Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

3 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

a Guide to Racks?

I have been looking around online as well as on the forums here for a good guide and FAQ on racks. The collection is growing ( really need to update the signature) and we are making a more serious move towards getting into breeding. While I wasn't a fan of racks to begin with they are becoming the only logical choice for the health and safety of myself and the snakes.

I have found plenty of "How to build a rack" guides but I have not been able to find any how to set up guides. I have a few unanswered questions still.

1. Do you keep 2 temp probes in every tub for cool side and hot side?
    2. Do you keep a Humidity probe in every tub?
    3. I have seen some people say only use racks in climate controlled rooms, some say only temp controlled rooms, and some say any room is fine.
    4. Should each shelf be wired individually or should they be / can they be wired together for a single plug in?

Those are my main questions I have at the moment. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    1.2 Normal (Houdini-M)(Prada-F)(Tantrum-F)
    1.0 BumbleBee (Recon)
    1.1 100% Het Pied (Hank-M)(Pym-F)
    1.0 Butter (Jive A. Turkey)
    1.1 100% Het Albino ( Albert-M)(Melanie-F)
    0.1 Fire (Bindi)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Penny)
    1.0 Mojave (Baron Samedi)

0.1 Perfect Girlfriend (Jellyfish)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aizkora For This Useful Post:

panella0115 (10-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aizkora View Post
    1. Do you keep 2 temp probes in every tub for cool side and hot side?
    2. Do you keep a Humidity probe in every tub?
    3. I have seen some people say only use racks in climate controlled rooms, some say only temp controlled rooms, and some say any room is fine.
    4. Should each shelf be wired individually or should they be / can they be wired together for a single plug in?
    Glad youve finally decided to come to the dark side lol. I keep all my balls in a rack. Much better imo!

1. No. I measure temps with a temp gun.

2. No. I dont have a humidity gauge. When my bps go into shed i mist their hot sides once a day. Perfect sheds every time.

3. Any room is definetly not fine bc some rooms have drafts and get colder than other rooms. For me personally, I would say the average ambient air temp in my room at any given time is about 75 degrees.

4. Either or is fine. Theres a pro and con to both ways. If you wire it individually then you'll have more plugs to plug into a power strip (not a huge deal i guess). But if one strip goes bad or malfunctions then you just take out that one strip and replace it and only one of your snakes doesnt have heat for a little while. If you have one strip its easier to set up, only one plug, and if it goes bad you just replace the one big strip. But if it does malfunction, then all your snakes are without heat for however long. Theres pros and cons to both sides and ultimately its your choice.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    1 & 2. Most people don't. Many people opt for using a temperature gun to check the hot spots in the tubs. You should have at least one digital thermometer/hygrometer to check the air temperature/humidity.

3. Tubs stay the same temperature as the air in the room. IF you have a completely enclosed rack then they might stay a few degrees above the room temp but not a huge amount. you need to keep the room above 75 degrees in most cases. but closer to 80 is preferred.

4. Either way works just fine it is totally up to you.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Currently I have the Male normal and Bee in a split T8 ( thanks again Aaron!) and most of the rest in a converted Server rack (which is working pretty well mind you). As the ambient is still around 82-88 in the room I have not worried about heat yet. I know I will be needing to convert to a true rack by mid November so trying to get the details in now.

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it, as always this community is amazing!
    1.2 Normal (Houdini-M)(Prada-F)(Tantrum-F)
    1.0 BumbleBee (Recon)
    1.1 100% Het Pied (Hank-M)(Pym-F)
    1.0 Butter (Jive A. Turkey)
    1.1 100% Het Albino ( Albert-M)(Melanie-F)
    0.1 Fire (Bindi)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Penny)
    1.0 Mojave (Baron Samedi)

0.1 Perfect Girlfriend (Jellyfish)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I keep thermometers in the top most tub warm side and lowest tub cool side, as well as the middle two one warm side one cool side.

Humidity instruments I have in a couple, randomly I move them around some.

My rack is in a room that is often below 68ºF it is old and draughty home. It can be done, it is not easy and I would NOT recommend this unless there is no other way. If that is the case I can describe how I manage it but it is complex and has extensive mods to the rack to make it work.

either or I like individually as it makes cleaning easier I can unplug one level while I use disinfectant with out risk of shock.