Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,846

2 members and 1,844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Two Inflamed Scales on Face

I don't think I've even posted on this forum since I first got mowgli, but boy have I been browsing old threads like crazy! For the most part he's been a regular old typical ball, even went through his brief breeding season fast and later on a 4-month hunger strike...Well at the moment he's eating and shedding well, but after his last shed I noticed a really small inflamed area on his face.

It seems like it's only two specific scales infected (the largest two above his nostrils); the rest of his face is perfectly fine and his mouth checks out. I hadn't yet thrown out the shed so I rechecked how it looked, and it was perfect besides a tear near his vent...his head shed perfectly whole with nice nostrils and heat pits too. It seems like a strange spot to be nose rub, not that I've ever seen him rubbing even when he's being most active...but maybe he did try to squeeze in somewhere he couldn't fit or irritated it trying to rub off his shed. I did get a second opinion from a great local exotics vet and he agreed to just keep an eye on it for now, etcetc.

He shed on 10/21, I noticed the inflammation on 10/22, and took him to the vet on 10/25...As of today, 11/15 it's beginning to look slightly more pronounced. I was promised I could schedule another visit free of charge in the future in regards to this particular issue...but at this point I'm wondering what some opinions might be as to the cause? :/

It doesn't seem to be bothering him one bit; I worked with him from the time i got him to gradually get him used to contact with his head and touching it doesn't seem to cause any discomfort, and I can't feel any sort of squishiness underneath.

These are all photos from just after his vet visit...I also switched his cypress out for newspaper for now without any humidity issues, and only put back his hide & water bowl. Opinions?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum category...like I said I've spent just about all of my time on this site just browsing! Couldn't find anything quite exactly like this with my searching, though.)

Thanks
    I barely see it but I think you're talking about the bump just about right between the nostrils. Watch it, if it continues to grow take him back in to make sure there's not an abscess or something going on with his nasal cavity.

Thanks
    That's what I'm the most worried about at this point, I would hate to deal with an abscess! At this point that's the plan; I'm hoping that maybe someone with a similar problem would come forward with a story while I wait and watch, though.