Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

2 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Definitely love my mutts. A mutt can and will fit every requirement and a lot of times are healthier, saving a life, and many times Free!

I couldn't give up my GSD mix for the world. She was found in my friends yard and she is the Perfect dog for us. Such a smart girl!

Angela

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aldebono For This Useful Post:

Capray (09-24-2012)

Registered User slithering house's Avatar
    Thanks
    unless you want to comb for 3 hours samoyeds arent the best suitable dog for an apartment either i have a friend that breeds champion ones and their hair is awfull to comb shibas are great much easier to deal with

Thanks
    I'm a big fan of mutts, especially when you have other furry kids that they need to get along with. As someone mentioned, you can take your pap with ya and see how they interact. As far as purebreds go, the only kind I've ever lived with was a pug. I love the stinker to death, but I'm also partial to only him, have yet to see one that is built as well with so little breathing problems! Not much help in that department, haha. A friend of mine owns an American Eskimo Dog, and she's gorgeous! Like a little white fluffy fox.

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I love my australian cattle dog mutt. I would seriously look into the breed! They are called "velcro dogs" because they love to be right next to you all the time. They are great agility and frisbee dogs and are just so fun! They don't get too big and generally have short bursts of energy. A run/bike once a day should be more than enough to keep their energy levels down.

I also suggest going to a rescue. They have some of the best and sweetest dogs! Plus all their shots are all taken care of. I personally don't like getting dogs as puppies. I like the adults. They need homes too!

But seriously consider an ACD! They are wonderful dogs!!
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Rot are great as well, if your interested in something a little bigger. Our rot is the sweetest dog ever, and a huge couch potato! If we want to go for a walk he is up for it, if we just want to play games or watch tv he will sit right next to us all day long. He will play with oil German Shepard or when we had them he loved to play with the ferrets, who where smaller then his head.
    Skagit Reptiles

Thanks
    I second the rescue/SPCA idea. Great opportunity to help a dog find a home, and for you to find a dog that is personality screened, spayed/neutered, and most likely UTD on health care.

If that isn't the right fit, go on infodog.com & find an all-breed show in your area. AKC shows are a great way to see a wide variety of breeds, and talk to breeders, professional handlers, and owner-handlers. Just remember to leave your own dog at home, and wait to talk to exhibitors when they're out of the ring (instead of waiting in line to go in). You may come across a breed you hadn't even considered before that could be just the right dog for your situation. If you do go the purebred route, ensure that the breeder health & temperament tests & titles their dogs. Stay away from BYBs that are only in it for the $$$.

Another idea is to sit in on some obedience classes in your area - especially the puppy kindergarten or intro obedience classes. This can give you an idea of how certain breeds tend to behave in group settings (keeping in mind that every dog is an individual), and also get you familiar with a good place to build an obedience foundation for your future addition.

Good luck!
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks

Re: Wanna help me pick a dog?

We have an Italian Mastiff and he is absolutely the best dog we have ever had. We also have a Boston Terrier, and also a mutt currently.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    When I wanted dog I found a few dog quizzes online. You answer questions about yourself, your living situation, and what qualities in a dog you want and it will give you choices. It showed me dogs I never thought of and some I had never heard of. That's how I found old English bulldogs which turned out to be a perfect match.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Alright THANK YOU Everyone!
    We shall go to the ASPCA :]
    We will continue to look.
    Then I'm tiny like a door mouse
    Short like a bungalow house
    Minute like a pixie
    You can barely even see me

Thanks