Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,532

0 members and 3,532 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: The Full Spectrum Lighting Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by barbie.dragon View Post
    How many individuals are in each group? Unfortunately if there is a small size in each group it wont help much

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    There is only 1 per group. But that is why I am running it 4 times so each snake will have all 4 types of light. This isn't meant to be a lab grade experiment. I'm being as through as possible but I don't have the resources for a large scale test.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    This is a clearly long term project I am very interested in results but we as a community need to be patient it will take time.

Aaron, I wonder what it will be like as adults. I personally find sub adult snakes rarely refuse and will often feed even after events that are stressful, (like travelling my latest addition was interested (and fed) they day he was driven 770 Km in a bag. I got him home at 2 pm and he showed interest in feeding (feeding day) so I thawed a pinkie for him and presto.) I have only a few animals under 900gm range refuse at all, it is over that mark that I get refusals. My oldest (20+) refuses regularly. I wonder if the back side might be influenced by this or not. It may take a couple of rounds to get more reliable results. I can't say but with a small sampling it may take a lot of repeated results to make up for that.

Thanks

I use a 5.0 tropical uvb with my ball during his daylight hours, is that full spectrum?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByDabs View Post
    I use a 5.0 tropical uvb with my ball during his daylight hours, is that full spectrum?

It should tell you on the light bulb's packaging....I would assume not if its specifically just a UVB light bulb......Full spectrum would mean both UVA AND UVB is my understanding...more experienced light ppl please correct me if I am incorrect...
    Last edited by OsirisRa32; 02-11-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    1.1 Pinstripe - Orion/Eos
    1.1 Lessers - Typhon/Kali
    0.2 Dinkers - Stella & Wildfire
    1.0 Desert - No Name
    1.0 Het Red Axanthic - No name
    0.1 Woma- Cayenne
    0.1 Cinnamon- Nutmeg
    2.1 Mojave- No names
    1.0 Mystic- No Name
    0.1 Mahagony- No Name
    1.0 Black Pastel- No Name
    1.0 SD Tiger Retic- Thor
    0.0.1 Green Tree Python (Apollo)
    0.2 Labs- Daisy & Ruby

Thanks

"Tropical" bulbs are going to be full spectrum because they are emitting visible light in addition to UVB light. If UVB light is being emitted, then UVA light is going to be emitted as well - it is "on the way" as far as the spectrum is concerned; to emit UVB and visible light, you also have to emit UVA, as it's the wavelength of light inbetween them.

Fun fact, most bulbs that emit visible light of any kind also usually emit UVA.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LLLReptile View Post
    "Tropical" bulbs are going to be full spectrum because they are emitting visible light in addition to UVB light. If UVB light is being emitted, then UVA light is going to be emitted as well - it is "on the way" as far as the spectrum is concerned; to emit UVB and visible light, you also have to emit UVA, as it's the wavelength of light inbetween them.

Fun fact, most bulbs that emit visible light of any kind also usually emit UVA.

-Jen
    Ty

Thanks

Somebody have a lot of confusion!!! Actually they wanted to know What is Full spectrum light?

The term "Full Spectrum" implies that a lamp is designed to produce energy across the full visible spectrum like natural light. This term is often used to describe metal halide arc tube lamps.
    Full spectrum light is light that covers the electromagnetic spectrum from infrared to near-ultraviolet, or all wavelengths that are useful to plant or animal life; in particular, sunlight is considered full spectrum, even though the solar spectral distribution reaching Earth changes with time of day, latitude, and atmospheric conditions.
    Last edited by mayeendu2013; 03-08-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks

The Full Spectrum Lighting Experiment

some other Uses of full spectrum light

1. Full spectrum fluorescent lamps are used in the art studio to make sure that the colors they are using appear in their natural hue as they will appear when the painting is displayed in a home or in an art gallery. Full-spectrum lamps are also used by color scientists or color matchers in paint stores to match colors at night or inside when they don't have access to north sunlight.

2. Full spectrum lighting is used both for tropical and marine fish as well as many other water pets. The use of full spectrum lighting assists aquarium plants to grow and aids in the health of the fish and the tank as a whole.

3. Gardening under lights keeps plants blooming almost year-round, for a wintertime harvest. Some plants grow better when given more of a certain color light, due to the mechanism of photosynthesis.

4. Full spectrum lighting has been used in the treatment of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) through the use of "light boxes" that mimic natural sunlight, which may not be available in some areas during the winter months.

Thanks
    I just found this thread, but isn't it time for another update? I'm very interested in the second wave of results. On a side note, I'm curious of the differences in types of bulbs, considering all are full-spectrum. Halogen bulbs for instance, I'm led to believe are more hazardous. Of course I'm also not aware of which ones come full-spectrum.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qoph View Post
    I just found this thread, but isn't it time for another update? I'm very interested in the second wave of results. On a side note, I'm curious of the differences in types of bulbs, considering all are full-spectrum. Halogen bulbs for instance, I'm led to believe are more hazardous. Of course I'm also not aware of which ones come full-spectrum.
    I've had to temporally postpone the experiment due to a lightning storm that blew out more than half of the ballasts in my light fixtures. I'm still in the process of getting the fixtures back up and running.

This thread is only looking at linear fluorescent light bulbs.

Most light bulbs are not full spectrum as it requires a special type of quarts glass to allow the lower wavelengths to pass through (or no protective glass at all in the case of some HID lights) . This is one of the reasons why UV and full spectrum bulbs tend to cost more.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast