Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,285

0 members and 3,285 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My Dinkasaurus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    The flames are different every time I take pics, but they are orange but also have a greenish tint to them depending on how the light hits them.
    I've only got the one female going this year so I can't really answer yet how this line will combo up since I'm only making superstripes.
    I think for darker combo's this line will be hot, I'm not sure I want to throw pastel or anything bright at it, but we'll see when our younger female hold backs breed next season.

The orange shows well under bright light ...

I see what you mean. The flames are certainly nice and blushed, but not as orange as what I am used to seeing. Mind you, your line is much darker tan anything I've seen as well. I think the amount of checkering on the sides more than makes up for it.

The dinker I have is orange. Side by side with any normal ball, he looks quite orange in overall looks.
    I am really looking forward to see what his offspring looks like.
    ~TJ~ Visit me on facebook! or Tweet me @MBReptiles

The Favorites:
    Ball Pythons Western Hognose
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_Burton View Post
    The dinker I have is orange. Side by side with any normal ball, he looks quite orange in overall looks.
    I am really looking forward to see what his offspring looks like.
    I wish you luck!
    Jerry Robertson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

TJ_Burton (01-27-2013)

Thanks

Found a photo I was looking for earlier of the dinker next to a normal; it gives you a good idea of what I mean by looks orange in overall appearance.

The Favorites:
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJ_Burton For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (01-28-2013),Wapadi (05-26-2013)

Thanks
    The more research I do, the more I learn about the Ivory/SS complex. The closest match I can find for my dinker (visually) is the Orange Belly line of YB. http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/orange-belly/

Similar overall orange appearence, Similar amounts of blushing, I can also see the Fire-like smudged/burned dots inside the alien heads (especially along the neck). The head marker and nose spots are the only major difference I can see between the two.

Just thinking out loud and using this thread as a journal to collect my thoughts leading up to the conclusion of this project.

The Favorites:
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TJ_Burton For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (04-30-2013)

BPnet Veteran Slowcountry Balls's Avatar
    Thanks

The more research I do, the more I learn about the Ivory/SS complex. The closest match I can find for my dinker (visually) is the Orange Belly line of YB. http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/orange-belly/

Similar overall orange appearence, Similar amounts of blushing, I can also see the Fire-like smudged/burned dots inside the alien heads (especially along the neck). The head marker and nose spots are the only major difference I can see between the two.

Just thinking out loud and using this thread as a journal to collect my thoughts leading up to the conclusion of this project.
    That's my snake on World of Ball Pythons and this past season was his first for breeding. Based on the 18 eggs he sired (all hatched), I am beginning to believe he may have a second gene at work. So you might want to keep that in mind. I bought him from a breeder who says he bought him from a breeder who bought him from Ben Siegel. He was sold to me as an Orange Belly (or Orangebelly, depending on who is spelling it), so I sent the picture in before I bred him. To my surprise, none of the 18 babies look quite like their father. 4 of them have great flames and checkered bellies like their dad, but don't have his color, blushing, nor his banding. So hopefully when a few of his daughter's get big enough, I can breed them back to him and find out if there is more at work than just the Orange Belly gene.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowcountry Balls For This Useful Post:

TJ_Burton (02-05-2013)

♫ I live on an island way out in the sea ♫
    Thanks
    I really like what's going on inside his alien heads, as well as those 'hook' patterns on his body. I haven't seen a thread about it in a while, but the general consensus was hooks mean something special, or hidden.
    1.0 Normal {S.W.A.N.}
    0.1 Lesser Platinum {Genesis}
    1.0 Lemon Blast {Fabio}
    0.1 Borneo STP {Coho}
    0.1 Green Iguana {Goober}
    0.0.0 A. brocklehursti {Vengence}
    0.1 G. rosea {Kiwi}
    0.0.2 B. albopilosum {Sideshow Bob}
    0.0.1 G. pulchripes
    1.0 P. regalis
    0.0.2 Reef Tank: 20g, 9g

11. The Following User Says Thank You to catzeye21138 For This Useful Post:

TJ_Burton (02-06-2013)

Thanks

Just so you can see what I mean, I've posted some pictures of one of the babies and then that same baby with the sire (who is the snake on World of Ball Pythons). This baby is very typical of the 4, which were produced by 3 different females.

Top shot of baby:

Belly shot of baby:

Baby with father:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowcountry Balls For This Useful Post:

TJ_Burton (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    slashlax99

I see what you are saying. The babies do look great though, and share similar markings to the father. The father does have more blushing along his back and is a different color, but the color may change with age. Did you obtain the male as an adult snake? Have you compared pics of the father as a hatchling to the offspring you've recently produced?

Very interesting info.

The Favorites:
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

Thanks

slashlax99

I see what you are saying. The babies do look great though, and share similar markings to the father. The father does have more blushing along his back and is a different color, but the color may change with age. Did you obtain the male as an adult snake? Have you compared pics of the father as a hatchling to the offspring you've recently produced?

Very interesting info.
    I acquired him as an older juvenile, about 400 grams. The pictures that I posted are from mid August, and so far the babies still look different and haven't really developed their father's color (2 of them are around 200 grams). I traded 1 of the 4 and am still watching how the other 3 develop. I'm pleased with how the babies look, but am stumped as to why, out of 18 babies, none look like the father (if it is a second co-dominate gene, the odds of getting both at the same time are 1 in 4, missing those kind of odds 18 times would be really bad odds, so maybe it is a recessive gene, or maybe a real subtle co-dominate gene at the same allele, or maybe something like the Platty Daddy, or maybe just the variety of the Orange Belly gene, only time and more breeding will give definitive answers).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowcountry Balls For This Useful Post:

TJ_Burton (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    I would absolutely pair with a yb female at the very least. #1 if it's a yb you should score on an ivory. #2 if it's some sort of yb complex like a spector or a gravel/het highway or spark/het puma you could score BIG. and #3 it could be something totally new and different.

I have a poss yb complex dinker I am raising up as well and will prob do the same, breed him to a normal or 2 and also try to hook him up with a yb girl. I was going to try to find an ivory female but I haven't heard such great things about ivory girls producing and don't feel like wasting cash so I think I will just stick with a yb girl for him.

Dinkers rock....I've got a few and they are super fun. To answer whoever's question it was "what makes a dinker a dinker and not a normal"......the term "dinker" comes from the phrase "to dink around with".....we take a unique snake and try to prove it out to be genetic. Dinker's are (USUALLY) wildcaught or captive hatched snakes where their lineage is completely unknown. Some people/breeders refer to captive bred and born babies with a unique pattern as "dinkers" to try to prove their traits as genetic, however most people I know only refer to dinkers as wildcaught or captive hatched (mother was wildcaught) and they have no idea if the snake is a new morph or the snake's genetic background. To determine a "dinker" you look at things like color (is it super light like a fire or vanilla, super dark like a mocha or chocolate), pattern (crazy pattern like a leopard, super reduced pattern, floating alien heads, etc), blushing and flames, head spots and head stamps, and of course belly patterns. MOST "dinkers" are normals....however some can prove out to be totally new morphs. Every new morph was first an African import. The most recent ones (that immediately cross my mind, there are a bazillion but the ones that I recall as of the last couple years) being the gravel (het highway), spark (puma), GHI, Huffman and het Russo (both of which look like fairly normal ball pythons), and the Harlequin. There are more but those are just a couple newbies that have popped up recently. Huffman being the newest I believe.

I have a few Dinkers that I have posted here in this forum that came straight from Africa, and they are very obviously different than normals. They may or may not prove genetic, but you can see why they were hand picked out of a bin of 200 other balls

Good luck with the dinkersaurus!!
    Tikigator Exotics & Chondro Collective (find us on facebook!)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast