Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,127

0 members and 3,127 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Thinking of getting a Monitor/Tegu.. (Plus a lill' info about myself!)

This is going to be my first post on this site and also a lengthy one. I joined only recently as well. However I've known and checked on this site for some time now.
    Well before I start discussing I'll like to talk a little bit about myself.

I've been keeping reptiles for many, many years now. Starting when I used to keep WC Garter Snakes when I was little. I had I little "secret" spot where I used to see Melanistics and on rare sightings even Flames. Of course it wasn't too long before I got my first Corn Snakes and like the story goes.. I got another one.. And another. I think you get the idea?

From there on I started to do research on other colubrids. Rat Snakes, Kings & Milk Snakes really caught my eye. Before long I saw myself with so many different morphs of each! This was also the time where I really started to breed. So many babies, so little time! I also had quite the interest in invertebrates and amphibians also. I think you know how that went.. So, now my collection is getting quite large. I was really loving and enjoying it!

Shortly after this Ball Pythons were becoming more and more popular. I was never really into pythons and boas at the time. However I was curious to see what was all the fuse about. Started to do a bit of research on them. So, I went out and bought myself a pair of "pure" normals. Decided to breed 'em in a few years time.
    The time has came. Three years later I finally thought to myself, "I think their ready." The female if I can recall was about.. 3200 grams. The male was around 2000 grams. Few months later. The female gave birth! To my surprise though. There was one hatchling that looked different.. Unique. Beautiful! A lil' albino male! I couldn't believe my eyes. I can only assume either the male or female was a het!
    Now this was when my Ball Python collection grew! Oh boy let me tell you. I had around.. 20-30 males and 30-50 females in just a few short years!

During those years I also had an interest in lizards. So, I got a few Leos and Beardies. Even got a pair of Blue-tongued Skinks!
    If it wasn't for my cousin and my girlfriend at the time I would have never been able to handle such a large group of animals!

After breeding for awhile I really thought to myself, "Hey. Perhaps it's time to settle down a bit, eh?" This thinking came across because my contracting buisness really started to sky rocket. I was getting more and more busy.
    So, I downsized quite a bit. However I'm still happy, got married, have an amazing job, and an awesome hobby. What more can I guy ask for? Sadly..O
    n February 8th, 2012 (Yes, I remember the date) is when the city of Hamilton, Ontario decided the animal by-law had to go through a "change." '
    Pet limits have been limited to 4 domestic animals per dwelling in urban areas.' -Quote.
    I however did not know of this. They didn't really made themselves clear on it. So, on March 17th, 2012 I guess somebody that knew I had many reptiles and other animals called Animal Control. As those are who came knocking on my door. I wasn't home at the time. I was working.
    5:00pm came stalking up and I just got home. Took off my shoes, sat down on the kicthen table to relax for a bit. My wife came rushing up the basement stairs. As that is where our "Reptile" room is located. (The whole basement was converted). She told me the awful news. R
    ight away I grabed the YellowPages and called Animal Control. They made me call a whole bunch of places. I eventually was able to get a hold of somebody. The conversation me and her had was not an enjoyable one nor was it pleasent and it sounded like I really had no choice. I
    've been told that I had 60 days to get rid of my animals. Except for four.. I had a cat, so I knew she wasn't going anywhere. I've called a few friends up and within the month most of animals were gone. Really heartbreakin' stuff here. Eventually they were all gone. Enclosures, tubs, cages, heating, frozen feeders.. Everything. Now let's flash forward. To right now. I'm quite depressed as of late. Honestly, I think it's because I don't have a reptile in my life.
    Pathetic? Maybe so. Do I care? No.
    Just a little about me and my past as this will probably be mention sooner or later.

Now unto the good news!
    After thinking and researching for many months. I knew very well I needed some sort of.. Scaley friend. I was always into Monitor lizards, but because of lack of space. I never got one, but now.. I have the space to do so. Savannah Monitors really caught my eye. Argentine Red Tegus & Argentine Black & Whites as well. I've been doing research on the three animals and it would seem that the Tegus are easier to care for? So, after doing countless research I think I will love to own! Perhaps even two! However I do not plan to get any time soon. Perhaps next summer or spring?

I also had an idea if how large and how I'm going to build it's enclosure. If I'm able to find a 10' long piece of good quality plywood then that's what I'll be using if not. I'll go for an 8' footer. Here, let me write about how I'm thinking of constructing it. Perhaps give me some advice as well! Construction of the 8'x4'x4' enclosure:

Eight 2x6's underneath a think and good quality plywood. Perhaps have an inch think? This would help hold the weight of the substrate.
    The frame will be built with 2x4's. The sides and back with the same good quality plywood. I'm also thinking that the sides, back, and top be insulation? To keep in heat.
    If insulation is added I'll place more sheets of plywood over the 2x4's. However these will coated with.. Polycrylic (or something similar) and a good basement and patio primer. Three coats of each should be good. The same will be for the top/roof of the enclosure. Now.. I'll use 100% silicon and aquarium sealant. To seal the cracks and groves.
    I'm also thinking of using aluminum sheeting. The ones used for roofing? To place along the edges. To cover the cracks and groves. (Just to make sure no moisture gets inside!)
    Then ontop of all of this I'll place some linoleum/vinyl flooring all over!
    I forget to drill holes for the lighting and heating.
    The front will be raised about.. 2'-30". So, I can place a food layer of substrate. What will be a a good mix for Tegus? I heard they were burrowing species so.. about 2' of topsoil and playsand? 60/40 or should I use cypress mulch? Can't see how that can hold up a burrow though..
    For the door should I use glass or acrylic?
    I also wanted to add a shelf unit. I've seen a Youtube video of someone who made for his Savannah Monitor. I actually loved that idea. Would Tegus use this or no? I guess it will depends on the Tegu..

Now unto more husbandry information.
    I'll probably use a few basking spots. One at around 140°F. (60°C) Another one at 130°F. (54°C) and perhaps another at 110°F - 120°F (43°C -49°C) Hence why I'll like to create a shelf unit. More options as too where to put basking lamps. So, that's about 9 lamps! Also one of the basking spots will be ceramic heat emitters so, there will always be some sort of heat at night.
    I will also be using UVB bulbs. Perhaps two? One with a cluster of basking lamps and another on the cool side. I'm hoping the ambient temperatures will be 90°F-95°F. (32°C -35°C) on the warm side and 80°F - 85°F. (26°C - 29°C) on the cool side. I'll have to adjust this. It won't be perfect the first time I do it! Everything will be hooked on a timer and dimmer switches. Rheostats, etc. Humidity will also be an issue. I need around 70-90% from what I've gathered. It'll be easier to get 70% on the warm and 90% on the cool. So, I'll aim for that.
    Throughout the enclosures I'll place logs and branches, hides and a good sized water dish(tub). All the good stuff.

Let's talk a lil' bit of feeding, shall we?
    I'll want to give my Tegu (or Savannah Monitor) a complete and varied diet. Giving my Tegu all sorts of insects, fruits, and vegetables! Some examples are.. Crickets, Superworms, Mealworms, Dubia Roaches, Earthworms and Nightcrawlers, Snails, and Shrimp! And of course.. Mice and Rats! Maybe even small fish. (I'm planning in breeding Mealworms, Superworms, Worms, and the Roaches! Should be fun!)
    Some vegies & fruit would include.. Blueberries, cherries, blackberries, raspberries, Thompson's seedless grapes, kiwi, melons, & strawberries and bananas for treats! Collared greens & bell peppers! I'm also thinking of a feeding schedule with supplements.

I am fully aware of the risk of owning such a large lizard. The time it takes to "tame" one of them down. I'm also fully aware that it will take my full attention, but I can honestly say that I am ready.

..So, that's basically it folks. Thanks for looking and I hope this was a good read!

Awesome Savannah Monitor care sheet Wayne! Truely amazing stuff!

--Shawn.

P.S. Sorry if there is any spelling errors and the such. I also might have missed something that I forgot to write down as well. Thanks.
    Last edited by MafiaM16; 09-25-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Thinking of getting a Monitor/Tegu.. (Plus a lill' info about myself!)

Quote Originally Posted by MafiaM16 View Post
    Shortly after this Ball Pythons were becoming more and more popular. I was never really into pythons and boas at the time. However I was curious to see what was all the fuse about. Started to do a bit of research on them. So, I went out and bought myself a pair of "pure" normals. Decided to breed 'em in a few years time.
    The time has came. Three years later I finally thought to myself, "I think their ready." The female if I can recall was about.. 3200 grams. The male was around 2000 grams. Few months later. The female gave birth! To my surprise though. There was one hatchling that looked different.. Unique. Beautiful! A lil' albino male! I couldn't believe my eyes. I can only assume either the male or female was a het!
    Ball pythons lay eggs..

Thanks

What I meant by few months later and by her giving birth I really meant.. Oh hell with it. It was a spelling error. Good thing I wrote "P.S. Sorry if there is any spelling errors and the such. I also might have missed something that I forgot to write down as well. Thanks." LOL. I should edit that..? Before anybody else sees it! Hahaha.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Lol, just messin with ya man. Welcome Shawn.

Thanks

Ha. Thanks man.
    Glad to finally be here. I should have done so a long time ago.