Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,156

1 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cape Coral, Florida, originally from Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks

Question: Does the name really matter? (Breeder vs Price)

Does the name of a big breeder really matter when buying balls or any reptiles that have no difference in line/appearance/quality?

Example: If the 'most popular breeder and Ball Python God' is selling a female albino ball for $450 and the 'Joe Schmo no-name breeder' is selling a female albino ball for $300, and they appear to be of same healthy/quality/appearance.... who would you buy from? Does it really matter?

Reason I ask is... say you had a chance to buy a snake you wanted for the best possible price, and you couldn't see who you're buying from until having made the purchase (but you obviously get to see the snake you are buying), would this matter?

How many would rather buy from a 'well known breeder' and pay more, over an 'unknown breeder' for less, considering all things are equal with the animal in question?

Or do people actually think that 'Joe Schmo no-name breeder' can't possibly have the same quality of animals that the 'Ball Python God' has, which justifies you paying him 50% more, in some cases?

Curious to hear what people think!
    He that flings dirt at another dirtieth himself most. ~Thomas Fuller
    Never look down on someone… unless you are helping them up. ~Erin Majors
    You don’t build a reputation on what you are GOING to do. ~Henry Ford
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Ghandi
    Always assume your assumption is invalid!

Thanks

Re: Question: Does the name really matter? (Breeder vs Price)

most of my snakes didn't come from big name breeders you hear everyday but they were the same quality or i am happy at how much of a good quality they are comapared to the big name breeders and at a lower price

it's safer to buy from a big time breeder because they have the reputation of being legit and people feel safe buying from them.

but then theres the small time breeders with the same quality snakes but people are cautious when buying because they are unknown breeders.

after looking them up and seing good review i will go with the lower price same quality the small time breeders offer

1.0 albino
    0.1 black pastel 66% het. albino
    1.0 cinny

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JaGv For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012)

Thanks
    I have no problem buying from a smaller breeder. In fact, the one and only time I bought from a big name breeder, I got screwed over. It drives me crazy when I see people paying twice what an animal is worth from a big breeder just because of the name attached to it. It is no different than people who pay big bucks for a sweater just because it has some guy's name on it when you can get the same quality sweater at Wal-Mart for a fraction of the price.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AK907 For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have bought from big breeders and no name breeders. I bought 2 from a big name breeder, one was amazing, the other came with some guest which i did not appreciate, but thank god i do a strict quarantine process. The no name breeders we just it not more helpful and would sit and talk to you on the phone for as long as your need. Yeah, the big named breeders earned their rep, but to still charge 50% more than market for a morph, even if it is a poor example of it is beyond me. But its like buying a anything in life, you pay for the name
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1nstinct For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    For me the name doesn't matter with visual morphs. The quality of the animal is what I pay for, period. And I AM willing to pay 50% more for an amazing animal than a run of the mill one. Whether it be from pythongawds or newbieMcnewberson.
    With hets though...I would just feel more comfortable buying from someone with rep. Now, that doesn't mean pythongawds, but someone who at least has been around the block a few seasons. Someone with an unscathed and positive BOI. This also would matter with higher end morphs (morphs over 1-2k). But, same token...if I found an omgoosie amazing animal from newbieMcNewberson...I might take that risk with a high end visual...It also has a lot to do with how people represent themselves.
    Webpage, email names, customer service etc. (Email names is a big issue for me...Any time I see an email attached to a breeder that is along the lines of something I would have used at age 15...yea....lol)

Represent your self professionally and communicate well, and you will probably have my business for that sexy snake you're selling

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012),King's Royal Pythons (09-26-2012)

Thanks
    I have bought from big and small and a whole bunch in between. I bought a GTP from a well known breeder and the snake died a couple days after I received it. This happened about 10 years ago. Still waiting to hear back from him.

I have also sold a good amount snakes I have produced but I would bet most people never heard of me. I don't have a business name and I haven't bred in a long time.

My snakes are just as good as any of the big guys and most people tell me they like dealing with me better. Not saying the big guys aren't good to deal with but they do have a lot more people to deal with. Kind of like waiting in line at a busy Apple store. They might know their stuff and have great stuff but you can end up just another customer.

Find the snake you can't live without and make contact with the seller. Feel them out. Ask questions. Check BOI. Ask more questions then go with your gut.
    "you only regret the risks in life you DON'T take."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cecilbturtle For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    Name, to me, only means something when it comes to buying online. I mean, sure their name can carry. A reputation of healthy and good quality animals, but if Albino A and Albino B are in your hands, the one that YOU like is what you should get.

The old adage that you get what you pay for applies, but if you like the cheaper Albino go for it.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodieh For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AK907 View Post
    I have no problem buying from a smaller breeder. In fact, the one and only time I bought from a big name breeder, I got screwed over. It drives me crazy when I see people paying twice what an animal is worth from a big breeder just because of the name attached to it. It is no different than people who pay big bucks for a sweater just because it has some guy's name on it when you can get the same quality sweater at Wal-Mart for a fraction of the price.
    I couldn't agree with the sweater analogy more. I think as long as you are happy with what you are purchasing it really doesn't matter who you get from though. My girlfriend and I have gotten an animal from a big time breeder which turned out to have mites. Buying from anyone in general has its ups and downs.

Big time breeders move such a huge volume of animals that they may lack in some parts of their care. Although most are on point, problems can happen. When you look at smaller unknown breeders, they don't have enough reputation within the community so you may be reluctant to buy from them as well. Although they tend to have lower prices to combat the lack of reputation, you can still get quality animals from them.

All in all, when it comes to buying animals from anybody always do your research. It is always a gamble especially when you are ordering online or through the phone and you can't inspect the animal in person. The bottom line is find an animal you like, do your research about the breeder and make your decision.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

15. The Following User Says Thank You to notmyfault For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What matter to me is

1# The animal itself first and foremost

2# The reputation of the seller (big name or small breeder as long as they are reputable and honest that's all that matter to me)

3# The price

In that very specific order.
    Deborah Stewart

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012),C&H Exotic Morphs (09-26-2012)

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have found that often smaller breeders will have better customer service because they are not rushed to fill a bunch of orders.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meowmeowkazoo For This Useful Post:

BciJoe (09-26-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast