Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,611

2 members and 2,609 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

Popping damage possibilities

What kind of damage can occur from improperly popping a snake? I've seen some pictures of people popping and others saying it was done wrong, and poor snake etc, but I haven't really heard of a snake being injured from popping (yet). So I would like to figure out what are the risks being taken when trying to self-educate via video's etc? Is probing a safer self-taught option?

Trying to weigh the risks vs reward, as I desperately need to learn how to sex snakes. Sadly, no one local to go for help (that I trust). I could go to the local mom and pop pet stores, but I really don't trust them 100% for reptiles. One of the two stores has a pair of "breeding pair" ball pythons for sale...the female doesn't look to be 800g if that.

(The local reptile vet wants to charge me $50 a snake for an office visit to sex them...)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I think self teaching either method is going to come with risks. That being said, I taught myself how to pop using videos online. It seemed like the safer method to teach myself. As long as you are careful (i.e. don't bend their spine) I think it's fairly easy to teach yourself how to pop. Also younger snakes are much easier to learn to pop with.

As far as I know I didn't damage any of my snakes while learning and I can do it reliably now.

It takes a while to learn, but palpating is also another method you can use. I wouldn't say it's 100%, but with larger snakes it will give you a pretty good idea.

http://www.moonlightboas.com/care-in...of-a-snake.php
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kinra For This Useful Post:

RoseyReps (11-13-2012),Valentine Pirate (11-13-2012)

Thanks

Re: Popping damage possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    I think self teaching either method is going to come with risks. That being said, I taught myself how to pop using videos online. It seemed like the safer method to teach myself. As long as you are careful (i.e. don't bend their spine) I think it's fairly easy to teach yourself how to pop. Also younger snakes are much easier to learn to pop with.

As far as I know I didn't damage any of my snakes while learning and I can do it reliably now.

It takes a while to learn, but palpating is also another method you can use. I wouldn't say it's 100%, but with larger snakes it will give you a pretty good idea.

http://www.moonlightboas.com/care-in...of-a-snake.php
    Thanks It at least gives me some reassurance that others have self taught without damaging their babies. I was just concerned that while being careful, is there a concern that improper technique could hurt them. I think if anything I am being overly cautious, and not doing it hard enough, than doing it too hard and hurting them.

I will give palpating a shot, I know I will still need to do a pop / probe to be certain, but it's a nice trick to have in your arsenal of skills!

Side note, I was looking around the web earlier and came across the website you posted. (was looking at BRBs) WOW they have some gorgeous BRB's! (I was mulling over the idea of a small boa that might be more of a display than my pet rocks which I love so dearly) Not to mention...BRBs are freaking amazing looking!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    BRBs are awesome! Mine does not display well

I watched a guy probe a couple of snakes, then I watched a ton of videos.
    It freaked me out the first couple of times I did it.
    Still not comfortable popping.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

RoseyReps (11-13-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3skulls View Post
    BRBs are awesome! Mine does not display well

I watched a guy probe a couple of snakes, then I watched a ton of videos.
    It freaked me out the first couple of times I did it.
    Still not comfortable popping.
    Yea, I learned that as I read around today. I still want one though, just because boa's seem to be more "let's play!" than balls. I feel bad when I hold my bps too long

I think I'm going to pick up a probe set in Dec from repticon and give it a go. I've seen people say you shouldn't probe hatchling though, and popping is best for them because their tissue is so thin (or something along those lines)

Either way, I need to learn both. It might take a while, because I'm a nervous nelly, but hopefully I'll be able to teach myself. If I can't get my confidence up, I'll bite the bullet and go to the pet store to see if they can lend a hand.

Thanks for the info

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    From what I read, popping when they are hatchlings is pretty easy. I just dont want to hurt anyone.

Yes I recommend a BRB 100%.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

RoseyReps (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    I'm personally way more comfortable with probbing. I have a hard time popping. Maybe you could pick up a set of probes in December at repticon and then ask one of the vendors to show you how to do each method. I'm sure they wouldn't mind demonstrating for you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ktaylor89 For This Useful Post:

RoseyReps (11-13-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ktaylor89 View Post
    I'm personally way more comfortable with probbing. I have a hard time popping. Maybe you could pick up a set of probes in December at repticon and then ask one of the vendors to show you how to do each method. I'm sure they wouldn't mind demonstrating for you!
    Good idea I'll see if any of the breeders would mind showing me / giving me a few tips. Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

3skulls (11-13-2012)