Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

4 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Starting a colony with already pregnant females.

We have a shortage of mice in my area due to the issues with RodentPro, so I've decided to start breeding mice again. I was able to acquire some females from one of the local pet shops, and I picked two that looked prego, just to get babies more quickly.

My question is about setting up a 1:2 colony with a male from a different shop. I never had this problem when I bred before, so I don't know the answer! Will the male be ok with the babies that are soon to come, or are they like new lions taking over a pride and will kill any babies that they think aren't their own, even if they are born after he's introduced?

I only got these kids today, and set them up in a 20 gallon long, and everyone is getting along. He tried to mate with both of them, but it only took a couple tries before he figured out they would have none of that and quit trying.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks

Re: Starting a colony with already pregnant females.

i would take the male out. when i bred mice i always separated the males. the issue would probably be the females eating the babies. rats on the other hand my female rat had a litter while the male was still in the tub with her and they were getting along just fine before i separated them and no babies were eaten by the momma.

1.0 albino
    0.1 black pastel 66% het. albino
    1.0 cinny