Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

1 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Jailbroken Phone tethering is a joke. The carriers will throttle your data once you've gone past a certain limit. Even if you have "unlimited" data. I've tethered before and it barely works. Its the slowest internet on the planet.

Is tethering really the final deciding factor when it comes down to which phone is "better"? There is no such thing.

These phones are all good at what they do and are not comparable.

Android has a rough time because it has to write software to be used over many different devices, most of which the OS has no control over the phone. Some people call that a deficiency but I think that is a selling point.

Apple has complete control of the OS and the device, making it more streamlined.

They both have pros and cons. The iPhone is a great phone, but so is my galaxy nexus

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I've tethered fine off my Android without additional service fees. I was even able to play modern first person shooter games on online servers with other co-op players without any sort of lag or loss of connection. Overclocking anyone?

I use tethering when my university network is jammed up during class. It's much faster connecting my laptop to the phone in this case.....I have unlimited data, so it hasn't been a problem....

I haven't read the whole thread. Either way, I've used apple products in the past. Had a bunch in highschool. Had an iPhone. And I won't ever go back to it. I find that my Android phones have been far superior in regards to 'smart phone' and capabilities. I just can't stand iPhones.

My mom has an iPhone. My dad has an Android. There will always be people who prefer one over the other. The argument is pointless....

And I have to say the new power plug for the iPhone is stupid. I know its a marketing ploy, but it should just be the universal mini USB like every other phone and accessory out there....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 09-22-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: iPhone 5 fails again...

tethering is something my device i own does, it is not a service. the service is the data being delievered to my phone, which i pay for. They have no say over what i do with my device i own, about all they can do is say my warrenty is void. which they dont.

i work in construction there is never any wifi where i work, if i want to work on anything i can now. play onlines games or do w/e i wish. heck when power goes out, it doesnt limit me. i also travel around, again im never limited. if its not a big deal to any of you thats fine. i never said iphone was sucked, those were your words, i just said i never understood the appeal to it. im not limited with android. apple limits me in more ways than one, widgets, unapproved apps, customizability and in the us free tethering. with those perks, i get a phone that outspecs another for the same price.

i still have yet to see anyone bring up a point on how the iphone is better. however seem to have no problem justifying where it lacks. if its the right phone for you, so be it. why are you arguing though and getting all worked up? no one is attacking you personally. my mom uses a flip phone with a full keyboard and a very simple OS, its the perfect phone for her and i wouldnt recomend anything else for her. shes not going to argue its a better phone or better OS. its just better for her.

ill go back to my FF7 now

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Tethering in general is an amazing thing. All throughout college I used it when traveling between Boston and NY. Either the bus had no Wi-Fi or it was just overloaded by everyone trying to use it. So I tethered to my phone instead :-). Got a lot projects done on those 4 hour trips.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    tethering is something my device i own does, it is not a service. the service is the data being delievered to my phone, which i pay for. They have no say over what i do with my device i own, about all they can do is say my warrenty is void. which they dont.

i work in construction there is never any wifi where i work, if i want to work on anything i can now. play onlines games or do w/e i wish. heck when power goes out, it doesnt limit me. i also travel around, again im never limited. if its not a big deal to any of you thats fine. i never said iphone was sucked, those were your words, i just said i never understood the appeal to it. im not limited with android. apple limits me in more ways than one, widgets, unapproved apps, customizability and in the us free tethering. with those perks, i get a phone that outspecs another for the same price.

i still have yet to see anyone bring up a point on how the iphone is better. however seem to have no problem justifying where it lacks. if its the right phone for you, so be it. why are you arguing though and getting all worked up? no one is attacking you personally. my mom uses a flip phone with a full keyboard and a very simple OS, its the perfect phone for her and i wouldnt recomend anything else for her. shes not going to argue its a better phone or better OS. its just better for her.

ill go back to my FF7 now
    That's what it boils down to, people need to use what THEY like, and not argue which is better

No ones phone is better in any way to someone else's preference. For ME, iPhone is better and that's where its at. For OTHERS, android is king. I don't hate on them for liking android as I expect them to not hate on me for liking apple products. I have had many many android users basically tell me I'm an idiot for liking the iPhone. When I ask if they have ever tried it, its always "no, I don't need to". I just don't understand how someone can hate something so much that they have never even tried? Even if they said they did try it, it was usually the first or second Gen. IPhone has come along way since then. But even if they did try it and not like it, why does it matter if I do? Enjoy what you like and let me enjoy mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Zombie; 09-22-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh also I noticed that several of these opinions on iOS vs Android are formed based on the consumer experience.

Just out of curiosity... do we have any app developers here? I would like to hear some opinions on which OS is preferred.

As far as I know, apps are implemented in Objective C for iOS. I also hear that that Apple has some pretty robust developer tools and documentation especially in terms of implementing UI and design (Ever wonder why some iOS apps look better than their Android counter parts?) Android apparently not so much. A few years back, my friend actually switched from Android to iOS because he found it easier to to develop apps for.

At the same time, Android uses Java, one of the most commonly used languages in th programming world. Objective C might pose as a challenge to those who are not familiar with C or C++ (pointers for example). Speaking of pointers, Objective C does not have garbage collection for iPhone. AND I got to say that with Android you have much more freedom with what you can do. Whereas iOS is much more constrained.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    I could see where using Java could be more user friendly, but I adore C++ over Java. I haven't tried my hand at programming for either but I'm going to start because I want a good record keeping program that isn't 25 USD.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: iPhone 5 fails again...

Quote Originally Posted by Orenshi View Post
    Oh also I noticed that several of these opinions on iOS vs Android are formed based on the consumer experience.

Just out of curiosity... do we have any app developers here? I would like to hear some opinions on which OS is preferred.

As far as I know, apps are implemented in Objective C for iOS. I also hear that that Apple has some pretty robust developer tools and documentation especially in terms of implementing UI and design (Ever wonder why some iOS apps look better than their Android counter parts?) Android apparently not so much. A few years back, my friend actually switched from Android to iOS because he found it easier to to develop apps for.

At the same time, Android uses Java, one of the most commonly used languages in th programming world. Objective C might pose as a challenge to those who are not familiar with C or C++ (pointers for example). Speaking of pointers, Objective C does not have garbage collection for iPhone. AND I got to say that with Android you have much more freedom with what you can do. Whereas iOS is much more constrained.
    I wrote an app, my brother has made a few. one thing I thought was interesting is is cost 200 dollars for the first year and 100 dollars each year after to have an account to put apps out on apples store, android is a one time 20 dollar lifetime fee.

I think the differences in them are going to depend on the programming experience of the person. if you know C, then ios will not have much of a learning curve, if you know java, android isn't going to have much of a learning curve. I only wrote my app (bending calculator for work) in android, I knew a little bit of java from gaming bots, but still took some time. My brother writes his apps in actionscript (flash) then has something to port them to w/e OS he wants so he can write one thing and have it work on iOS, Android, Blackberry, and I think it might even work for window phones (not 100% sure on that one tho)

so yea I think it will still be the same preference argument lol. I've herd other say you can do more with android apps, but i don't know specifics.

Thanks
    Why is the charger being changed such a huge deal? As technology advances this must change. You didn't hear people getting all ticked off when the Xbox 360 changed the cord from the original Xbox. I don't think it's a big deal at all, my car charger has a spot for a USB so I take the cord off the wall and put in my car. I know, mind blown
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

Thanks

Even my bp had to get the new iPhone
    0.4 normals
    0.1 yellow belly 2012
    0.1 pinstripe 2012
    0.1 caramel albino 2010