Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

2 members and 3,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Gun cabinets/chests?

Hey everyone I'm finally bringing my guns home with me 😄but I gots to build a cabinet well I'm thinking chest has anyone else built one? I've seen lots of Pics online but I like seeing everyone's handy work on here.
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Gun cabinets/chests?

I don't want to be a downer, but ...... As beautiful as gun cabinets can be, they are very vulnerable to theft. We had our house broken into once when I was younger and lost about $8,000 in guns. I'm talking back in the early 80's so no idea of values today. I would recommend a gun safe. Hard to get in and too heavy to cart away. Besides, as you get older and may have kids one day, it keeps them safe too. Just my $0.02

Thanks
    Ya I'm saving up for a safe but as of now I'm limited to what I can build its more of a need to have a place to lock them outta sight, I'm gonna build it outta enough wood that it will be heavy and hard to break into as much as I can but its more short term kinda thing.
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    You can get an "okay" safe at the Wal-Mart for $150 or so. Double that and Lowes has a pretty decent combination model that's fire rated for 30 minutes for $300 or so. Gander Mountain, Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops all have a huge selection but tend to be quite a bit higher. Are you looking at long guns or pistols or both? If it's strictly pistols, the biometric safes are fairly affordable and pretty sturdy plus easy to hide/mount underneath a bed or into the wall if you wanted to go that route. A few options to look at, if you're interested. One concern I would have with a case versus a safe would be humidity. I keep silica gel packs (reusable ones) as well as a heated electric rod in my safe to keep it dry; saves on getting rust on some of my safe queens along with my shooters. Just a thought. I've never built a cabinet so I can't help you there but if you go that route be sure to share some pics if you don't mind; like to see how it turns out for you.
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks
    As of right now a safe is outta my price range sadly, not working enough with college. But I have an unlimited amount of wood so I'm giving the building one a try. It's for mainly long guns saving up for a pistol now. I just started building it ill take a few pictures once I get its beyond the framing part. I'm going small game hunting in a couple days hoping to get a few rabbits for stew and cuz I'm gonna tan their pelts and use them in there too. It's small enough that it can fit in my closet, just a work in progress right now. I like to build things so I'm always trying to build something new and the cabinet has taken a front seat in the building projects.
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1