Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,362

2 members and 2,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

HELP Possible medical emergency!

Okay, so my carpet python is extremely aggressive. She struck at me from her cage and hit the wall, and when I went over to look at her, part of her lip was wrinkled up like she was snarling. Obviously, she's a snake, so she wasn't. I grabbed her to get a closer look, and it turns out she somehow managed to pierce her lip with the front tooth on the right side. The tooth is still in place and rigid, not loose or wiggly at all. I tried pulling her lip back down over it with tweezers but it just won't come.

I've never seen anything like this so I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. Is there a quick fix that I'm just not thinking of? If not, I'm going to take her to a guy at the LPS who knows what he's doing, and if he can't do anything, I'll make the trek to the herp vet. She doesn't seem to be in that much pain from it, really. I'm more worried about it getting infected than anything else.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: HELP Possible medical emergency!

Hi,

Can you massage the lip down lower by starting at the top of her snout above it?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Please post pics.

I had this happen with a large hogg island boa about 12 years ago. I was trying to spot clean her enclosure but she apparently wasnt accepting visitors. She only ever bit me once and it was pretty hard. I am usually really good at not jerking away when I get bit but I jerked pretty hard that time. When I looked back down at her her lower jaw was curled down about 90 degrees and upper about 30 degrees. I freaked out and took her to the vet. He literally rolled her mouth back into shape. He said as long as she acts fairly normal and takes her next meal with no difficulty she should be fine. She never acted weird and she took her meals perfectly.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go see a vet. It will most likely set your mind at ease. Snakes have pretty flexible jaws. Hopefully it doesnt end up to be too serious.

Good Luck!
    "you only regret the risks in life you DON'T take."

Thanks

Re: HELP Possible medical emergency!

She won't relax long enough for that :/ Grabbing her behind the head is the only way to keep her from flying out of my hands, so she's really tense and she won't relax her face muscles at all.

A friend suggested holding her underwater for a few seconds, so I got a few pictures while trying that. Obviously, it didn't work.

Thanks
    oh...that is way different than I pictured.

I would gently open her mouth. Get the tooth unstuck. Don't worry too much about the tooth coming out of her gums. Snakes lose teeth all the time when they bite prey (or people). I've picked quite a few out of my skin over the years. Just make sure it is out of her upper lip.

Thanks
    I think I'm going to let my guy give it a try first, since he's been keeping for 15 years and I've been keeping for 3 XD If he can't do anything, I'll try again with a toothpick or something.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Darn snakes! You think that everything is fine, and then there is something wrong with them lol!I would take a tongue depressed and git it to open it's mouth. It should be alright though

Thanks
    I dont blame you. I've been keeping for about 25 years now and I have seen a lot but I'd still refer to anyone with more experience. Keep us updated.

Thanks
    O thats too bad! I hope she gets better soon. I probably wouldnt feed her until you feel the mouth is situated.
    Lizards
    1.0 Ornate Uromastyx "Reptar"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The teeth are curved backwards so if i was you i'd find something flat like a small screwdriver and push inwards towards the throat on the skin right above the tooth and it should pop off. that is if it's stuck in the bottom jaw. can't tell by the pic if it's in the bottom or top.
    Last edited by dillan2020; 08-29-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast