he can get home. Once the Seals that are here redeploy I will be giving Charlie to one of them, but I will keep him in the mean time. Any and all help will be appreciated to help save Charlie, who is one of the sweetest dogs that I've ever met. If you can send anything to help it would be greatly appreciated. Please either contact me or send donations through payapl to bruce.a.archambault@us.army.mil. If for any reason I am unable to get Charlie sent home all money raised will go to "The Puppy Rescue Mission" to help other soldiers that are trying to get dogs sent back to the States from Afghanistan. Beth, do you know anyone that could help with this and could you share this post with anyone that you know that is a dog lover and would be willing to help? Thanks in advance!"

Here is a link to the FB post:
    https://www.facebook.com/bruce.archa...type=1&theater

If you guys can't see the link please add me as a friend, and share this with anyone that you know!

Mods - if this violates the TOS then please feel free to let me know, and if needed place it into a different forum (for sale, maybe?). I am not asking anyone here for money, specifically, I am just asking that they share the FB post with everyone that they think may be able to help.
    Last edited by gsarchie; 11-24-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Thanks
    EDIT: Facebook page says not available - check security/privacy settings and url!

Bruce, I will post this as well and see if I can't get you some help. Does the dog have a home yet for back in the states? Do people have a way of knowing how much still needs to be earned?
    Last edited by Anatopism; 11-24-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    I will post regulary with progress and one he is up on the Puppy Rescue page they will be able to see how much still needs to be raised. Also, I edited the privacy settings so you may be able to see it now!
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Thanks
    We just adopted a boxer pit mix yesterday. But as soon as i have the extra cash ill send some ur way.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    How do you know charlie doesnt have any diseases that could compromise the health of your soldiers?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I'm all for helping our canine pals and hate to be the downer, but I have a few genuine questions.

You said you had to put down the other dogs because they are feral and carry diseases that could compromise the heath of the soldiers. Other than being tame, what makes Charlie any different in regards to disease carrying? I am going to assume he has been in contact with the other dogs. Was he vaccinated against diseases? Is there anyway for him to see a vet in Afghanistan to make sure he's healthy?

This dog sounds amazing. I admire your efforts to help save his life. But I would hate for you to raise up all the money and have him go through the stress of transportation to find out he has something incurable that ends with a poor quality of life or worst case scenario: requires euthanasia...

Good luck. Hope everything works out for you and Charlie.

EDIT:Mike beat me
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 11-24-2012 at 03:55 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (11-25-2012)

Thanks
    This is why soldiers are NOT supposed to care for/take in wild animals while deployed. This dog could very well be carrying diseases or any number of other pathogens, possibly ones that we don't have here in the US. This can be an endangerment to the health and well being of deployed troops. This dog could also now apparently compromise a mission. There is a special published directive that gets written up for any deployments called General Orders. One of these orders that are emplaced prohibit troops from taking in wildlife. Not to mention that we have enough animals here in the states already that are not being cared for, why bring another here? The wildlife there, while deployed, is best left alone. Or at least left behind for the next troops to take care of.
    While deployed to Iraq we used to catch wild hedgehogs, camel spiders, scorpions and snakes. (One of the snakes was a black desert cobra.) We would return them to the wild though away from troop areas. Dogs and cats were for the most part put down on site by the base QRF.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but there are reasons why General Orders should be followed, besides the fact that they are Lawful Orders punishable by UCMJ action.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    He mentioned on the post that Charlie would have to go through a full vet check including parasite and disease tests before he could come to the states.

It is quite chilling to hear that protocol dictates our military to put down domestic animals on site. I'm sure its just me imagining the worst.. but all I can see is someone saying "look! A kitten! Go shoot it before it kills us! "....

I do understand the reasoning. It doesn't make it any easier to swallow, but I understand.

I, for one, hope he raises the money needed, and hope that Charlie passes his health check with flying colors.

Thanks

Re: Pleading for help - trying to save Charlie's life!

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    This is why soldiers are NOT supposed to care for/take in wild animals while deployed. This dog could very well be carrying diseases or any number of other pathogens, possibly ones that we don't have here in the US. This can be an endangerment to the health and well being of deployed troops. This dog could also now apparently compromise a mission. There is a special published directive that gets written up for any deployments called General Orders. One of these orders that are emplaced prohibit troops from taking in wildlife. Not to mention that we have enough animals here in the states already that are not being cared for, why bring another here? The wildlife there, while deployed, is best left alone. Or at least left behind for the next troops to take care of.
    While deployed to Iraq we used to catch wild hedgehogs, camel spiders, scorpions and snakes. (One of the snakes was a black desert cobra.) We would return them to the wild though away from troop areas. Dogs and cats were for the most part put down on site by the base QRF.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but there are reasons why General Orders should be followed, besides the fact that they are Lawful Orders punishable by UCMJ action.
    On my way to getting a Masters in Epidemiology......trust me its nearly guaranteed that the area of the world that Charlie is coming from has diseases that those of us in the U.S. haven't even heard of before. Thats not to say they are zoonotic or that he will act as a carrier. Its my understanding through these international dog rescue missions they go through a full quarantine and vet run down before being sent on the final leg of the journey to U.S. stateside owners...

Thanks
    There is already a plethora of dogs in need of homes here in the US. Why bring another one here?
    As heartless as it may be; I think that if people would stop rescuing stray dogs and cats, spaying/neutering the pet ones and euthanizing the shelter animals, the problems with them here would get better. It burns my butt when Craigslist zealots flag posts of people trying to find new homes for a pet they can no longer keep, but yet they keep up all the "rescue" ones. What the heck really? How is one animal in need of a home any better than another’s?
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TessadasExotics For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (11-25-2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast