Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,042

1 members and 3,041 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Stuck shed advice needed

One of my ball pythons just shed, but I noticed it came off in a few pieces and did not shed her head. Please let me know if you have any advice on how to remove the shed from her head. I put her back in her tub in the rack and misted the paper towels to increase humidity.

Thanks

Thanks
    Soak her in a inch or so of luke warm water for 20 minutes. Rub a wet rag or gentley use your finger nails. Once the skin is moist it should rub off. Be careful with the eye caps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snake8myelbo For This Useful Post:

gene22 (09-26-2012)

Thanks
    I had a similar problem, what kind of cage do u use? Aquarium with a screen top?
    Welli went a bought a 60-70 dollar dogger from petsmart and I would put it on full blast for 2 hours with a towel on top, then shut it off for 45 mins, then I put it on low out for 1 hour times, for about 3-4 times. Next day... It was gone!!! I hope this informational for you!
    1.0 HoneyBee (Oenomaus)
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Het. Orange Ghost (Quorra)

Thanks

Re: Stuck shed advice needed

Get any kind of burlap sack (like the snake bags you often see, or something from grocery store), anything that is rough to the touch. Run it under hot water, as hot as you can take. wring it quickly, just enough to not have it drip on floor. Put snake in bag, in cage and presto, shed will come off.

Works any time I have the issue.

Check your humidity levels

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just put the snake inside a wet snake bag and put the bag back in the cage. Stuck sheds are usually gone when I check again in a couple hours. Sometimes particularily tough ones need to go overnight.

Thanks

Re: Stuck shed advice needed

When their eyes get cloudy start spraying their body with some water. Rub it into the skin to help the snake out. The shed will come off nice if you water them before it starts to peel. Having a snake in a plastic tub with air holes and an open waterbowl is usually enough to get a good shed.

Thanks
    I also had the same issue. If you Have a Aquarium, like me(mines HUGE), scroll down to the DIY section of the forum and theres an awsome sticky on doing a cheap tin foil treatment. It keeps an awsome humidity and is the best wat to get the stuck shed off. After i did it my girl was good as new in a day or so... Hope It Helps!!!!

Thanks
    You have low humidity, that's something you need to fix.. A really easy way to keep humidity in is a towel over the open screen or foil tape covering the open screen. What I would personally do is give a warm soak at 88.f (water temp) and then get the humidity up in the cage. I wouldn't pick at the shed especially because it's on her head. If anything get the shed off her head but do not pick at her eyes. Trying to get Those eye caps off could potentially leave her blind or open her eyes up for infection. Especially If you accidentally take the living cap off. If the eye caps stay on it won't harm her eyes at all, and you'll have to fix you humidity issue by next shed. Both sets of old caps will come off then.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com