Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

2 members and 3,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, a 6 foot cage is definitely overkill for a BP, lol. I have used BARRS cages before and they are pretty good and relatively inexpensive.......I've also used Precision cages which aren't as good but they're decent.

VP of Cool
    Thanks

First Boa question

Is a six foot long cage too big even for an adult Ball? I find that hard to believe. If you provide plenty of hides, why does size matter? In the wild they have their hides in an open world. Just my two cents :wink:
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Banned
    Thanks
    I've got a precision, they're probly the cheapest out there, thats a plus.

My only complaints are that they're a little on the thin side.

But they come with a free heating lamp. The guy does every one custom. So you're not getting a production line cage. Like for me, I went for only one vent as opposed to three. It also has a whole host of other options.

When I bought my 36" length x 20" depth x 13-1/4" height it was only 125$. Seems he upped the price to 150$. At that price you might as well just get a boaphile. They're better.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman25
    Is a six foot long cage too big even for an adult Ball? I find that hard to believe. If you provide plenty of hides, why does size matter? In the wild they have their hides in an open world. Just my two cents :wink:
    Actually in the wild they spend little time out in the open, especially during the day. They spend their daytime hours under the ground, usually in some other animal's burrow.....then come out to hunt for food at night. Its very important for the snake to feel secure in order for it to thrive.

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    What about providing him/her with plenty of hides in a larger tank? Will that not make them secure? Plus it will give them some room to cruise around at night. I'm not arguing the fact that they need to feel secure, just the fact that provinding them plenty of good hides in a bigger enclosure will make them feel just that. Let the rebuttals flow :wink:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Raj on this one. Of course, I'm not speaking from expert knowledge, but just what seems logical to me. Just because a bp can stay healthy (and for all appearances, "happy") in a smaller enclosure, doesn't mean they wouldn't be just as fine in a larger one...excellent husbandry and tender-loving-care all being equal. Offer the snake a variety of hides to choose from, some foliage (fake) for it to "sneak around' in, maybe a branch or two for it to climb and explore, maybe even a little "pond" for it to soak in if it's so inclined....seems like a very happy enclosure to me.

Seems to me like this is just another one of those instances where there's more than one way to skin a cat. :wink:
    -- Judy

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    In this forum we skin Rats Judy :lol:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    :roll: That's what I get for backing you up? :wink: :lol:
    -- Judy

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    LOL Judy.

I totally agree that there is nothing wrong with providing a larger-than-necessary cage for a BP as long as its done properly. I (and many others who keep numerous snakes) just don't have the space to give a Ball Python a 6 foot cage, lol. A big cage with lots of stuff in it for a BP is kinda pointless IMO as they aren't display animals and its not a necessity in my eyes. But theres certainly nothing wrong with doing so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast