Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,353

1 members and 3,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VP of Cool
    Thanks
    Almost everyone I know hates them They all laughed at my sweet little baby and talked about barbecuing him :shock: :evil: You guys are my friends now
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

How do you deal with people who hate snakes?

I try to educate people mainly...most are afraid or hate snakes because they don't really know anything about them. If that doesn't work, I just ignore them, lol.

Thanks
    I just feed them to a big fat AfRock,
    2.1.0 Kidletts
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Rex)
    0.0.1 Okeetee Corn (Maizey)
    1.1.0 BCI (Lancelot & Ruby)
    0.1.0 Cat (Ginger)
    1.0.0 Pughuahua (Ranger)

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    LOL! I know I tried my best to enlighten them about these wonderful creatures but alas to avail. A friend of mine wouldn't come within ten feet of me if I'm holding my balls :lol:
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Like Bruce Lee up there says, most people hate snakes because they fear them. It is natural to hate things that you don't understand. I was one of the masses that hated snakes when I was younger. I just always saw them depicted as representing Satan & evil or as being dangerous. But, when I was 15 or so, a friend of mine had a Boa. I am not sure what kind it was cuz this is goin back 10 years now. But, He brought the boa out & I was freakin. I told him to get the damn thing away from me or i would kill it. I was just scared, that was all. My friend asked me to just trust him. He said "Just put your hand out & TRUST me."

I did as he said & the boa nestled his head into my palm as he wrapped his body around my forearm. I was ok with that. Then, the boa started to work his way up my arm & I started to freak. Keith just told me to relax & continue to trust him. Wouldn't ya know the boa just crawled up my arm & coiled up on my head & sat there. He was just lookin for the heat. He musta sat there for half an hour. Every now & then he would peek his head out & take a look around. After that, i realized that snakes are not nasty or evil. Then of course my suitemate brought his Ball Python up to school & I fell in love with him. I wanted my own after that.

My girlfriend was one of those snake haters too. But, she is already falling in love with Jack because she is starting to see that the only reason snakes strike or hiss is because they are scared. I love my Mr. Man! Now she does too. It is all about trying to educate people. The problem is, people who have lived with the mis-conceptions for some 30 years are not too likely to change their minds.
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes it feels like owning a snake is one of those social issues that you have to keep in the closet. My daughter is one to pipe up in the middle of any adult conversation to tell everyone about her pet snake. The looks I usually get when she does that could cut glass or scare little children. LOL I usually try to explain that snakes are really neat pets that don't bark or poop on the carpet or eat you out of house 'n home....but generally to no avail.

It's always a pleasant experience on those rare occassions when someone's face lights up at the news...or they at least start asking interested questions, rather than dismiss the whole thing as some evil to be tolerated.

Personally, I really don't like tarantulas or any other invertebrate...but I don't get revulsed at the idea of people keeping them...I actually want to know more about it, even if I don't want to keep them myself. I don't think I'll ever get why more people aren't at least that accepting. :shrug: (We really need a shrugging smiley...LOL)
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I put sugar and ants in their cars.

Actually, some I educate, some I convert, some I ignore, and some I just see away from my home. It all depends on how important the person is to me.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    Educate those who are willing to listen, ignore the others. I brought Eleanor into school for my science class and there were only maybe three people who were still afraid at the end of class. Then my art teacher (who was terrified of snakes) wanted to see what she looked like, and now she's begging for me to bring Eleanor back in at the end of the year for a good-bye visit Eleanor was a great visitor, she never balled up or tried to hide from when we left the house in the morning to when we got home. She was more curious than some of my classmates were! It helps to have a really docile snake to get people over their fears.
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well for me the family hates snakes and it is all my grandmothers fault, not really, but she has been bitten by 2 snakes in her life. Once when she was a little girl I can't remember what kind but I know that it was venemous. The other was watersnake in the country and I was there when it happened. That is what really made me dislike snakes. Now I absolutely think they are amazing and want more. I don't intend to convert the rest of my family because I understand why they don't have a nice warm feelings about snakes. They try not to disrespect our love for the animails though.

Thanks
    Judy, I agree. It does sometimes seem like something you have to "keep in the closet," even though I do sometimes take delight in telling people we have 9 snakes. I think you're even more wary of telling people about your legless pets when you're supposed to be a responsible parent.

My experience with people has been that people who have an intense aversion to snakes are people who have had no contact or experience with them. They know nothing about them except what they see in movies, and they are convinced that they'll feel slimy. So I guess I'd say education is the best way to deal with people who hate snakes. Of course, you're not going to convert everyone. Some people won't even listen to what you have to say, but the least you can do is try, and maybe, every once in while, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast