Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

1 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Boa growth rate question.

Hello I have a 1.1 BCL (longicauda) they are about a year and a half and very healthy. They have always been on the same feeding schedule, they get a rat about every 2 weeks and approximately the same size rat, I breed them. When I got them as new borns I couldnt tell them apart size wise. But now the female is twice the size, she is about 4 feet and girthy and the male is significantly smaller.

My question is this; how can the female be so much bigger than the male when being fed exactly the same thing at the same time and they both have only defecated twice in the last year and it was about the same size?
    Last edited by nchapa; 11-15-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nchapa View Post
    Hello I have a 1.1 BCL (longicauda) they are about a year and a half and very healthy. They have always been on the same feeding schedule, they get a rat about every 2 weeks and approximately the same size rat, I breed them. When I got them as new borns I couldnt tell them apart size wise. But now the female is twice the size, she is about 4 feet and girthy and the male is significantly smaller.

My question is this; how can the female be so much bigger than the male when being fed exactly the same thing at the same time and they both have only defecated twice in the last year and it was about the same size?
    As with most reptiles, there is some degree of sexual dimorphism. With snakes females typically grow longer and girthier than males. Like everyone else also says, they grow at their own pace according to their genetics etc.. The male probably just didn't inherit the "bigger" genes as well. They'll probably max out in the next year or two and considering you're feeding on a pretty modest schedule, I think they should be alright.

They defecated only twice last year? Sounds like they're very constipated lol but as long as they're healthy I guess.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Thanks
    My thoughts on the defecation is that they were babies and growing, and pretty much everything they were eating was getting absorbed as nutrients. The only thing that doesn't get digested is hair, so if they were eating prey with little amounts of hair, then they probably would poop less. They probably urinated/had urates normally though.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...