Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

2 members and 3,132 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Honestly regardless of what "precautions" were taking to keep these animal safe, these TV shows should not be aloud to do things like this because they are stressful and traumatizing to the animals. A lot of the snakes in that dunk tank are terrestrial and not strong swimmers and this is the kind of TV gimmick that needs to just die.
    I just find it absurd to think that there is really any justification for this kind of treatment to these animals asides from the fact that this is purely done for shock factor. :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: Snake abuse on Television: Killer Karaoke

Quote Originally Posted by eatgoodfood View Post
    I will have to look up Urban Jungles-Radio, I would like to hear what Robert Walter says.

I also would not be surprised if it was fake ice, the water was warm, contestants faked it etc. etc.... That still does not make it ok to dump live animals into deep water with a freaked out person flailing around. The contestant in the video could easily have injured and or killed an animal especially when she was pulled back out of the water and they were hanging around her.

There will always be some dramatization, but it is evident that live animals were used, and it could have caused death or injury to the animals, that in its self is enough to get people upset, no matter the amount of dramatization.
    I wasn't trying to imply that any of the safety measures they may or may not have taken make it okay. I was simply trying to present a different side of the story that I had heard. I have no proof that anything that he said was true, other than my own person opinion that the contestants didn't look like they had been dunked into ice cold water like some have been implying. I do agree that the snakes could have been injured while being removed from the water, but she wasn't dunked or removed at a very fast speed.

As I said, I don't support this at all but there is always another side to every story.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    Steve-O does not run the show or choose the stunts. The comments here directing the frustration over this toward him are mind boggling.

Also, I remember the Fear Factor thread. The guy who supplied the snakes actually made an account here to explain that they practiced the stunt multiple times to make sure the contestant understood how to keep the animals safe and they rotates snakes in from a van full of racks with proper conditions to make sure that no single snake was subjected to stress for an extended time.

I do NOT condone the video or the practice, but I agree with Kinra that I think a lot of the 'animal abuse' claims can be chalked up to reality TV gimmicks. These people have a LOT to lose if someone cared to prove them to be abusing the animals, so I do believe they have themselves covered on stunts like this. Perhaps we should blame animal cruelty laws? I am unaware of them or if they change based on species or anything, but I could see them making stricter laws for dogs than reptiles.
    I believe this Robert guy is the one who supplied the snakes for the Fear Factor episode, but he says he refused to use any of his animals in this stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    Rebecca, thanks for the info. If that is the case then it isn't so bad. But no one can deny that throwing a hundred or so terrestrial snakes into deep water won't cause the animals a great amount of stress. It is so sad that people are defending the actions of this stupid show!
    I wasn't trying to defend the actions of the show. I think this was very wrong, but I was trying let people know it is possible it is not the total nightmare they think it is. I still can't believe the clip I saw with two alligators swimming around instead of the burm.

Robert (the head wrangler) did say in one comment that the show had originally planned to use an ice bath, but they were able to get that changed. Hollywood seems to have no care for living animals, they just care about what will bring in the most money.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kinra For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (11-20-2012),Valentine Pirate (11-20-2012)

Thanks

To me not only is it cruel to the snakes but to the person getting that surprise. It could of caused her a heart attractive or go into a panic or get bit by a scared snake defending its self.
    The only way to shine your light is in the dark...Never let life kill your spark- Crown the Empire

Thanks
    Did everyone see the video that also added alligators into the bath? Same thing, different girl, live alligators in with the snakes and the girl. On my phone so I can't link it now.

Thanks
    Here's another video, there are multiples of the stunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNaLO-SDVrU

If you are not friends with Urban Jungles-Radio I would friend them. Someone named Robert Walter has been commenting on their posts about this. Apparently he was there and helped but refused to supply any of his animals for this. Urban Jungles Radio has said they will be talking with him during their show on Friday night.

According to Robert there is more to this story than is immediately apparent. He has stated that this was apparently filmed 2 years ago (not sure I believe that). He has also stated that the water was not freezing cold, but actually luke warm. I didn't notice any ice, but he said that a few ice cubes were used, but mostly fake stage ice was used. Contestants were instructed to act as if the water was cold, which I honestly think they did a poor job of. I didn't get the impression that the water was cold. He also stated that some fake snakes were mixed in. I do believe that Robert was there because someone recognized him in one of the clips, but I can't verify that anything he has said is true.

All of that being said, I want to make it known that I in no way support this. I think it was a ridiculous stunt, especially since I've seen a clip where there are also two alligators swimming around in the mix, but I do think it is possible that a lot of what people are so upset about is simply the dramatization typical of "reality" TV.

I've been on the page. Even if the water is warm, given the water depth, alligators, stress, it's still all wrong. I'm waiting for the radio show though. They're still looking for the people who provided the snakes.

Thanks
    I simply don't understand the fascination with creating negative energy for entertainment. Is that not the root of this type of activity?
    This message brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

0.1 Normal

Thanks
    Killer karaoke has posted a disclaimer on Facebook saying they consulted the producers and no animals were "harmed" in the filming.

Because stress isn't harm.

There has also been a post saying they consulted PETA beforehand and they gave an ok.

Because we know how much PETA knows and cares about reptiles.

It's bull hooey, and they can't pass off animal abuse so easily.
    Last edited by dr del; 11-21-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: removing censor trip

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    I wasn't trying to imply that any of the safety measures they may or may not have taken make it okay. I was simply trying to present a different side of the story that I had heard. I have no proof that anything that he said was true, other than my own person opinion that the contestants didn't look like they had been dunked into ice cold water like some have been implying. I do agree that the snakes could have been injured while being removed from the water, but she wasn't dunked or removed at a very fast speed.

As I said, I don't support this at all but there is always another side to every story.
    Sorry If I made it seem like I thought you were implying that it was ok regaurdless of measures taken, that was not the case. I was just adding my opinion to what you had said.

0.1 Albino
    0.2 Classic
    0.1 Het. Red Axanthic
    0.1 Mojave h. Ghost
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Spider h. Ghost
    1.0 Black Pastel
    1.0 Blue Eye Leucistic h. Ghost
    1.0 Lesser
    1.0 Pastel h. Ghost

0.1 Morelia bredli
    0.0.1 Varanus acanthurus (Silly)
    0.1 Brachypelma auratum
    0.1 Scottisch Fold (Tipsy)
    0.1 Abyssinian (Prim)

http://www.facebook.com/AAExoten

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eatgoodfood For This Useful Post:

Kinra (11-21-2012)

Thanks
    I vote dropping the producers of the show in a tank of near boiling water, as I think that'd be pretty close to the level of pain that would cause a tropical ectotherm like most of the snakes they used are (if it is indeed "ice cold" water).

Granted Steve-O is an idiot, but I didn't think he was dumb enough to attach his name to something that is just as obviously wrong as this.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lolerlaura View Post
    Uhg that was disgusting. I tried to watch but couldn't. I checked out the facebook page and was appalled to see the snake tank is their main picture.

I made a petition directed at the channel's executive and Steve-O to get this crap removed. Here you guys go! Share this everywhere!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/305/2...-animal-abuse/
    I posted this petition on a couple FB groups yesterday when there was only a little over 200 sigs on it and now there are over 4000 sigs. I did get some ignorant comments by a few people claiming that petitions never work and I was bothered by that but I argued that at least if it does get sent to the producers they will see just how many people were very bothered by this. If we keep it going it might just make a difference.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (11-22-2012)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast