Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,026

1 members and 3,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Wanna help me pick a dog?

My hubby and i are moving and want to add a dog. We have one 4 year old papillon right now. She is as sweet as can be. I can do anything to her and she will take it. Though we are looking to add another furry baby. here is what i was looking into, but please feel free to add to the list.
    -Standard poodle, Shiba inu, Catahoula leopard dog or a Samoyed.
    We do want a bigger dog, medium or up.
    We wil live in apartment decent space though
    will be alone with the other dog for 6 hours a day. shorter on others.
    There is a dog park close by i would enjoying using more
    i have a bike i would like using with the dog for 30 min to an hour. will try my best to do everyday.
    I do not mind shedding, i have a Vacuum and i enjoying brushing and grooming my dog. it is bonding time.
    I am not sure if i can handle a dominate dog. Papillon is the only breed i have experienced with personally.
    No children but they might visit once a year if i am lucky. family lives cross country ahah
    I do not want a high energy dog like a Husky. I honestly do not think i can keep up with the animal ahah.
    must be okay in warm weather, I live in Florida. It only is cold for about 4 months?

Ahah any ideas? Thank you! XD
    Last edited by pinkeye714; 09-24-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    Then I'm tiny like a door mouse
    Short like a bungalow house
    Minute like a pixie
    You can barely even see me

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    I know Catahoula's are high energy and don't think would be good for an apartment.

IMO, get a cat, they are better!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    Shiba's are beautiful, but they are semi high energy (not too much over a pappy), but keep in mind they have a very thick coat. It's not long, but it's thick. Like a little bear.
    Samoyed's are beautiful, but again, very thick coat. Not sure of their temperament personally.
    Standard's fair well in our weather, can be high energy up to around 4-5 years old, and are big, might be too big for an apartment. They run upwards of 50lbs and most apartments that are pet friendly usually want 30lb max. (some even as low as 15lb)

Honestly, if they are in an air conditioned home most of the day, and you are doing the running / biking in the evening or early morning it isn't a huge deal. Just make sure you always pay attention to your dog, it will let you know when it's getting over-heated from too much play time.

From your list, I think the Shiba is a good fit. They make good apartment pups and have enough energy to run with you. You can also have them groomed lion-style to cut down on heat in the summer. (so freaking adorable seeing a shiba lion cut lol)

I would add to your list the following breeds, Google them and check out which ones you think might work for you
    Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) (I'm biased...love my sheltie )
    Greyhound (these guys are couch potatoes, and getting one from a racer rescue is always a great thing, they love to bike-run check the weight requirements though)

My personal opinion would be to adopt from a shelter, or rescue a racer greyhound.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,088 Posts
    If you are in an apartment I dont think a Samoyed is a good idea. They have a lot of fur and need some space. They have a good temperament but you will be vacuuming twice a day with the amount they shed and it will be all over your clothes and everything you own. I would say a Shibas size is better for an apartment but not sure how their energy and temperament.
    -Andrew Hall-

Good night Chesty, wherever you are....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andybill For This Useful Post:

pinkeye714 (09-24-2012)

Thanks
    do some research on boxers! They are very *energetic, athletic* puppies, but if trained properly as adults they are really great. They are incredibly smart, and can leap amazingly...they are short haired. Or get a cat. Or some pet rats, which are just tiny weaseldogs.
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capray For This Useful Post:

pinkeye714 (09-24-2012),sissysnakes (09-24-2012)

Thanks

Re: Wanna help me pick a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyReps View Post
    Shiba's are beautiful, but they are semi high energy (not too much over a pappy), but keep in mind they have a very thick coat. It's not long, but it's thick. Like a little bear.
    Samoyed's are beautiful, but again, very thick coat. Not sure of their temperament personally.
    Standard's fair well in our weather, can be high energy up to around 4-5 years old, and are big, might be too big for an apartment. They run upwards of 50lbs and most apartments that are pet friendly usually want 30lb max. (some even as low as 15lb)

Honestly, if they are in an air conditioned home most of the day, and you are doing the running / biking in the evening or early morning it isn't a huge deal. Just make sure you always pay attention to your dog, it will let you know when it's getting over-heated from too much play time.

From your list, I think the Shiba is a good fit. They make good apartment pups and have enough energy to run with you. You can also have them groomed lion-style to cut down on heat in the summer. (so freaking adorable seeing a shiba lion cut lol)

I would add to your list the following breeds, Google them and check out which ones you think might work for you
    Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) (I'm biased...love my sheltie )
    Greyhound (these guys are couch potatoes, and getting one from a racer rescue is always a great thing, they love to bike-run check the weight requirements though)

My personal opinion would be to adopt from a shelter, or rescue a racer greyhound.
    Thank you. I do not mind shedding. That is not to much of a problem for me. My pappy sheds. maybe not as much as a sammy or shiba would of course ahah.
    I guess my main concern with picking a dog, is the energy level. I do like to go for walks and jogs and if the dog needed, a bike ride. :] I know all dogs need the exercise. but instead of seeing how many stars a dog has or what the "breeders" say. I want to know from real people ahah.

I thought shibas have a double coat? wouldn't shaving them damage the coat?
    Thank you again. I shall look more into shelties. I wanted a greyhound originally, but most do not like cats or small things. and that wont be good for my little papillon. she is no bigger then a cat ahah

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrDooLittle View Post
    I know Catahoula's are high energy and don't think would be good for an apartment.

IMO, get a cat, they are better!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    That is what i was told, Though a customer of the shop comes in who owns Black Mouth curs, (i know not exactly the same thing but is a cur none the less) saying they are not as high as some say and will do fine in an apartment as long as the energy is let out. But that is only one person telling me that. and online i read they cannot. So i am iffy there.

I do not want a cat, They are wonderful but i cannot fall in love with them :[
    Then I'm tiny like a door mouse
    Short like a bungalow house
    Minute like a pixie
    You can barely even see me

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts
    I agree on the boxers. They are great dogs just a little too slobbery for my taste.

Have you considered a corgi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Marissa~

Thanks
    Why not check out your local humane society? There are thousands of lovable mutts without homes. You could probably bring your papillon in to see how they interact, or at least someone would be able to direct you to a dog-friendly individual. Adoptions are generally less expensive than a pure-bred too (though you should be able to financially comfortable enough to support your pets, of course).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chkadii For This Useful Post:

Capray (09-24-2012)

Thanks

Oh, yeah..

This too! It seems the best dogs turn out to be random mutts, often purebreds have several health problems and are slightly nerotic...if your set of a purebred you should sart looking at some dog fancy magazines, they are great.

If you get a rescue dog, you can start off by fostering it, and testing it's limits and behavior before hand.
    Last edited by Capray; 09-24-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: forgot to add...
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness

Thanks
    Our latest dog is a rescue, the last one to be rescued in her litter. She is really sweet and gets along well with my other dog, an American Bulldog. You might want to check with a couple of rescues in your area and see what they have available.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast