Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

3 members and 3,303 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    Okay. So I got the new water python, insulated his tank, and covered the screen with contact paper (with two vents cut into diagonally opposed corners) on the inside and outside so it would hold humidity better, which it does. In fact, it holds humidity too well. The care sheets I've read suggest a humidity level of 70-80% for liasis fuscus. I can't keep the humidity below 80%, and at times it has been around 91-92%. I haven't misted in days, and lastnight I changed the substrate in an attempt to dry out the cage a little. I'm still tweaking the set up, and I figure eventually I'll get the ventilation right to the point that the humidity will hold steady at the appropriate levels.

My concern is - is the high humidity bad for Zephyr? If the temperatures are fine, which they are, is he still at risk for RI? I'm hoping to get the humidity issue worked out in the next day or two, but in the meantime, how worried should I be? I had the little guy out lastnight, and he's fine right now (no mouth-breathing, no sign of mucous, no holding his head up), but I still can't help worrying about him.

I'd be more worried about the humidity getting too low.....Water Pythons come from Marshes and are adapted to moist, high-humidity environments, much like Brazilian Rainbow Boas. Your levels sounds fine to me.....too high doesn't really factor in with these guys as long as you can provide adequate ventilation......which is why I like rubbermiads because they hold humidity so well and provide cross-ventilation with airholes in the side.

Thanks
    Thanks, David. That makes me feel a little better. I've actually been scoping out the Rubbermaids and Sterlites trying to find a good size that's clear enough to let me look in on the little guy without having to take the lid off.