Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,085

0 members and 2,085 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

BP Habitat & Additional Questions

Hello,

New to the forums and reptile ownership. This place looks very useful!

I just purchased my first baby Ball Python yesterday and got him in his new home. I just wanted to share my current setup and address a few concerns with the experts here!

I have the following items setup. If you feel I'm missing something vital or good to have, please let me know!

1) 20 Gallon Long Tank + Screen Top
    2) Repti-Bark Substrate
    3) 75W Basking Spot Lamp (on right side)
    4) Two Hide Boxes (one on "hot" side and one on "cold" side)
    5) Water bowl
    6) Analog thermometer and humidity gauge combo

Current Temperature: 80F
    Current Humidity: 50%

I also just have a few quick questions:

1) So the main thing I'm concerned about is the humidity. I seems that 60-70% humidity is ideal, so I'd like to add another 15% humidity to his tank. I read that bigger water bowls and spraying 2x a day will help increase humidity. I'm wondering if anyone knows any other tricks I could try as well? Also, is my 75W bulb too hot? It seems 40-60W is the recommendation.

2) When I first got him home, he explored his tank a bit, took a dip in the water and later curled up and likely took a nap. He has recently moved and is doing the same thing in another location of the tank. I am a bit surprised he has not used his hides at all. Is this normal behavior for their first week or so?

3) Should I let him attempt to get comfortable before feeding or can I go ahead and try to feed the beast?

4) When it comes to handling, should I not be bothering him for the first week or so?

And that's it at the moment. If you can take a few moments and school me a bit, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by tje; 11-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks

Re: BP Habitat & Additional Questions

Quote Originally Posted by tje View Post
    Hello,

I just purchased my first baby Ball Python yesterday and got him in his new home. I just wanted to share my current setup and address a few concerns with the experts here!

I have the following items setup. If you feel I'm missing something vital or good to have, please let me know!

2) Repti-Bark Substrate
    5) Water bowl

1) So the main thing I'm concerned about is the humidity. I seems that 60-70% humidity is ideal, so I'd like to add another 15% humidity to his tank. I read that bigger water bowls and spraying 2x a day will help increase humidity. I'm wondering if anyone knows any other tricks I could try as well? Also, is my 75W bulb too hot? It seems 40-60W is the recommendation.

2) When I first got him home, he explored his tank a bit, took a dip in the water and later curled up and likely took a nap. He has recently moved and is doing the same thing in another location of the tank. I am a bit surprised he has not used his hides at all. Is this normal behavior for their first week or so?

3) Should I let him attempt to get comfortable before feeding or can I go ahead and try to feed the beast?

4) When it comes to handling, should I not be bothering him for the first week or so?

And that's it at the moment. If you can take a few moments and school me a bit, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

I'm going to start with your question and then add a little bit more at the end. I intend for this response to be educational!

1. The heat lamp will suck out all the humidity. You can use a larger water bowl, spray the enclosure a couple of times a day, cover most of the top with a damp towel, or cover the top with plexiglas or foil. That will help you hold in more humidity. When your snake is going into shed, you can add some sphagnum moss under one of the hides to give a little bit of extra boost to humidity.

2. Ball pythons usually will find a place to hide and stay there. Many will tell you a "happy ball python is a hiding ball python". What are your hides like? He may think they are too big or don't offer him enough security. You want hides to be very snug with only one entrance/exit. If they are open, they don't offer much security.

3. I would leave him alone for at least a week before trying to feed him. Then, once's he's eaten 3-4x CONSISTENTLY, then you can try to hold him. What are you feeding him? You want to try and get them eating rats because it's better for them and you in the long run. Some are picky about rats and won't eat them. However, they are easier to switch when they are younger.

4. I pretty much answered this in my response to question 3.

Now, for some other commentary.

1. Depending on how big your snake is, a 20L is probably too big and will make your new snake feel insecure. Try cluttering it with additional hides (I use plastic cool whip containers with holes cut out) or crumpled paper. You want it to look really busy. That will help them move from one hide to the next without getting too stressed.

2. Those analog thermometers are crap. They don't work very well. You want to get a digital thermometer with a probe. There are several brands, most people suggest one called an Acurite thermometer. They also make some with a humidity gauge as well. You want one on the cold side, one on the warm. Then you can measure temps on all sides.

3. Ball pythons really need belly heat. Heat lamps are fine to raise ambient temps, but they need to have an under the tank heater with a thermostat (that's very important...you need to regulate the thermostat). However, if you cannot budget one, you need to get a dimer for your heat lamp and make sure the hot spot isn't getting above 92*. You may need to invest in a temperature gun to help monitor that temp as well.

4. Also, I don't know if your screen top is a locking lid or you have cage clips, but it needs to be secure! Your snake will try to climb up and if the lid isn't on securely, it will be able to push it up.

I hope some of that helps. There are a lot of people on this forum who would love to help you make the best home for your new baby! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    Last edited by BHReptiles; 11-04-2012 at 05:34 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

baskingbaby (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Hello,

2) Repti-Bark Substrate
    5) Water bowl

Thank you!
    Welcome! And congrats on your first step into the herp world, I say first cuz their addicting . As far as your questions go ill leave those to the pros like Snakehobbyist who offered great advice. So again congrats this community is awesome and full of helpful people so enjoy your new hobby and I fell as tho I should say let's see some pics we all love pictures 😝
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlson View Post
    Welcome! And congrats on your first step into the herp world, I say first cuz their addicting . As far as your questions go ill leave those to the pros like Snakehobbyist who offered great advice. So again congrats this community is awesome and full of helpful people so enjoy your new hobby and I fell as tho I should say let's see some pics we all love pictures 
    Oh that's flattering, thank you very much! However, I hardly consider myself a pro!

To the OP, we do love pictures! Show us some of your new baby!

Thanks
    Thank you all very much for the advice!

I increased the humidity level a lot by misting the tank regularly and by covering a large portion of the tanks top with a damp towel. Admittedly at the moment, the one hide on the warm side is the most secure hide. I will need to invest in a more secure hide on the cold side.

I have some frozen hoppers which I plan to thaw out and feed him. This is what the reptile shop recommended.

I got a little creative with making the tank look more busier. I went around the house, found some old pots and some fake vine-like stuff, cleaned them and spread them around the tank. Since I've done this, he has spent more time exploring, but he still won't use his hides.

I've purchased a heat map and put it on the bottom of the tank (behind the glass) and it has made the substrate nice and warm for his belly. I still do need to investigate in a better thermostat however, which I plan to do today.

I am learning as I go here, which is probably not the best for the Python, however I hope to get him in his ideal environment very soon. Thanks again for all the help.. Also, Here is a picture of him in his tank. As you can see, he prefers to be tight up in the corner of the tank, rather than his hide right behind him.

Last edited by tje; 11-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks

Looks like your setup is pretty good. I would turn those clay pots upside down and knock a hole in the edge. They make the best hides. An aquarium background is relatively cheap and makes it look great and darker for the snake. Also I recommend switching to an infrared bulb so you can leave it on 24/7 for good temp management. And welcome to the forum and the reptile trade/hobby. You'll find a lot of great advice here, just remember everyone has opinions on everything. Remember to do what works for you. And have no fear, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Here's my 20 long for an example.

TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

Thanks
    Thank you! I tried to chip a piece open in a couple terracotta pots, however end up breaking them each time.. I'll try to give it another shot.

Also, I'll investigate into infrared bulbs.

My only worry at the moment is my python's lack of hiding. I've heard from multiple sources now that a "hiding snake is a happy snake", though my new buddy has yet to do so. He just kind of lays out either in the open or behind something, never inside his actual hide.. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong or if perhaps he just isn't comfortable yet.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Thank you! I tried to chip a piece open in a couple terracotta pots, however end up breaking them each time.. I'll try to give it another shot.

Try enlarging the drainage hole on the bottom with a hammer, then placing the pot upside down. Make sure the the sharp edges of the enlarged opening have been smoothed down.
    1.0 yellowbelly '11 "Rocco"
    1.0 spider het ghost '12 "Cliff"
    0.1 superpastel '12 "Adelle"
    0.0.1 blue tongued skink "Reggie"
    15 African cichlids
    0.1 french bulldog "Stella"
    1.0 pug "Norman"
    0.2 domestic shorthair cats "cookie dough" and "Shadow"
    60 + bonsai

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    In addition to all your great improvements, you can black out the back and sides of the tank with black paper, habitat background, or any other solid object.
    This will make your snake feel more secure on top of the extra hides. The big open space is probably a little overwhelming for a little guy like him. Open space in the wild means vulnerability to predators. And buying $1 fake plants or ivy from the dollar store works great too to help cutter up the tank.

Overall, great start! Welcome to the forum!

Thanks

Ah, today I found the little guy hiding in the hide on the cold side of his tank! I'm so pleased to see him acting like a happy snake!

Just wanted to announce that

Thanks everyone for your amazing advice.