Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

3 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Non refundable deposit?

I have a potential customer that wants to purchase a male spider and female pastel hatchlings from me. We originally planned on me shipping them to her, since she lives about 4 1/2 hours from me, but now she wants me to hold them till the Hamburg show, which is October 20. I am willing to hold them, but I feel I should ask for atleast a non refundable deposit, as that is over a month away. Plus she told me from the get-go she was most likely NOT going to this show.

I have never asked for a deposit before, so if the experienced breeders can give me some input, I'd really appreciate it. How much should I ask for and what if she comes back to me and says she no longer wants to purchase them? How long should I give her to change her mind for the deposit to be non refundable, or should it be non refundable once she gives it to me? Thanks so much for the help!
    Last edited by heathers*bps; 09-07-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: fixed typos
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    A non refundable deposit is, by the definition, non refundable from the get-go. So, I usually see 15-25 percent of the over all price of the purchase as a deposit for general feeding (and mention that's what it's for!) expenses in the mean time. If she's unwilling, tell her the animals will be back up for sale and if they haven't sold she's welcome to come to the show and pay for them.

You're offering a product that other people may want, so why should you hold them for her if she's being sort of flaky? You have overhead, after all.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kodieh For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (09-08-2012),Munizfire (10-18-2012),Romping (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    I am in no way experienced in this sort of thing myself, but what I would tell this person is this. Ask them for a 25% deposit to guarantee them the animal. If they don't pay up, and if someone else inquires and is willing to put a down payment, then so be it.

This down payment allows them to prove they are willing to see the exchange through to the end.

Let's say that this person doesn't end up going to the show and flakes on the deal. You're out a months worth of food for two hatchlings(which isn't a lot but a loss either way) and time through which you could have directed your resources elsewhere. During this time you have also lost potential buyers.

The bottom line is, you can't always trust people on their word. If they do a down payment and then decide to brush off the deal. At least you have a 25% down payment to help cover costs of care during the time lost.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to notmyfault For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (09-08-2012)

Thanks

Re: Non refundable deposit?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodieh View Post
    A non refundable deposit is, by the definition, non refundable from the get-go. So, I usually see 15-25 percent of the over all price of the purchase as a deposit for general feeding (and mention that's what it's for!) expenses in the mean time. If she's unwilling, tell her the animals will be back up for sale and if they haven't sold she's welcome to come to the show and pay for them.

You're offering a product that other people may want, so why should you hold them for her if she's being sort of flaky? You have overhead, after all.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone
    That sounds good. So if I ask her for 25% of the deposit, she agrees and sends it thru PayPal, then 2 days from now she backs out of the deal, she does not get her money back? I just want to be 100% positive on this so I don't look like an idiot in the long run.

Just an fyi, all this is being discussed thru facebook messages, so I can cover my butt if need be. Thanks again for the response!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by notmyfault View Post
    I am in no way experienced in this sort of thing myself, but what I would tell this person is this. Ask them for a 25% deposit to guarantee them the animal. If they don't pay up, and if someone else inquires and is willing to put a down payment, then so be it.

This down payment allows them to prove they are willing to see the exchange through to the end.

Let's say that this person doesn't end up going to the show and flakes on the deal. You're out a months worth of food for two hatchlings(which isn't a lot but a loss either way) and time through which you could have directed your resources elsewhere. During this time you have also lost potential buyers.

The bottom line is, you can't always trust people on their word. If they do a down payment and then decide to brush off the deal. At least you have a 25% down payment to help cover costs of care during the time lost.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Awesome, thank you. I have never made any type of payment on a purchase and I have never accepted one, so I thank you for the input
    *Heather*

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A 20% non-refundable deposit is required to reserve any animal currently in stock. The animal will be placed on hold for a period of 10 days*.

*Animal must be paid for in full within 10 days of initial deposit (unless you opted for a payment plan) or the deposit will be forfeited and the animal re-listed.
    Those are my terms when it comes to payments and deposits.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. She backed out not wanting to pay the deposit. Oh well......
    Last edited by heathers*bps; 09-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    *Heather*

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    It sounds like you lucked out with that one. We regularly accept non-refundable deposits with usually a 2 week timeline for full payment. I've found most people are excited about getting their new animal though and payoff as soon as possible.

Sounds like good advice above but I just want to add that if you offer a non-refundable deposit again, be sure to highlight the non-refundable part in an individual email as it prevents any confusion from a customer not reading the terms on the website.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Dragons View Post
    It sounds like you lucked out with that one. We regularly accept non-refundable deposits with usually a 2 week timeline for full payment. I've found most people are excited about getting their new animal though and payoff as soon as possible.
    I like the 2-week limit, because it'll cover most people's pay periods. Very convenient for those of us buying snakes that cost as much as our rent does.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: Non refundable deposit?

just my recent experience, I had a big credit card bill coming up (big for me at least) because of some home improvement projects. during that time I came across some snakes I wanted to buy, so the breeder made me put down a non refundable 20%. then let me wait til my credit cycle ended so I could put the other 80% on the next cycle to spread it out for me. (btw my PayPal linked to my credit card, wasn't just sending him credit info lol) if I would of backed out at anytime, I would of been out the 20% which I was very aware of. biggest thing was staying in communication with the breeder, both parties agreeing on the terms from the start, and now both of us are happy.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 09-10-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks
    Well at least she backed out now and not on 20 October by not showing up at the show! Now find someone that really wants to those little ones and get 'em sold! LOL
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast