Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,087

3 members and 3,084 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

How's this look?

Hopefully going to be purchasing a 2012 Spider as a Christmas present, and since this is my first BP, I'm making sure I get everything right. I have a spare 10 gallon tank that was supposed to be another frog tank but the project never took off, so I'll be using for a while. I have a couple questions:

1.) My house gets down to ~60 at night during the cold months, would a UTH with a light dimmer be able to put out adequate heat, or would another heat source be needed? If I can pull it off with a UTH, what size/wattage would be recommended? I'm thinking just a 10-20 gallon, for obvious reasons.

2.) My house is surprisingly humid, usually ~70%. Any easy ideas to de-humidify the tank? Due to it's small size I don't think it'll be that hard, if the UTH doesn't do it by itself.

That's pretty much it, thanks in advance for any advice/comments/concerns!

Thanks
    A UTH will definitely not be enough because it's not meant to regulate ambient temperatures, just the surface temp of your substrate. Use a heat lamp for heating the air in your tank. The heat lamp will also dry out the air in your tank which will solve your high humidity problem. Make sure you use a thermostat for the UTH and you can just use the dimmer on the lamp.

1.0 '12 Cinnamon (Monty)