Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

2 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    BOAS
    1.0 Pastel Dream ghost poss 66% het sharp,1.2 Monstertail dh Sharp Sunglow,1.0 Monstertail het Sharp, 1.0 Hypo poss 50% het Albino 50% strip, 1.0 Mexican BCI, 0.1 Classic Columbia type, 0.1 Mexican BCI / Brazilian BCC cross, 0.1 Albino 25% Suriname cross, 0.1 Sharp 66% het anery, 1.1 66% poss Parahet, 0.1 arabesque poss jungle, 1.0 anery het sharp, 0.1 lemke/lucy pastel salmon 50% het anery 1.1 aney kenyan sand boa, 1.1 bullseye/pearl brb
    BALLS
    1.0 spider,1.0 fire, 1.0 ghost, 0.1 pastel, 0.1 pastel het ghost, 0.2 normal

2. The Following User Says Thank You to minguss For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    http://vetmed.illinois.edu/mmitch/pdf/corn%20snake.pdf

There is another study but I can no longer find reference to it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Any update on the data, Aaron??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OsirisRa32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: The Full Spectrum Lighting Experiment

I keep UVB on my ATBs, and have done it on other species before as well. Ball Pythons tend to be lumps regardless... but I found my other species exhibited a wider range of behaviors (the ATBs are clearly nocturnal but their perching/basking/nighttime movements were distinctly different with a UVB light vs without), and did well with them. I like lighting cages with UVB lights, either 2.0 or 5.0 in most cases... You see a more noticeable difference in insect eating lizards, even nocturnal ones like Leopard Geckos, when they're kept with it, but I feel even though snakes don't *need* light, they at worst don't mind it, and at best do better with it.

I think we understand less about how reptiles perceive and utilize light than we think we do, and we're still scratching the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the lighting discussion. In most snakes, it is a less relevant discussion than with a majority of lizards, but it's still an interesting discussion to have. Looking forward to see what the results were like

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LLLReptile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up man. I havnt been on for a long time and this was the first thread I read.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rickIM For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Well here is the first update. Unfortunately there aren't any meaningful results yet. I have completed the first round of testing. I will now be switching the bulbs so that each snake has a different bulb. I will run the test 3 more times so each snake will get each bulb. This is why the current results are meaningless. I don't have anything to compare them to.

The snake that did the best was the snake without any artificial lighting. she ate the best, and subsequently grew the most (proportionally to her weight).

The runner up had the nature sun 2.0 bulb.

Third Place goes to Cage #2. This had a standard tube from AP. (Low color temperature/yellow tinted light)

Fourth place goes to Cage #3 This cage had a high color temperature bulb in it (4200K)

There wasn't a huge difference in the snakes, but The girl that was in total darkness grew a noticeable amount while the others not so much. They didn't eat as regularly as she did. But of course I don't have enough data yet to claim that her growth was due to the lack of artificial light and not something else.

The next update will be in 4 months. Then we will start to get results that might actually mean something!
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 01-25-2013 at 03:38 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

interesting update....

a few small questions

Was the snake that did the best during the experiment, also your better eating/growing snake before the experiment started?

how are you measuring growth...weight and diameter/length? or just weight?

other than growth/eating habits did you observe any noticeable activity level changes?

Are growth measurements correctly adjusted for snakes varying ages and weights before the experiment started?

Thanks!!

Looking forward to the next set of results!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OsirisRa32 For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OsirisRa32 View Post
    interesting update....

a few small questions

Was the snake that did the best during the experiment, also your better eating/growing snake before the experiment started?

She wasn't eating as consistently, but was about on par with the other female in the test (the other female had similar eating habits before and during the first round of testing)

how are you measuring growth...weight and diameter/length? or just weight?

I am measuring growth by weight in grams, and total length

other than growth/eating habits did you observe any noticeable activity level changes?

Her habits did change some, almost all of my snakes are active between midnight, and 2:00 A.M. Once I put her in total darkness, I have noticed her out and about during the day more often. She also more readily eats at any time of the day vs before when she ate more consistently at night.

Are growth measurements correctly adjusted for snakes varying ages and weights before the experiment started?

All of the BP's in this experiment are around the same age (within 6 months. All are mid - late 2011's) I have 2 males, and 2 females in the experiment. Because of this I am leveling the playing field. I am taking the amount of weight that the snake put on and put it into proportion with the snakes starting weight. Basically I am measuring the % increase in weight. No matter what the starting weight, these numbers can be compared with each other. (I am doing the same for length) I don't measure girth, but that value could be derived by taking the total length of the snake, and dividing it by the total weight. This will tell you how much the snake weighs per inch.

Thanks!!

Looking forward to the next set of results!!
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 01-25-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanks for the additional info...glad to see your being quite thorough!

Thanks

How many individuals are in each group? Unfortunately if there is a small size in each group it wont help much

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.1 Albino Ball Python

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast