Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

2 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Cool design fish. I don't know how you nest box will affect the heat gradient. But if you can get temps and humidity under control and can accommodate the unnecessary sized hides then who knows you may start a trend.
    This message brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

0.1 Normal

Thanks
    Sorry necessary sized hides. Must have selected the wrong spelling correction.
    This message brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

0.1 Normal

Thanks

Re: Fish dips cage build

Quote Originally Posted by arialmt View Post
    Cool design fish. I don't know how you nest box will affect the heat gradient. But if you can get temps and humidity under control and can accommodate the unnecessary sized hides then who knows you may start a trend.
    Well I plan to build a ato mist unit and temp wont be hard as I will put fans on it so if its hot the blow out the warm air. I have decided to get this equipment so far.

Reptile basics 160 watt radiant heat panel
    Herpstat 4

Still trying to find a good ato mist unit or I may just build one. with the mist unit is ro water fine?

- - - Updated - - -

Also what about adding stuff like this in the cage?

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I'll be honest a BP cage shouldn't need fans or a misting system. Plus the 160 heat panel is way more than necessary (the 40 is the appropriate size)

Honestly by the time you do all of this you are going to spend way more money than just purchasing a professionally made PVC cage like the Animal Plastics T8

http://www.apcages.com/

Simpler is better. This is how I house all of my ball Pythons

These cages hold in heat and humidity very well. You can use under tank heaters, radiant heat panels or both.

If you really want to make things complicated here is a good misting system. RO water isn't necessary but will increase the life of the misting heads.

http://www.mistking.com/

Ball pythons are nocturnal terrestrial snakes. This means that they are only active at night and they don't climb. The most important aspect of a BP cage is providing the correct temperature gradient (90 degrees on the hot side and 80 degrees on the cool side with 40%-60% humidity) and security. Nothing else is really important.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 10-11-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: Fish dips cage build

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I'll be honest a BP cage shouldn't need fans or a misting system. Plus the 160 heat panel is way more than necessary (the 40 is the appropriate size)

Honestly by the time you do all of this you are going to spend way more money than just purchasing a professionally made PVC cage like the Animal Plastics T8

http://www.apcages.com/

Simpler is better. This is how I house all of my ball Pythons

These cages hold in heat and humidity very well. You can use under tank heaters, radiant heat panels or both.

If you really want to make things complicated here is a good misting system. RO water isn't necessary but will increase the life of the misting heads.

http://www.mistking.com/

Ball pythons are nocturnal terrestrial snakes. This means that they are only active at night and they don't climb. The most important aspect of a BP cage is providing the correct temperature gradient (90 degrees on the hot side and 80 degrees on the cool side with 40%-60% humidity) and security. Nothing else is really important.
    I don't care about the money part of it to me its the fun of doing it and learning as I build it the cage alone will only be 65.00 or so to build. I order acrylic in 4x8 sheets so its not going to be very much. I all ready have most of the blue acrylic. The room the room the BP will be in is at 65 all year long so I rather have a heater that will keep up with the cold. I was thinking about doing 2 40 heaters. So are you thinking a area sunk with bark for her to dig in along with a cave or something using heat tape to keep it warm?

Thanks
    So I think I have found the kinda BP I will get a Lavender albino been looking at the one Dave Green has on his site.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I really admire the effort you are putting into this project, but I feel like it will be wasted on a ball python. They really make boring display snakes (sorry ball pythons, I still love ya!).

Instead of adding heat, try adding some insulation to maintain temps. 2 RHPs AND flexwatt is overkill. These animals don't need to be kept at ridiculously high temperatures.

I think if you are really set on building a nice display cage, pick a different kind of snake. Maybe an arboreal snake or a boa of some sort. They are a little more exciting to look at and make better use of the display. In any case, I think the nesting box is unnecessary and will just be annoying to clean.

Also, if you plan on getting a hatchling animal, you should raise it in something smaller until it is an adult, then transfer it to your custom cage.
    ~Steffe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Munizfire (10-19-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I really admire the effort you are putting into this project, but I feel like it will be wasted on a ball python. They really make boring display snakes (sorry ball pythons, I still love ya!).

Instead of adding heat, try adding some insulation to maintain temps. 2 RHPs AND flexwatt is overkill. These animals don't need to be kept at ridiculously high temperatures.

I think if you are really set on building a nice display cage, pick a different kind of snake. Maybe an arboreal snake or a boa of some sort. They are a little more exciting to look at and make better use of the display. In any case, I think the nesting box is unnecessary and will just be annoying to clean.

Also, if you plan on getting a hatchling animal, you should raise it in something smaller until it is an adult, then transfer it to your custom cage.
    I agree with this 100%

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12