Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,245

0 members and 3,245 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    From experience in a grooming salon I'd prefer a standard poodle. They can be a bit hyper but in general many are very sweet, gentle dogs (+ very, very intelligent)!

While maintenance of the coat can be a pain, I love their personality
    Last edited by bad-one; 09-25-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bad-one For This Useful Post:

pinkeye714 (09-26-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Oh, yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by Capray View Post
    This too! It seems the best dogs turn out to be random mutts, often purebreds have several health problems and are slightly nerotic...if your set of a purebred you should sart looking at some dog fancy magazines, they are great.

If you get a rescue dog, you can start off by fostering it, and testing it's limits and behavior before hand.

Actually, "mutts" inherit the same health problems as their parents.
    If you do not know precisely what dogs 'made' the mutt, you can easily double up identical genetic health problems, unknowingly.

"Hybrid vigor" is an unfortunate myth.

At least with purebreds, you have a set list of known issues that assist in diagnosing a health problem.

With mutts, it can be compared to a crap shoot.

For example, you get a mutt that looks like a German Shepherd mix.
    [which could actually be any one of dozens possible combinations, none of them actually being a GSD]

Then, it has eye trouble.

Is the common Pannus issue of GSDs?
    Chronic keratitis?
    Allergies?
    External irritation?
    Malfunctioning lacrimal glands?

Who knows?

You have no 'known breed history' to start by eliminating known breed problems and can easily rack up a fortune in vet bills trying to pin down an accurate diagnoses.

I have nothing against mutts.
    I've had mutts.

But no one should automatically assume a mutt will be any healthier than either parent or the sum of their respective recessive genetic issues.

I would definitely rule out the Catahoula, though.

They are sharp, driven dogs and not for the casual owner.

http://www.westwinddogtraining.com/hybridvigor.pdf

http://ezinearticles.com/?Beware-the...ogs&id=5115104

Narrow down your choices and then find a good reputable breeder who religiously tests for known genetic problems.

Your new dog-friend will share your life for many years and you owe it to yourself and the dog to make sure you have every possible base covered in order to avoid heartbreak to the best of your ability.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Salamander Rising For This Useful Post:

Kara (10-01-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    How about an english mastiff. i've owned many dogs and my mastiff is by far my favorite. he's a big couch potato.

Thanks
    I vote for looking into local rescues and shelters. Who knows which dog might steal your heart not sure if anyone suggested it but take a look at www.petfinder.com
    0.1 Blue Beauty Snake

1.2 Normals
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Pastel Poss Het Ghost
    1.0 Banana Bumblebee

0.1 Common Snapping Turtle

Thanks
    I wouldn't go for a Samoyed or a standard poodle, they both require high grooming needs, and I know Standards can be on the hyper side. A mix coupel be the best match You could also consider a Whippet, if you get it as a pup and introduce it to your Papillon. I love Papillons, wouldn't trade mine for anything. You could also consider something like a Basenji. They are awesome apartment dogs. I have worked with a couple of them, they are fun. But a shelter dog is always a good choice. They really seem to understand that they have been given a second chance

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just wanted to add that I wouldn't suggest a Shiba. I like them...but from my experience working for a vet, Shiba's are nasty little buggers. I swear it's the only breed we muzzle every time because they immediately try to bite. Not sure what they are like at home, I know one of our customers has a lot of trouble with her male...super aggressive dog. Anyway, I hadn't seen a whole lot about them in the thread, so I thought I'd give you the heads up on that little personality quirk. Sure...they're adorable...but a pain none the less, and if you only have experience with Papillions, I wouldn't suggest Shibas. Maybe a corgi? Or an Italian greyhound maybe. Or...just go hang out with some different breeds at the shelter and see which one fits you best.

- Nakita

Thanks
    I have 2 rotts. 1 of which is in my house. My female rott is very good inside protective when need be and loves to play not very hyper at all. I would highly suggest one or German Shephard these are my 2 fave dogs also. Both gret inside dogs in my experience
    SHELBY9189

1.0 Normal (Oscar)
    1.0 Rottweiler (Buddy)
    0.1 Rottweiler (Roxie)

Thanks
    This may sound crazy but most people don't think of this dog because lack of info. For your situation I would highly suggest a retired racing greyhound.

Contrary to popular belief they are perfect apartment dogs. They are nicknamed the 60mp/h couch potato. They don't need any more exercise than a normal larger dog, they don't shed much (but their hair is super short anyways) and they are very friendly.

Seriously look them up online. Retires racing greyhounds. There are plenty of agency's that adopt them out and they make amazing additions to the family. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Interloc,

The only reason I hadn't suggested a retired racing greyhound is because of the Papillon that they have. I love greyhounds and you are right that they make great appartment dogs. But sometimes don't do well with small fuzzy thing, i.e... Papillon running around the house. Sometimes they look at little dogs as if they are a prey item, like a rabbit. That is my only warning about a Retired Greyhound. Other wise they are great dogs

Thanks
    Xolos! They have an awesome temperament, loyal protective, sweet...and best part of all NO HAIR!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    Balls:
    0.1 '?? Normal
    0.1 '10 Pastel
    0.1 '10 Yellowbelly het Genetic Stripe
    1.0 '11 Lesser
    1.0 '09 Lesser
    1.0 '11 Fire
    1.0 '07 Spider
    1.0 '11 Black Pastel

1.0 '81 Husband
    2.0 '03/'10 Offspring