Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,917

1 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,561
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theReptileGuy View Post
    Nice noodle you got there! I'd just be kinda nervous handling it for a little while since I've heard the bite from this guys are pretty bad.
    Are you going to keep your eyes out for another one at NARBC?
    GTP's are the ones with the big teeth. I think that may be what youre thinking. ATB's stay much smaller i think and dont have as big teeth. ATB's only get to 2-3feet and stay slender whereas GTP's can get up to like 6ft i believe.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (09-08-2012),Pampho85 (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: My cute little noodly ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Im a huge fan of these guys! I really want a halloween phase one!

Was yours labeled as a certain phase when you bought it? She/hes gorgeous!
    It wasn't labeled as anything in particular. His/Her colors are still coming in so who knows what it will look like when it is an adult!

Nice noodle you got there! I'd just be kinda nervous handling it for a little while since I've heard the bite from this guys are pretty bad.
    Are you going to keep your eyes out for another one at NARBC?
    Its a little scary getting them out initially, but once they are out they are pretty easy to handle. Obviously you just have to be observent of how the snake is acting. If it seems stressed, time to go back in the enclosure! I am most certainly open to the idea of getting another. Jason just had another amazing litter!!! I will have my eye on a few. We will handle some at NARBC, it will be glorious.

GTP's are the ones with the big teeth. I think that may be what youre thinking. ATB's stay much smaller i think and dont have as big teeth. ATB's only get to 2-3feet and stay slender whereas GTP's can get up to like 6ft i believe.
    They both have pretty big teeth lol. I have a baby GTP as well and I will say I am waaaaay more afraid of it than the ATB. It always hisses and strikes but it is also a baby, so I understand.

ATBs still get pretty long, at least 4' or more. Mine is already more than 2' long and its a teeny tiny baby. They do stay very slender though so they don't weigh much.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

S/he is gorgeous! looks a lot like my patterned orange. They sure a fun species to keep! Their teeth are impressive, my girl is right around 5 feet and 700 grams or so, the bites are generally quick at least! I need to get fresh pics, mine just shed yesterday. Thanks for sharing!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gardenfiend138 For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (09-08-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post

Its a little scary getting them out initially, but once they are out they are pretty easy to handle. Obviously you just have to be observent of how the snake is acting. If it seems stressed, time to go back in the enclosure! I am most certainly open to the idea of getting another. Jason just had another amazing litter!!! I will have my eye on a few. We will handle some at NARBC, it will be glorious.
    I've never handled ATBs, ETBs or GTPs so I'll stay back for a bit. I'd love to handle some at NARBC too, and I hope to see you while I'm there! Do you know what locality yours is?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pampho85 For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (09-08-2012)

Thanks

I've never handled ATBs, ETBs or GTPs so I'll stay back for a bit. I'd love to handle some at NARBC too, and I hope to see you while I'm there! Do you know what locality yours is?
    Its fun You'll try it, trust me lol. You afraid??

I'm sure you will see me there! I'd love to get some of us BP.net folk to go out for lunch or something!

I don't really know if they have localities.. I don't know a whole lot about the color variations other than garden phase, solid, banded, patterned. etc etc ..
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I have seen a few people with known locality types in their collections on amazon-alliance.com, but for the most part locales are not known. Most of the ones in the trade are from a very limited collecting zone I believe, I read exactly where on A-A but don't remember. Some of those from different locales are seriously crazy though! And with regards to handling, I have found removable PVC perches to be the best. I just take out the whole perch and let her come off in her own time, which means you don't have to wrestle them off their perches which is when I've got most of my bites. I still wear long sleeves though!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gardenfiend138 For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Just a note after reading through quickly,
    ATBS can get up to 7 ft, although rarely, and have a pretty good bite. I have a female ATB that was around 6 1/2 ft.

I've been bitten by ATBs, GTPs, BPs, Carpet Pythons, Candoia, and a couple others... none are that bad. Almost all just leave small puncture wounds, unless you smell like food and they pull or if you pull away while still being bit. If I had to say, GTPs have bigger teeth and would probably hurt more. To tell you the truth I'm most wary of being bit by my big Sonoran Desert (Bci) female (4ft) or my yearling Bornean Short-tailed Python (2 ft) simply because of how hard they hit prey items... haha

All can be handled though if picked up correctly and held without constricting them - so they think your arms are branches. Whenever mine are curled up in balls I just grab the whole body quickly and let them unravel in my hand... no issues ever. It's really only difficult when they're awake and alert.
    ~Chris
    Biology Departments - Marist College & Mount Saint Mary College
    carillephoto.com - Wildlife, Landscape, Wedding, & (of course) Snake Photography for sale
    edenexotics.weebly.com - my snake breeding business. Lots of different species, from Ball Pythons through to Bimini Island Boas

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bioteacher For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (09-10-2012)

Thanks

Actually, although GTPs do have nice, long teeth, the ETB is the one that has the really big teeth that I think everyone is thinking of. Bites from an adult can be pretty nasty. I've seen a few 5-6 footers requires a stitch or two. But yeah, most people think ATBs and GTPs have the nasty teeth, but it's really the ETB. They have these enlarged frontal canine-like teeth that look almost like a pair of fangs! I have a pair of ATBs myself, and my male looks like a big version of this guy on here! =) This one belongs to the "colour phase". They tend to be a bit more pricey, but I think it's totally worth it! My male is definitely the more even tempered of my pair, however, they will BOTH bite me something fierce if I allow them. They female especially...she starts striking from the minute I open the cage! =P

Anyway, BEAUtiful snake here! A good temperment as a hatchling is a great sign for this species, from what I have heard and experienced. You're a lucky person to have found such a gorgeous snake without a nasty attitude! Haha. =)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jewelz For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (09-30-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jewelz View Post
    Actually, although GTPs do have nice, long teeth, the ETB is the one that has the really big teeth that I think everyone is thinking of. Bites from an adult can be pretty nasty. I've seen a few 5-6 footers requires a stitch or two. But yeah, most people think ATBs and GTPs have the nasty teeth, but it's really the ETB. They have these enlarged frontal canine-like teeth that look almost like a pair of fangs! I have a pair of ATBs myself, and my male looks like a big version of this guy on here! =) This one belongs to the "colour phase". They tend to be a bit more pricey, but I think it's totally worth it! My male is definitely the more even tempered of my pair, however, they will BOTH bite me something fierce if I allow them. They female especially...she starts striking from the minute I open the cage! =P

Anyway, BEAUtiful snake here! A good temperment as a hatchling is a great sign for this species, from what I have heard and experienced. You're a lucky person to have found such a gorgeous snake without a nasty attitude! Haha. =)
    Very true! I'm just going to stick with ATBs and GTPs. ETBs kinda freak me out a little! Beautiful, but a little scary.

My ATB is so well behaved, it surprises me sometimes! Its usually easiest to handle when it is sleeping curled up. I just scoop it up! It freaks out a little but no hissing, striking, or biting!

The orange is coming in nicely
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Adorable ATB! Lucky on the temperament too, haha. Jason's got great snakes.

Eventually I'm going to need to get over the being bit thing... Getting chewed on by the adult male N.Brazilian red tail? No problem. This nasty little ATB I'm pet sitting, who I need to help with a bad shed? Nightmares.
    1.2 Normal BPs (Sekhmet, Tefnut, Vincent*)
    0.1 Coral Albino RTB (Eisheth)
    1.0 RTB (Cassanova*)
    0.3 Nicaraguan RTB (Type 2 Black Eye Anery w/Genetic Stripe. Eevee*, Daeva, A*)
    0.1 Corn (probably corn/rat mix. Trouble)
    1.0 Splendida King snake (Freebi)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Little Dude*)
    0.2 Halloween Crested Gecko: (Thing1*, Thing2*)
    1.1 Columbian BCC (Oolong, Pippin. Currently fostering with a friend)
    *Long-term pet sitting, not actually mine

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LotusCorvus For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (09-30-2012)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast