Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,346

0 members and 3,346 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Registered User visceralrepulsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    We can't judge rational normal actions based on our own perception of a norm. His last post was pretty odd, from like 15 minutes ago. He may not think he's Darth Vader, on a mission to save Subway from the evil spell of the moonflower,....but he's seemingly not right to say the least.
    ​"Verily I have often laughed at weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Thanks
    Well, just saw the admission of Bipolar I, this clears up a lot of things in all honestly. I mean that in no offense. Just mean he's ill, has likely always been ill, and will always be ill if this is the fact. Though he may see erratic to some, he's actually having not too odd of behavior if you consider he IS in fact Bipolar, as he has now stated himself. With medication people can lead a more normal life, but will always be ill essentially. This actually relieves me deeply to see this revealed. Verily, I wish Ben luck in is life, and commend him for coming forward with this admission, because it is NOT easy to do, especially with the stigma mental illness carries in society, and while having your name big in an industry to boot. Cheers Ben. =]
    ​"Verily I have often laughed at weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I'm willing to bet 100s of people gossiping about this publicly isn't helping the guy out.

That said, it became a somewhat public issue the second it was poured out on a Facebook page that the general public has access to.

Stay tuned and watch what happens. Let's keep the commentary on what we perceive to be someone's mental condition out of our wild, uninhibited forum string.

Would you sit down at a table next to Ben and have this kind of conversation knowing that he can hear you? Chill out people. Go get a People magazine or something. I don't think 'reptile celebrities' deserve this kind of treatment via our commentary. It's simply not our business and it's, in my opinion, extremely rude.
    Last edited by MrLang; 11-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

3skulls (11-15-2012),Anatopism (11-15-2012),decensored (11-16-2012),wolfy-hound (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    I've just been sitting back and watching in freaking awe.

If this is a cause of his Bipolar I then I do believe that it is probably in his best interest to stay off the internet and go get some help, as the internet probably isn't helping right now. Someone else should be in charge of doing damage control.

I have no idea what else to say.

Reach for the stars, and if you don't grab them at least you'll fall on top of the world.

Thanks

Re: Ben Siegel Reptiles, wow what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    I'm willing to bet 100s of people gossiping about this publicly isn't helping the guy out.

That said, it became a somewhat public issue the second it was poured out on a Facebook page that the general public has access to.

Stay tuned and watch what happens. Let's keep the commentary on what we perceive to be someone's mental condition out of our wild, uninhibited forum string.

Would you sit down at a table next to Ben and have this kind of conversation knowing that he can hear you? Chill out people. Go get a People magazine or something. I don't think 'reptile celebrities' deserve this kind of treatment via our commentary. It's simply not our business and it's, in my opinion, extremely rude.
    No, you're right, I wouldn't have this conversation at a nearby table where Ben could hear me.....I'd walk up to the man, shake his hand, explain myself while talking to him like a the damn human being he is......just like I did in my personal message to him. People shouldn't be embarrassed, scared, or defensive of mental illness. If I heard he or anyone had cancer, or some other ailment, I'd offer my condolences and offer my empathy regardless of said illness or person aforementioned.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to visceralrepulsion For This Useful Post:

OctagonGecko729 (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by visceralrepulsion View Post
    No, you're right, I wouldn't have this conversation at a nearby table where Ben could hear me.....I'd walk up to the man, shake his hand, explain myself while talking to him like a the damn human being he is......just like I did in my personal message to him. People shouldn't be embarrassed, scared, or defensive of mental illness. If I heard he or anyone had cancer, or some other ailment, I'd offer my condolences and offer my empathy regardless of said illness or person aforementioned.
    With all due respect, I would find this to be quite rude. I have a relative that is mentally ill and I know for a fact that if you, as a complete stranger, came up to her and started trying to be polite in discussing her mental condition as you perceive it from a tidbit of third party information and speculation, she would literally spit in your face. The mental illness wouldn't be contributing to that action either, and she isn't inherently a bad person. Like my post suggests, I think as strangers we should mind our own business.

Again, you're totally entitled to doing your own thing, just offering a different perspective.
    Last edited by dr del; 11-15-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: removing censor trip
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks

As an actual person with a few mental illnesses, I would not spit in your face. I would be somewhat confused if you walked up to me and offered your condolences out of nowhere, but if I was experiencing a breakdown, I would appreciate your sympathy.

With that out of the way, Ben Siegal made this a public matter by posting alarming things repeatedly on his Facebook pages. So yeah, I think we are justified in speculating here.

I am 26, and I take five medications every day to handle my mental illnesses. I see a psychiatrist regularly, but sometimes I still lose control of my thoughts and emotions, and to some extent, my actions. I am lucky to have a supportive husband, family, and friends. I am however, painfully aware of how difficult my mental illness can be for the ones I love.

If I had a huge breakdown in public, I would be surprised if nobody talked about it. I would be grateful to see people giving me the benefit of the doubt, as they are here for Ben.

Generally people are being respectful in this thread. They are concerned for Ben, and because we have no real way of getting the truth right now, we are speculating. It's because Ben is so well-known, and because he broke down in public. This isn't some gossip that a close friend started and we are all eagerly jumping on, this is a completely public matter that has hundreds of people confused and concerned. It's natural to want to talk about this and try to better understand what is happening.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meowmeowkazoo For This Useful Post:

AmandaJ (11-15-2012),Anatopism (11-15-2012),Argentra (11-17-2012),OhhWatALoser (11-15-2012),RoseyReps (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Ben is a good person. He's done more for the reptile hobby than most ever will in their entire lives. He's a human being and as such, he deserves a little respect.

Saying how people expressing concern for him are somehow "drinking the Koolaid" and how you're enjoying it as Facebook drama is being a big ole jerk in my not-so-polite opinion. Ben has helped out thousands of people over many years, he's ALWAYS been there when I had questions, he's ALWAYS put himself out there to assist anyone, right down to a "noob" buying a $10 gecko.

THAT'S why people are concerned and willing to help or wanting to know that he's okay, that his animals are being cared for. Not because we're a "cult" and not because of some love of internet drama.

I'm really sorry that Melody lost her job, but if she worked for me and started posting how I was "mental" and had a "breakdown" and basically said I was lying and crazy and all that... I severely doubt I'd have her working for me. Even if he IS having a mental break(especially if it's a bi-polar episode), there's better ways to state things than coming online to say "Ben's crazy".

That said, I do hope that things work out for ALL the employees(including Melody who I sincerely believe IS trying to make things smoother and explain for Ben AND the store AND the animals' benefit) and for all the customers who have paid for animals, for Ben AND Stacy.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

adamsky27 (11-15-2012),Anatopism (11-15-2012),h00blah (11-15-2012),Lucille (11-15-2012),RestlessRobie (11-15-2012),satomi325 (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    It has become obvious that this is a very private affair that is being aired in public. Divorce, mental illness and the public airing of dirty laundry is a very sad affair. I hope that they can take their differences off-line and settle them in private where it should be handled.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

CatandDiallo (11-15-2012),Fidget (11-16-2012),meowmeowkazoo (11-15-2012),wwmjkd (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Ben is a good person. He's done more for the reptile hobby than most ever will in their entire lives. He's a human being and as such, he deserves a little respect.

Saying how people expressing concern for him are somehow "drinking the Koolaid" and how you're enjoying it as Facebook drama is being a big ole jerk in my not-so-polite opinion. Ben has helped out thousands of people over many years, he's ALWAYS been there when I had questions, he's ALWAYS put himself out there to assist anyone, right down to a "noob" buying a $10 gecko.

THAT'S why people are concerned and willing to help or wanting to know that he's okay, that his animals are being cared for. Not because we're a "cult" and not because of some love of internet drama.

I'm really sorry that Melody lost her job, but if she worked for me and started posting how I was "mental" and had a "breakdown" and basically said I was lying and crazy and all that... I severely doubt I'd have her working for me. Even if he IS having a mental break(especially if it's a bi-polar episode), there's better ways to state things than coming online to say "Ben's crazy".

That said, I do hope that things work out for ALL the employees(including Melody who I sincerely believe IS trying to make things smoother and explain for Ben AND the store AND the animals' benefit) and for all the customers who have paid for animals, for Ben AND Stacy.
    If you read further, then you saw that I explained what I meant.
    If you can read it again and not pick up that I meant no disrespect to anyone, then I concede. I'm a big ole jerk. At least to some.
    Adversity does not build character, it reveals it

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast