Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

3 members and 3,165 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

possibly new blood need enclosure help

i was looking into getting a blood python in the future. i want to start by looking for some enclosures and weighing my options, im mainly looking at getting a animal plastics cage or animal plastics rack. which do you guys and gals that own bloods prefer a cage or rack if you prefer a rack what size tubs do you normally use and if you prefer an actual cage which size do you recommend i use as far as the sizing goes for the animal plastics .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    My subadults are in 34qt tubs and will move up until they need an actual cage. I plan on at least 4' cages for my females, and if they need a 6' (monsters) then I'll upgrade them. Most males will be fine in 4' cages or tubs of similar length IMO. I know there's a really nice rack that some breeders use for their adult bloods but I can't recall what it was called/what the tub dimensions are.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I would go with a 4-6 foot cage, or the AP VE175 rack (which was designed for Bloods I believe)
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Registered User Cold-Blooded Earth's Avatar
    Thanks
    I keep all my bloods/short-tails in Animal Plastic racks. I start them off in the shoe box size bins, then move them up to sweater bins, and finally into VE175s, which were designed for bloods. Babies will not thrive in a large cage. They need to feel secure. What size blood python where you thinking of getting?
    Nick Bottini

Check out our website www.cold-bloodedearth.com
    and
    "Like" us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/ColdBloodedEarth

Thanks

Re: possibly new blood need enclosure help

well if i get one it would most likely be a small juvenile, i was asking about cage sizing because on the ball python forum i asked for suggestions on a new snake that i could house in my spare animal plastics t3 for the life of the snake through adult hood, a person there suggested blood pythons and said it would be fine to house him in my t3 but the more i look online and see these wonderful snakes i really dont see it unless it was a small adult male. so on that note do you think it possible to house one in my t3 or do you have any other thoughts or opinions on a different snake i could look at that might be able to live its life out in my t3, i have smaller setups to start them out in so they wont be to stressed. any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

That cage may be a bit small, in my opinion. I know people who do keep bloods successfully in 3 x 2 cages, but I prefer a floor space of 4 x 2 for adults, especially females. An adult male Sumatran Short-Tail aka Black Blood could probably live in a cage that size.
    Nick Bottini

and

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For an adult you will need either a T8 or 10 cage (4x2 foot print) or a rack fitting VE175 tubs like this one

Those tubs can be found at stores like Target, Walmart etc around christmas time for about $25, they are sold as Christmas Tree Box and their dimensions is 52x20x12
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Cold-Blooded Earth (09-27-2012),mr.spooky (09-27-2012),sissysnakes (09-27-2012)

Thanks
    I keep 2 of mine in T10's and there perfect size for both of them and they work out good,,,, BUT, I have a 1 year old that I keep in a rack as I always will with him, sometimes hees a little grumpy and I dont want to try to mess with him in an "enclosed" enclosure.
    Tho these guys are pretty dosile for the most part, I dont wanna be sholder deep in a T10/T8 when a blood is having a bad day. Dont let their "fatty" looks fool ya, there fast strikers. The 2 I have in the T10's will always stay in there but my other 2 and any others to come will be housed in some kind of rack system.
    spooky

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

sissysnakes (09-27-2012)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Cold-Blooded Earth;1926629]That cage may be a bit small, in my opinion. I know people who do keep bloods successfully in 3 x 2 cages, but I prefer a floor space of 4 x 2 for adults, especially females. An adult male Sumatran Short-Tail aka Black Blood could probably live in a cage that size.[/QUO

i was looking at a 2012 cb chrome head black blood, if i get one i am thinking of starting him it out in a small rack setup and then moving him to the t3 if he gets bigger and needs a t8 or a t10 i could get one at a later date. if i got a juvenile how long do you think it would be before he out grows the t3? just an average i know there are a lot of factors im just trying to weigh all of the options before i jump in.if it would take six to eight months i might go ahead and pick one up but if its growth rate is faster than that i will wait to get the new cage first and then see whats available at that time.

Thanks

[QUOTE=05kas05;1927635]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold-Blooded Earth View Post
    That cage may be a bit small, in my opinion. I know people who do keep bloods successfully in 3 x 2 cages, but I prefer a floor space of 4 x 2 for adults, especially females. An adult male Sumatran Short-Tail aka Black Blood could probably live in a cage that size.[/QUO

i was looking at a 2012 cb chrome head black blood, if i get one i am thinking of starting him it out in a small rack setup and then moving him to the t3 if he gets bigger and needs a t8 or a t10 i could get one at a later date. if i got a juvenile how long do you think it would be before he out grows the t3? just an average i know there are a lot of factors im just trying to weigh all of the options before i jump in.if it would take six to eight months i might go ahead and pick one up but if its growth rate is faster than that i will wait to get the new cage first and then see whats available at that time.
    Good plan. I think if you got a 2011 it would be 2 years before you would have to get a new cage. If you got a 2010 it would be a year before you need a t8 or t10.
    Nick Bottini

and

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast