Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,235

2 members and 3,233 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning...

Thanks
    virosan looks expensive. I would rather spen an extra 5-10 minutes rinsing than spending 34 more dollars per gallon for a disinfectant.
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You have to dilute it - you don't use it full strength. It goes a long way, I'd I prefer not having to worry about rinsing and drying the bleach all the way. I bleach deco in my fish aquariums. One time I swore it had been long enough - and it wasn't. Lost a good deal of my collection. I prefer the quickness and convenience and peace of mind of the Virosan. Works great. I keep a diluted spray bottle to spray water dishes daily and the inside of the tank on cleaning day. I then put a squirt nozzle on the gallon jug, and when I'm disinfecting deco I just squirt the amount I need into a tub of water. It's so convenient for me to just be able to rinse (not really needed) and towel dry as opposed to air drying. That whay I can put deco right back in the cage.

When diluted according to manufacturer's directions (Nolvasan, for example, is used at the rate of 3 ounces per gallon of water) they will last a long time (depending upon the number of enclosures, furnishings and utensils). Bleach should be used at the rate of 4 ounces per gallon of water, ammonia at 3.5 ounces per gallon. Note that weaker solutions should be used on amphibian enclosures and furnishings.)
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    i might just have to give it a try then
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

Thanks
    Right on Smulkin thanks for that link!
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks
    I use antibacterial dish soap. I take each cage out on the porch, and hose it with hot water. then i put a few inches of soapy water in and soak for about a half hour. Then I scrub with a scrubby sponge, and rinse the hell out of the cage. Then, I dry it out with a clean towel and replace everything. I only strip them once a month, though. Spot cleaning is done with hot water, but usually just the newspaper substrate has the "dirt" on it.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think what's important for everyone to know/realize is that there is a difference between cleaning, disinfecting and sterilizing. Hot soapy water cleans - and that's all it does.

http://www.anapsid.org/cleaning.html

Cleaning is the general removal of debris which helps reduce the amount of organic matter that contributes to the proliferation of bacteria and diseases.

Disinfecting removes most of the organisms present on the surface which can cause infection or disease - is useful against a number of bacterial and viral microorganisms

Sterilization, on the other hand, is the killing or removal of all disease causing organisms
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12