Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,089

0 members and 3,089 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those who may not know, emroul (Jennifer) keeps hots. I can't think of anyone else on the forum that does. I'm sure they'll speak up, though.

I think copperheads are among the most beautiful snakes of all....but I don't have any interest in keeping them. I'll be very content to admire them from afar. (But not TOO far. )
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I think the black-tailed rattlesnake is beautiful. I saw one in a local shop, and it was a beautiful deep olive green with some black scales and the requisite black tail.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I was always of the belief that it was illegal to keep "hots" unless you had special liscensing. Is this just a state thing?? I would love to hear more about this!

For the record, as much as I love snakes, there is no chance in HELL that i would ever even consider owning a snake that contained venom. In fact, at this point i won't even consider wandering outside the realm of BP's! What are you people thinkin!!?? It just seems as though you are askin for trouble handling & housing hots. What if one were to escape & get into the general population?
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    Personally, I do not want to keep anything venomous. I love looking at them at zoos and pics online; they are fascinating and beautiful. I think that anyone who plans on keepinng hots, should definately undergo some sorta apprenticeship with an experienced keeper. I think it's kind of like guns; you would not just go out and buy one (hopefully!) if you never shot one or closely watched someone do it in person. Since both guns and hots can be deadly in the wrong (or hell, the right) hands, I hope that people who want to keep hots, know what they're doing, and are not just doing it to appear macho!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks
    Eddie, laws vary from place to place. I don't actually want to keep anything venomous, but if I did, I could keep an Eastern Coral Snake with no special licensing -- unlike, say, a corn snake, supposedly the ideal beginner snake, which is illegal to keep without a permit here.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Ditto - think you hit the nail on the head Gin - it IS like a loaded gun (that could potentially escape hehe). I won't entertain the idea as long as we have 3 overly brave and curious boys at home, just a recipe for waaaay too much to go wrong. I'm game enough to get stuff described as "irrascible" "nippy" and "bites at every opportunity" but a hot in our house would be like a loaded assault rifle with a hair trigger - just way too cool and fascinating for boys to resist.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only problem I have with the "gun" analogy, is that a gun will NEVER escape from it's box all by itself and start cruising around the house to be accidently stepped on by an unsuspecting person. But I agree with everyone...keeping hots while there are children in the house is extremely dangerous.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    laws on hots vary greatly between states, as I am sure Emoroul (sp?) can tell you.
    You should always contact your local state authority, such as department of environmental protection (CT) etc.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    Eddie, you were wondering if it escape dinto general population? Thats not the issue. Hot s are in the general population in most places. And in most states, the only Hot you can legally have is one that is native to that state. Permits are required for exotic hots in most places. The issue is escaping and endangering you and your family in your home.
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustysdragons
    laws on hots vary greatly between states, as I am sure Emoroul (sp?) can tell you.
    You should always contact your local state authority, such as department of environmental protection (CT) etc.
    Rusty
    You can find general guidelines here: http://www.api4animals.org/372.htm and you can click on the links in the far right column to read the actual laws.

Laws on keeping all exotic animals vary greatly between states - from Hawaii, which allows NO exotic animals, to Wisconsin, which has no laws at all governing the keeping of exotic animals.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast