Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,089

0 members and 3,089 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Aaron, did you ever get this back on track and get some final results?
    I'm curious about this. My snakes are kept with various combinations of heat lamps and UTH, and I've noticed the one without supplementary light is by far the most active during the day. I assumed it was a quirk of the snake, but there might be something to this lighting business.
    0.2 Caramel Albino, 0.1 Caravanah, 0.1 Mojave Bumblebee, 0.1 Butter Pinstripe, 0.0.1 Normal, 1.0 Fire, 1.0 Spider, 1.0 Pastel Calico

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Iris
    1.1 Boa Constrictor Constrictor - Scarlet & Handsome Jack
    1.0 Woma Python - Nigel
    0.1 Corn Snake - Maisie
    1.1 Red Eared Sliders - Esteban & Dolores

Thanks
    Ive used a full uv spectrum for 2out of 4 years with my snake. Yes, occasional daytime roaming(ecpecially if you drop the temp a few degrees). After a few months we noticed richer coloration after a shed. Never had a hunger strike. Shes far more relaxed at ALL times like feeding and such when they are in go mode, she dont care lol. We get occasional day time basking. If you pay attention you will notice all kinds of small positive changes.

We use on all tanks snakes, frogs, lizards....
    56-65 k grow lights(full spectrum) NOTE: they mainly produce UVA ONLY a uvb must be used
    5.0-10.0 zoo med uvb's
    And 40w reds for supplemental heat.

It takes a little bit but small behavioral changes will come first. It took about a year before i realized my olive green lady was actually a pretty gold/bronze.

You gotta think all animals, hiders or not, rely on the sun for alot of nutrients, skin development, immune system building, digestion(not just a warm belly) and alot of other vital life functions. So while corner cutting pet owners only get the bare necessities(infuriates me, i want to snap on alot of people but i shut up and be respectful), its better in the long run to simulate "Real Nature" as close as you can.

Give it a whirl and keep an eye on your logbook for changes to begin(if you have a logbook lol)
    Last edited by Kris Mclaughlin; 03-23-2015 at 12:40 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Mclaughlin For This Useful Post:

CrazyPiston (04-04-2015)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    By the way, full spectrum lamps on humans is an obsolete technology and even artists are hardly using these lamps anymore. Fluorescent has gone leaps and bounds over previous years.
    Since in the wild these snakes would occasionally see daylight, it might be for their benefit. The eyes of animals absorb the UV rays and the specific spectrum, at least on daytime animals has a very distinct effect on the body.

Even sleeping next to a blue LED digital clock next to the bed has shown to produce much less quality sleep. Blue wavelengths wake up the mind.

Thanks
    Then its a good thing were discussing uv for snakes and not humans lmao. Theres even current vet/herp studies showing the benefit of full uv on captive reptile/amphibians.

Thanks
    This is interesting. Ive been thinking of installing good broad spectrum light for my bullsnake and my pine. I will probably work my way over to my corns as well.
    You use both a uvb and a broad spectrum? Where do you get the grow lights? You must have a gob of fixtures and cords for each cage.
    I sure would like to see a picture of the setups.
    Last edited by Miranda2; 03-23-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Re: The Full Spectrum Lighting Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Mclaughlin View Post
    Then its a good thing were discussing uv for snakes and not humans lmao. Theres even current vet/herp studies showing the benefit of full uv on captive reptile/amphibians.
    Yeah I was multitasking while writing the last post. I think my point was that animals evolved for a day/night schedule and UV has benefits to life we may not yet understand for nocturnal reptiles.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boomerang For This Useful Post:

Kris Mclaughlin (03-24-2015)

Thanks

its all in the fixture

Its all in the proper fixture. We use mostly exo terra multi switch/socket fixtures. The lid on her tank i made with a few scraps of laminate hardwood and a 1x2. The hood will support a 60w red with no problem if you keep if away from the switch(cheap switches).

Theres a few hydroponics stores in the area so were lucky there. But, plusrite is our brand usually. Google shopping has cases cheap everywhere. I had a better writeup but while looking for the pic on my photobucket my lovely phone refreshed... fml...

Heres a pic of her setup. Ill snag a better one of the bulbs n whatnot from a few tomarrow during my daily poke and prods in the various tanks. Yes the plants are real btw(needs its own thread for that)

Please pardon the temps being different/low. Shiva was in her feeding tub and the lid was off for a while for the one pic
    Last edited by Kris Mclaughlin; 03-24-2015 at 04:03 AM. Reason: love that cell phone grammar

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    I've been considering using live plants as well..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
    I've been considering using live plants as well..
    Well, ground crawlers are your friend. Squish proof and can withstand being poked through and trodded Ivy and other crawlers, mosses, palm grass(squish proof its thick and flexible), and the almighty herp favorite pothos. Pothos is almost impossible to kill... As for a taller thicker plant, well that takes experimenting... That pretty cronos has had its better days but refuses to give up so neither will we. Hoping the stalk thickens up some. We are going to possibly give a bromiade or dracendra a try in there too. They have nice thick foilage and a hearty thick stem. The broms develop beautiful bright orange red or yellow top flower/stalks. They also hold pockets of water from the fogger and misting which i forsee being great for humidity. Our girl loves roaming her little forest and seems more at home and comfy the more i thicken the plant life.

The fogger is a $40 ultrasonic humidifier btw.
    Last edited by Kris Mclaughlin; 03-24-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Mclaughlin View Post
    Well, ground crawlers are your friend. Squish proof and can withstand being poked through and trodded Ivy and other crawlers, mosses, palm grass(squish proof its thick and flexible), and the almighty herp favorite pothos. Pothos is almost impossible to kill... As for a taller thicker plant, well that takes experimenting... That pretty cronos has had its better days but refuses to give up so neither will we. Hoping the stalk thickens up some. We are going to possibly give a bromiade or dracendra a try in there too. They have nice thick foilage and a hearty thick stem. The broms develop beautiful bright orange red or yellow top flower/stalks. They also hold pockets of water from the fogger and misting which i forsee being great for humidity. Our girl loves roaming her little forest and seems more at home and comfy the more i thicken the plant life.

The fogger is a $40 ultrasonic humidifier btw.
    Oh cool, so you bought a fogger for your ball! I was thinking about doing this, I'm tired of hosing the tank down in the morning and at night just to keep it up above 50% humidity.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast