Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

0 members and 3,362 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

4-in turtle law?

Is the law prohibiting the sale of turtles and tortoises with a carapace of less than 4in still in effect? Did it ever apply to tortoises? Or only turtles? I've noticed at the past couple shows I've went to there were some wee little babies for sale that couldn't have been more than 3in from tip of nose to tip of tail. I even noticed it at NARBC: Tinley Park this past weekend and I was surprised by it. I would assume at a show as large as NARBC everyone would be on the up and up about laws and that even if a vendor attempted to violate them, someone would put a kabash on it. Or is there a loophole I'm not aware of? I don't have any plans to get into turtles, I was just wondering.

Thanks
    i saw someone buy red eared sliders awhile ago and the lady that sold them told them i cant sell turtles under four inches unles they are for educational purposes those people said ok she then proceded to ask if they were teachers and they said no she said just say yes and then proceded to sell them their turtles. as far as i know it is prohibited and i see the signs in all the pet shops i go to but all the tutles they have are the size of a fifty cent piece and i cant see them not selling them cause they are always gone so i guess it is not enforced. im not sure if it applies to tortoises though.
    Last edited by 05kas05; 10-16-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Turtles under 4 in. carapace length can't be sold "as pets".

They can be sold for educational or "commercial" purposes.

So.. "I'm thinking of breeding them in the future" is enough of a reason to skirt by.

Additionally, that regulation is pretty bunk, and really only serves in this day and age to prevent corner pet shops or kiosks in malls from selling baby turtles. There is more salmonella on your kitchen sink than in an average turtle. Read as: You're more likely to get salmonella poisoning from licking your kitchen sink than from eating a baby turtle whole and raw.

Thanks

Re: 4-in turtle law?

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Turtles under 4 in. carapace length can't be sold "as pets".

They can be sold for educational or "commercial" purposes.

So.. "I'm thinking of breeding them in the future" is enough of a reason to skirt by.

Additionally, that regulation is pretty bunk, and really only serves in this day and age to prevent corner pet shops or kiosks in malls from selling baby turtles. There is more salmonella on your kitchen sink than in an average turtle. Read as: You're more likely to get salmonella poisoning from licking your kitchen sink than from eating a baby turtle whole and raw.
    In denver co they don't really enforce this law you can get them on the street for 25.00 with a little tank. I also think this is another dumb law and needs to be changed.

Registered User BleedingOrange36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
    In denver co they don't really enforce this law you can get them on the street for 25.00 with a little tank. I also think this is another dumb law and needs to be changed.
    How many of those turtles do you think survive more than 6months? From my previous experience with seeing tiny turtles sold, they dont last long. People don't understand the care that turtles need..... I have been into aquatic turtles for years now, at that size they are tough.... Eating is a challenge and so are very fragile. I think the law should have more detail though. I think she'll size should be moved to 2-2.5" instead.

Thanks

Re: 4-in turtle law?

Id say 99.9% die in 6months we have csu not far away and lot of the campus kids get them the size of a quarter. I think in less you are a breeder or have a state permit you can only get one that small.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
    Id say 99.9% die in 6months we have csu not far away and lot of the campus kids get them the size of a quarter. I think in less you are a breeder or have a state permit you can only get one that small.
    It's a shame, I know people that have purchased them from New York city and let the sit on their dresser in the tiny plastic container they came in, with a tiny flourescent light. They swear that's how they are supposed to thrive...... Well that's how I got started with turtles, I confiscated them from those people. Now they live in 40gal breeder tanks with all the goodies.

Thanks
    Hello friends I love to have turtle to have in house ,one of my friend gave me in my birthday,but don't know how it got some deaseas and got dead,where w e are living there we get very good quality of turtle,can you pleases give me some suggestion on how to cure them safely.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninakpoole View Post
    Hello friends I love to have turtle to have in house ,one of my friend gave me in my birthday,but don't know how it got some deaseas and got dead,where w e are living there we get very good quality of turtle,can you pleases give me some suggestion on how to cure them safely.
    Proper lighting, proper diet, clean, filtered water, and spellcheck.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BleedingOrange36 For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (10-19-2012),Exotic Ectotherms (10-18-2012)