Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

2 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Fancy rats as feeders?

Quote Originally Posted by stupidcracker00 View Post
    The Petco near me does not sell fancy rats (or I haven't ever seen them) an they only sell males... I guess they don't want to responsible for irresponsible breeders using them to breed. Whatever. I have found a few breeders around where I live but apparently this lady has a waiting period for her dumbo blues. There are 5 ppl ahead of me for females and 1 for a male. She never has any problem selling them for 35. And it'll probably be worth it if I can turn around and sell the offspring of the two for about 20-25. I know there's gotta be a demand for them in my area because there's only a petsmart and Petco in my suburb and neither sell anything other than feeders. I will basically be the third source of rats in my town.

Where should I look to find the fancy rats that cost $7 that you were talking about? I could buy way more to start off of I did that.

Thanks,
    SC
    Death co has boys and girls but the store will only have one kind in my area one has girls the other store has boys.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fishdip For This Useful Post:

stupidcracker00 (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Annageckos View Post
    'Tan albino'? I am guessing you mean it has red eyes. I only have 'fancy' rats, most people call any rat that is not albino fancy. I have gotten all my rats from pet stores. I got a black dumbo that carried the blue gene from Petsmart. Now I have a combination of dumbo, top ear, black eye, ruby eye, odd eye, manx, blue (russian and american), black, beige, cinnamon, agouti, blaze, berkshire, hooded, variegated and irish. And probably others I am forgetting right now. There is nothing wrong with getting pet store rats to breed, and you can end up with some really cool looking rats. Just make sure to check them out and make sure they are healthy and not nippy before buying any rat. I just picked up a silvery blue blaze berkshire male from a pet store a few weeks ago to mate with a self russian blue dumbo female. Can't wait to see what they throw.
    Idk... The lady told me the parents were albino show rats (but the pictures showed them with tan hoods) and the grandparents were blues. Idk how rat genetics work but that's what she told me.

Where did you get all those genetics???? I'm so jealous! I want to have colonies like that soon but I gotta start somewhere... Which is why I'm choosing American blue dumbos. I'll probably toy around with beige also and try to make some cool lookin rats.

Can you show me a pic of your silvery blue blaze berkshire? It sounds really neat.

Thanks in advance,
    SC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Have you checked any places that would be selling rodent food? Sometimes you'd be amazed at how many rat producers are in an area. I knew of one, and it turns out that now I know of over a dozen within 25 miles. It's just hard to find them. If you ask around at feed stores, you may find there's someone buying food for a colony and get in touch.
    That's actually a really good idea. I should have thought of that. I'll head up to my local feed store and see if they could point me in the right direction

Thanks,
    SC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
    Death co has boys and girls but the store will only have one kind in my area one has girls the other store has boys.
    Sounds warm and cozie lol. Where are they located?

Thanks,
    SC

Thanks

Idk... The lady told me the parents were albino show rats (but the pictures showed them with tan hoods) and the grandparents were blues. Idk how rat genetics work but that's what she told me.

Where did you get all those genetics???? I'm so jealous! I want to have colonies like that soon but I gotta start somewhere... Which is why I'm choosing American blue dumbos. I'll probably toy around with beige also and try to make some cool lookin rats.

Can you show me a pic of your silvery blue blaze berkshire? It sounds really neat.

Thanks in advance,
    SC
    Next time I clean the tubs I will try to get a photo of him. Like I said, all my rats came from pet stores. You can find some pretty cool things sometimes. I have also done a bit of line breeding when a trait I liked popped up. I use to have a line of Himalayans that came from a black pair of pet store rats. As for the breeder with the 'albinos' I would take what she says with a grain of salt. Tan hooded rats with red eyes are not albino, it sounds like beige (or maybe champagne) to me. Albino gene is the lack of all pigment. I know a lot of people call anything with red eyes albino, but a breeder should know better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annageckos For This Useful Post:

stupidcracker00 (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Next time I clean the tubs I will try to get a photo of him. Like I said, all my rats came from pet stores. You can find some pretty cool things sometimes. I have also done a bit of line breeding when a trait I liked popped up. I use to have a line of Himalayans that came from a black pair of pet store rats. As for the breeder with the 'albinos' I would take what she says with a grain of salt. Tan hooded rats with red eyes are not albino, it sounds like beige (or maybe champagne) to me. Albino gene is the lack of all pigment. I know a lot of people call anything with red eyes albino, but a breeder should know better.
    Ya the color threw me off when she said albino. But I thought I just didnt know what I was talkin about since I'm new to all this. And by pet stores do you mean Petco and Petsmart? Or local small chain pet sores?

Thanks again,
    SC

Thanks

Sounds warm and cozie lol. Where are they located?

Thanks,
    SC
    In co

Thanks

And by pet stores do you mean Petco and Petsmart? Or local small chain pet sores?

Thanks again,
    SC
    Both, I got a dumbo black female from petsmart, and have picked up other colors at independent and smaller local chain stores too. I like to go around to all the pet stores in the area from time to time. Petco around here rarely carries colored rats, but the petsmart does.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annageckos For This Useful Post:

stupidcracker00 (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Both, I got a dumbo black female from petsmart, and have picked up other colors at independent and smaller local chain stores too. I like to go around to all the pet stores in the area from time to time. Petco around here rarely carries colored rats, but the petsmart does.
    Ok cool. I'll have to go check my petsmart. Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Works View Post
    Still waiting for that photo. Any luck with the rats?
    I can second that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234